Another Name Thrown into the Ring to Direct The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn

Stephen Daldry's Name Thrown into the Ring to Direct The Twilight Saga: Breaking DawnThere's pedigree and then there's the kind of pedigree the newest name being bandied about to direct The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn carries. Despite only directing three feature films over the course of his career, Stephen Daldry has been nominated for an Oscar for each of them.

We can thank the LA Times for this latest news concerning the final chapter of The Twilight Saga. Still no word on if it'll wind up being two films or just one, but it is supposed to start shooting this fall so Summit needs to be making up its mind soon.

Daldry joins a list that includes Sofia Coppola, Bill Condon, and Gus Van Sant, all of whom have been approached about taking on the fourth film in the Twilight franchise. Like those three, there are not yet indications Daldry would actually take the gig, but the fact that Summit has reached out to him suggests where its intentions lie for the fourth film.

Having already gone indie with Catherine Hardwicke, polished/commercial with Chris Weitz, and genre auteur with David Slade for the franchise's first three movies, Summit clearly wants a high-end prestige filmmaker to handle the fourth picture.

Look for more on this story soon.

- Debi Moore

Split yourself in two in the Dread Central forums.

Vanvance1's picture

I'll put in my vote for Uwe Boll. I'd like to see if he could make a movie worse than the first Twilight. I'm not sure it's humanly possible but if anyone stands a chance it's Boll.

P.S. If Boll is unavailable Michael Bay is a great choice.

P.P.S. Boll did make Postal and that was actually entertaining, he might be too good for this franchise.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 4:07pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Actually, I'll throw my name into the hat. I want the gay sparkly vampire dude to rip the face off of Bela or whatever her name is cause she's ugly anyway and eat the fetus that the shirtless werewolf boy printed on and then have the werewolf go berserk and rip the gay sparkly vampires intestines out and eat them like spaghetti. Then the gay vampire and stripper/werewolf will have make-up sex and then go snorkling together where they would both be eaten by one of Jaws relatives. The End. Of course it'd be rated NC-17 by the time I got done with it.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 2:36pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

I'll throw my name in for your crew if you wish. If you need an Editor I cut on Avid and own my own copy of Media Composer. I've used both Adrenaline and Symphony stations and cut Red material should that be your choice of camera.

Would you like the fetus scene to be cut a la 300 with plenty of slo-mo and ramps?

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 8:55pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Golden, the fetus eating scene is going to be key and your biggest challenge. I want lots of cameras and angles for it including a mouth and stomach cam. It is going to be the big twist in the whole series where it is revealed that the vampire is indeed gay and only hooks up with and impregnates women to feed on fetuses.

I don't want any quick editing though and there will be no shaky cam. I want the consumption to be seen very clearly and always in focus. I want maybe 15 or so minutes of footage but it can be edited down a bit so as not to take away from the shark attack. I wonder if Bruce is available. I don't want any CGI.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 11:11am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Hm, that shouldn't be a worry. Just shoot LOTS of footage, leave it with me for a day or two so I can cut by myself before I show it you. When you cut, as Walter Murch says, you cut for emotion...so get lots of emotion on the vampire and on the actress' face.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 11:51am.
Floydian Trip's picture

It will be in your hands ultimately. And I will head into the Oscars feeling confident that you will win Best Editing so therefore the film will win Best Picture. Maybe I'll get a Best Director Oscar for it too for saving a franchise. Why not a sweep with Best effects and make-up too. I'll get Iron Maiden to score it so that would certainly be a win.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 1:20pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Hehe, I actually have the director of a student picture I cut last quarter telling me that I'll be sweeping up Editing Awards at Film Festivals. In the slight chance I get any; it won't be because of doing some minor ramping; but that I was able to cut something sort of resembling a movie. Its one of these technically competent; story incompetent student films.

But we should form some kind of a crew package for Summit. You direct, Vanvance does the special effects, I edit (can also operate Ultra Steadicam). Or even better...we make a deal with The Asylum: call it Nearlight: Shattering Evening

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 4:20pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I can handle the special f/x. I'll head out to the craft store and buy all the glitter they have! Then a few tubes of crazy glue and we're set!

P.S. How's a Barbie doll wrapped in pig guts for the fetus?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 9:42pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

And Vanvance the fetus scene is also going to be your biggest challenge. Sorry, no barbi doll. But I like the pig guts. I want the fetus to be actually edible. Use whatever disgusting material you can get your hands on to shape it and allow the actor to stay on his feet for roughly 10 minutes. We'll have paramedics standing by.

Also, go to as many hobby shops as you can for glitter. I want that fucker sparkling more than the sun and definitely enough to obscure that awful hair.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 11:16am.
Floydian Trip's picture

With an editor and special effects of your talents Hollywood will be sure to take notice.

The fetus eating in slo-mo is a great idea with the gnashing of the vampire teeth, blood and grue flinging off to the sides. I'll go with that.

Need a cinematographer and the all important key grip now. I have absolutely no idea what the responsibilities of a key grip are but your name will be in the credits.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 11:15am.

"Sofia Coppola, Bill Condon, and Gus Van Sant"

Are you fucking kidding me?! Those people directing this piece of shit series?! God sakes.

----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 1:47pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

It's gonna either end up being Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson neither one of those guys would give a shit about how nonsensical and absurd the story is. Or if they want to make a Twilight movie that I'll actually watch get fucking Rob Zombie dammit.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 1:40pm.