Ridley Scott Talks Alien in 3D and Confirms Two Prequels

While doing press for his upcoming Robin Hood feature, it was only a matter of time before the journos in attendance turned the conversation toward the four-hundred-pound Xenomorph in the room -- the Alien prequel.

According to one of many sites on the scene, HitFix, Scott confirmed a couple of things, mainly that it will definitely be in 3D. "Of course it will be in 3D," said Scott. That's a pretty rock solid confirmation if we ever heard one.

Given how amazingly visual a director Ridley is and the fact that he made Alien with little tech at his disposal, it's going to be great seeing what he can cook up with all of today's advancements.

"I had no digital technology at all," Scott said at the junket. "The movies that followed us in the series, they all had tech. But I had no computers at all. 'Alien' was all physical. Even the spaceship, which was about the size of this table. You'd just hang it from a wire and the camera would push in underneath... I was the operator on it myself. You'd try to keep it steady with this fan and all this dry ice blowing to give some sense of movement. That was it. And it worked pretty good, actually."

Even more interesting ... as the junket was coming to a close, Devin Feraci of CHUD.com and the others mentioned to Scott that they're all really curious as to what kind of a prequel he has on tap for everyone, to which Scott replied, "Prequels. Two films," leading up to the events in the original Alien.

Oh, happy day. Ridley doing one more entry in the Alien franchise was great news, but now two? Hell yeah!

Ridley Scott Talks Alien in 3D and Confirms Two Prequels

Scream your head off so even Aliens can hear you in the Dread Central forums!

Gus Bjork's picture

Hey guys, sorry I took off. I had some work I needed to get done. Did I miss anything?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 6:11pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Scott hasn't mad a great movie since Blade Runner. Still I'd rather see this in his hands than someone else's trying to reinvent his franchise.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 1:19pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Wrong! So wrong. Don't make me whip out the filmography again which I will do. Black Hawk Down and American Gangster can definitely be considered great movies and I happen to think the Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is pretty amazing.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 2:30pm.

Black Hawk Down was patriotic propagandist swill, American Gangster was dull as day old bread, and Kingdom of Heaven was very very very very boring and long.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 2:33pm.
FireRam's picture

I still have yet to see Kingdom of Heaven. Or that long ass movie Colin Farrell is in....same type of movie I forget the title. I saw Troy and after that couldn't sit and watch a like movie just yet lol. American Gangster was "ok", nothing spectacular....I was hoping for more action.

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:18pm.

That movie with Farrell I think is "The Lost World" or "The New World," or some stupid shit. Lame ass movie about Pocahantas.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:24pm.
FireRam's picture

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I had to look it up.
ALEXANDER was the movie.

After I watched Troy, Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven came out within a short period of time and I just couldn't watch another "similar" movie just yet haha.

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:34pm.

I don't blame you. Troy sucked, Kingdom of Heaven was boring as piss, and Alexander was torture.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:36pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

So you're not American then I take it.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 2:34pm.

I was born in America. Grew up American. And didn't fall for the endless array of "god bless america, america is the best" war movies that came out after 9/11 like everyone else did. So yep, I'm an American.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 2:37pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Then you're not a patriotic American and have never served this country.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 2:38pm.
moderator Whoa. Are you serious? To me
Debi Moore's picture

Whoa. Are you serious? To me our very MOST patriotic citizens are those who question the government and don't fall in lock-step with whatever they're selling as patriotism du jour. And just because someone hasn't served in the military, that doesn't mean they don't love this country, myself included.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 3:50pm.
Well said

Well said WIB.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:24pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Plato said "Only the dead have seen the end of war." I suggest you start getting used to that idea now.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:15pm.
FireRam's picture

"The idea is not to die for your beliefs. The idea is to let someone else die for theirs".
-Some guy in The Crow:Wicked Prayer

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:22pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

You don't get the choice of being in a war or not because of your beliefs or politics when you're in the military. I decided to join when I was about 14 years old. I aced "A" school and got top honors so I was given the best orders in the class which the instructor waited until last to announce to the class. They were being stationed on a sub tender in Holy Loch, Scotland. If you don't know anything about sub tenders, they don't leave port. That was fucking shore duty in Scotland I had gotten. Just before my flight, my orders were changed and I was sent to a destroyer in the Persian Gulf. I didn't complain once. The guys in the Black Hawk Down incident didn't complain. Every Marine on that base wanted to go out there to get those guys once the mission got fucked up. It's about the men and women at your side, fuck politics. I wasn't a senator I was a soldier.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:35pm.

And I'm not a patriot, but I play one on TV.

Sorry, I had to say it. At ease.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:39pm.
FireRam's picture

And I'm not just the founder of Patriotism Inc., I'm also a client.

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:41pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

So you agree that a movie like Black Hawk Down is propaganda?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:05pm.
moderator In some ways, yes. As are
Debi Moore's picture

In some ways, yes. As are most war films. But they're not always "pro". Propaganda works both ways (i.e., Coming Home on the "anti" side).

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:38pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

You're obviously not understanding where I'm coming from. 2 years ago I went to the Army recruiter. I wanted to give up my great job and become a Ranger and go to Iraq. The politics don't matter to me. Whether we should be there or not, who gives a flying fuck. All I knew was that there were other men there, fellow Americans putting their lives on the line and I felt that I should be there too. They told me I was too old now even with my past service. I was deadly serious about it and I'm still upset that I can't be there. You can analyze every war in history. As I said I did that with the Vietnam War for school. We shouldn't have been there but I would have been there voluntarily. If I were interested in politics I'd be a goddamn politician.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 5:02pm.
moderator You're right; I don't
Debi Moore's picture

You're right; I don't understand. That idea is totally foreign and the exact opposite of my personality and beliefs. The politics of war should be the FIRST thing you analyze before deciding whether or not to get involved. If you're already in the military when war breaks out, that's one thing. But to join up to fight for a cause that you don't believe in ... that's the very definition of crazy and yes, even Anti-American, to me.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 6:43pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

So, if you don't believe in the reasons for us being there then you want to disrepect the men and the women who ARE there? You want to cut them off and not recognize them or acknowledge their existance or what they went through? To me that's what is being argued here. I'm sorry but I feel movies like Platoon, We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down and The Hurt Locker are important. Hell, just as a microcosmic example I think how very wrong the Department of the Navy was for not only the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, the fact that they didn't know they were missing and allowed hundreds of men to be eaten and drown and then pinned the whole thing on the Captain who later killed himself because of it. There are documentaries about it but I think Spielberg needs to make an epic movie so people don't forget. Lots of people today aren't even aware.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:17pm.
moderator I'm not disrespecting
Debi Moore's picture

I'm not disrespecting anybody -- except the hypocritical flag-wavers who feel the need to bring up "support our troops" or "remember 9/11" in everything they say and do when in their hearts they don't give a damn. If they did, they'd get our young men and women the hell out of a war that we have no business being in and ensure vets have proper medical facilities to take care of them once they're home. The state of our VA hospitals is an absolute disgrace. And yes, I know what I'm talking about because my dad was on a waiting list for months to get care and ended up dying before his name came up.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:35pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I wasn't talking about flag wavers, 9/11, politics or any of those things at any point. I was talking about how the men who were involved in the Somalian Conflict deserve to have there stories told. If you disagree with me, especially given that your father served, well WIB I think you are very wrong this time.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:40pm.
moderator I'd prefer to see it in a
Debi Moore's picture

I'd prefer to see it in a documentary, not a fictionalized account, but sure, everyone deserves to have his/her story told, even the people our troops were fighting against. I'd just hope it's being told in a way that doesn't promote a particular agenda.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:47pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

What kind of agenda do you think Ridley had with Black Hawk Down? He isn't even American. I know one thing they changed was when the dude fell out of the helicopter in the beginning. In the movie they fired an RPG at them so they had to move the helicopter while the guy was hitting the rope so he missed. In reality he just missed the rope but they didn't want to embarrass him.

There ARE a couple of documentaries about the USS Indianapolis but how many people have seen them? How many people would go see a new Spielberg movie?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 8:05pm.
FireRam's picture

I watched the documentary on the History channel. I watch alot of documentaries. That was a horrific and tragic event. I walked away for a minute and just sat back down and one thing I have noticed my friend is it seems as if you are not taking to heart anything that is being said. What I mean is you continue (as I read) to bring up troops and that these comments disrespect them. Not a single post says anything about the troops themselves and it seems as though that is what you continue to bring up.No one is forgetting or disrespecting those that serve/served.

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 8:28pm.
moderator I'm not talking specifically
Debi Moore's picture

I'm not talking specifically about Black Hawk Down (I haven't seen it nor do I care to) -- just in general. And your last point is exactly what's wrong with this country. Of course people would rather see a Spielberg movie that ties everything up with a nice pretty bow than the harsh reality of what war is. Atrocities are committed by all sides in all wars.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 8:11pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

The first casualty of war is innocence. Like I said before there will always be war and people will always either decide to be for it or against it but we should never forget the people that have to fight it. And this argument started with Terminal calling Black Hawk Down propaganda swill thereby disrespecting the men, the individuals I could name them all if you want, who lost their lives. The politics of it won't ever change the fact that they died and won't change the incredibly honourable and heroic things they did and it shouldn't. I hate politics but I care about people. And that is what war is about in the end. People. Do you think Schindler's List should never have been made? Should we forget about that too?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 8:21pm.