DreamWorks Adds Colin Farrell and Toni Collette to Fright Night

DreamWorks Adds Colin Farrell and Toni Collette to Fright NightFor the naysayers who thought DreamWorks might not be taking its Fright Night remake seriously enough, check out the names of the two latest stars to sign up for the film: Golden Globe winner Colin Farrell as Jerry and Emmy winner Toni Collette as Mrs. Brewster.

Per THR's Heat Vision Blog the two join Anton Yelchin in the new version, which sticks to the original concept of a teen (Yelchin) being convinced that his new neighbor is a vampire, though no one will believe him.

Farrell has the plum role of the vampire, named Jerry, who on the surface appears to be a cool guy but is really preying on the neighborhood. Chris Sarandon played the role in the 1985 pic.

Collette is Yelchin's mom, who at first disapproves of the new arrival but changes her attitude when she meets the magnetic man and -- surprise -- doesn't believe her son when he tries to tell her Jerry is a vampire.

As we reported previously, Lars and the Real Girl's Craig Gillespie has officially signed on to take the directorial reins and will be shooting from a script by Marti Noxon ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"). Michael De Luca and Alison Rosenzweig are producing.

Keep it here for more on Fright Night as it comes.

Hunt vampires in the Dread Central forums!

Vanvance1's picture

I know this will be crap because Marti Noxon never once turned in a good Buffy script.

I watched the entire series (even the abysmal first season) and I always pay attention to who wrote what. Noxon's episodes were consistently weak.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 11:06am.
Tshoffie's picture

This whole deal saddens me. Horror is in real trouble right now and i hope one day people will realize it and wake up and do something about it

Submitted by Tshoffie on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:59am.

I'd love to continue saying that horror fans deserve better, but we prove time and time again all we need is nice blood and pretty lights and we're entertained. Hollywood has it on the money about us. We're easily entertained, easily distracted, and easily robbed.

Hell, even I'M a little enticed by the casting of Yelchin and Collette, two gifted actors, but I'm not falling for it all over again. Not anymore. I'm being selective from now on. Let them eat cake.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 10:04am.
LifeMi's picture

The casting of Farrell and Collette got me curious; I'll agree that Farrell seems miscast. Then again, we all thought Heath Ledger was wrong for the Joker and look what happened. Maybe the same thing could happen here. I actually think he's got some acting ability and could do something with the role. Let's wait and see on this one.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:21am.

This is the cycle of the remake all over again:

A Remake? Boo!
They cast who? This could be good.
The trailers look great!
It's getting bad reviews.
I'll see it anyway.
Worst remake ever!
Boo studios! No more remakes!
I'll stick with the original.
Lather, rinse, repeat, cha-ching!
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:35am.
FireRam's picture

Well done Terminal. True, and funny!! Didn't know you had it in ya! LOL

-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:47am.

I'm just getting warmed up.

I don't want to go on a rant here but horror fans are like babies. You dangle pretty stuff in front of them and they'll devour it with a spoon. And then they get a stomach ache later on and cry about it.

That wasn't a rant. Never mind.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:48am.
LifeMi's picture

That was pretty damn funny. Let me make this clear; I am not looking forward to the remake. However, I am curious to see what happens with it. That's not the same as saying I'll go see it. I haven't seen The Stepfather, Children of the Corn or April Fool's Day remakes and never will. If it looks like a waste of time, I won't bother with it.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 1:25pm.
FireRam's picture

April Fools Day remake,oh my, don't get me started. LOL. I'm ashamed (it was so bad) to even admit I saw it.
-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 1:59pm.

I saw it and wow. Awful. Piece of shit. Awful.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 2:07pm.

Have you seen "The hitcher" remake yet? I haven't. I've vowed never to see it. I can't stand seeing Sean Bean wasted.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 1:29pm.
FireRam's picture

I am going to get "stoned" as in with rocks when I say this because alot of people detest it's existence,but, I kind of liked (I did enjoy) The Hitcher remake. See,for whatever reason, I felt BAD at the end. I was like FUCK,NO,AW MAN,so, if I felt something for the character,then that is a win. I don't know why I did or how that even developed,but the end got me so again, viewing win.
-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 2:02pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Are you serious? As craptastic remakes go 'The Hitcher' is top of my pile! Even the shot by shot remake of Psycho (which just had me asking 'why?') can't compare in stupidity to this thing.

The remake of The Hitcher was so bad it was ALMOST Twilight/New Star Wars awful. Hell, throw in Jar Jar and it would have been there.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 3:04pm.

I'll stick with the original, but hey at least someone enjoyed it.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 2:07pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Whatever you do don't see the Children of the Corn remake. Seriously.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 1:28pm.
ZOMBIEFRIENDS's picture

I can't even imagine how or IF they will do Peter Vincent. Mainstream doesn't even know about Horror Hosts. It wouldn't make much since. If you are going by Vampire Killers and totally ridiculous they could make Charlie go find Wesley Snipes LMFO.

Submitted by ZOMBIEFRIENDS on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 11:57pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Booo, hisss... Farrell as a charismatic vampire? I'm not buying it.

One of the best vampire movies of all time and they are wrecking it!

Please tell me Tom Holland got a big payday or maybe even a movie deal for this. There has to be a silver lining.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 11:07pm.

Read about this on Joblo a few hours ago. Wow. Farrell? Really? Yikes. This won't be good.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 10:46pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Colin Farrell was outstanding in In Bruges. And it's not like Chris Saradon is really all that tough an act to follow. Don't get me wrong, like the guy, met the guy, worked on a film with the guy but this isn't like remaking One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest starring Rob Schneider.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 11:17pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Colin Farrell is NOT a character actor; he is always Colin in different clothes. The role calls for someone who can create a personality different from the 'celebrity star'.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 12:41am.

Colin Farrell can't be anyone but Colin Farrell much like Will Smith, Nic Cage, and Sam Worthington.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 7:52am.
FireRam's picture

He certainly can't be my childhood idol, James "Sonny" Crockett.......Pffffft, He didn't even consult D.Johnson.

-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:44am.

That's for sure. He never throws himself in to his characters. I'm pretty sure the directors just say "Colin just be you, because you're great." Hence his stale performances in literally everything he's ever done.

Won't be fooled again with top notch casting for another remake. Not this cowboy.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:46am.
FireRam's picture

Here's the thing though. Is Colin Farrell really "top notch" casting? I don't remember (and I could be wrong) him having any true "hits" lately. He's kind of the "go to" guy if who you really wanted can't/won't take the part. He's like the Mikey(LIFE) of Movies. "Give it to Colin,he'll take it. He'll take anything. HEY, HE LIKES IT. HE LIKES IT!!"

SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 9:55am.

Colin still has a fanbase and still has women swooning over him in spite of becoming Hollywood's IT boy and then fading away considerably. A remake is quick cash, easy acting, and instant revival for a career. Colin still has some appeal, at least I think so. And he'll show us when this remake hits the box office hard in spite of a lot of bad reviews that will follow.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 10:03am.

Gus, Colin Farrell is a one note terrible actor regardless of "In Bruges." He's not going to save this movie.

And this remake is going to stink. Name one good remake in the last five years. This is not going to be the exception no matter who they cast.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 11:43pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

I'm saying he's not the death knell of it. Personally I haven't paid that much attention to him and haven't seen all that many of his films. And I have no clue if this is going to go into the heap of bad remakes. Chances are it will since most of them do.

I'm not invested at all in the original though. It was enjoyable enough and well made but I don't-again personally-put it in the classics category. Roddy McDowell was the most memorable thing about it. Granted I'm crossing the line from the 'eh who cares about remakes' into 'oh for Christ sake I'm sick of hearing about another fucking remake'.

I don't get where you're coming from on your horror fans rant though. Just seems like your being prickly for the sake of being prickly.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 11:02am.

Ay dios mio! Again with the "you're being A for the sake of being A" again. My rant was concerning the fact that horror fans want to be taken seriously but are easily duped in to these bonafide stinkers because they're cast with big stars, that's all I said.

I love the original, but I'm also open to the possibility that the remake will suck major donkey balls.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 11:08am.
Gus Bjork's picture

Fair enough. For the most part I'll see whatever if it looks interesting to me. I don't feel any sort of fan obligation to do one thing or another. Is there a union? I get surly when someone feels the need to tell me what I should or shouldn't support if I'm a 'true' fan.

Most of the remakes out there haven't held any interest to me (Halloween, F13, Nightmare of Elm Street) and I have yet to see them. I saw My Bloody Valentine is about it and I do want to see The Crazies and The Wolf Man. But maybe it's like this damn addiction I have to the SyFy movies. It's like sifting for gold. Most of the time it's a waste of time but every so often you get that rare find and that's great.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 11:26am.

Good points all around, Gus, and you're right in some respects. I'm just going to be extremely selective and picky when it applies to remakes and rehashes and reboots and reduxes and repeats and revisions and rewinds from here on in.

NOES 10 convinced me that anything new and horror related with the word "re" attached to it can't be good.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 11:30am.