Sam Worthington to Put the Bite on Dracula: Year Zero

Sam Worthington to Put the Bite on Dracula: Year ZeroThere's no doubt Hollywood's latest golden boy, Sam Worthington, is enjoying the fast track to stardom. From targeting Terminators to getting the blues in a little movie called Avatar to his upcoming tussle with the Titans, the man's making quite the career out of whipping ass. His next stop -- Alex Proyas' Dracula: Year Zero.

Our buds over at Latino Review just broke the news that Worthington will be donning the fangs to play Dracula himself in a film whose script chronicles the epic origin of Dracula, weaving vampire mythology with the true history of Prince Vlad the Impaler. It depicts Dracula as a flawed hero in a tragic love story set in a dark age of magic and war, repositioning him more as a vengeful hero than the monster seen in Bram Stoker's classic novel.

We just don't know about this one. Worthington as Drac? Stranger things have happened. Keep it here for more as it comes.

Enjoy being a hot prospect in the Dread Central forums!

Worthington is gonna milk it obviously, but I think he has a lot to offer the remake happy film industry.

Please read my recent blog about Vlad/Dracula:

Thanks!
Hugh RB

Submitted by Hugh RB on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 9:09pm.

I'll see it because of Proyas, but I'm really sick of Sam Worthington.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 2:14pm.
moderator I like Worthington, but I
Debi Moore's picture

I like Worthington, but I never would have pictured him as Dracula. Yeah, it could work ... or it could be a mess like Bryniarski in Dracula's Guest. Only time will tell.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 2:05pm.
frank_dracman's picture

If it wasn't for Alex Proyas' involvement I would have no interest at all. But I'm willing to give the guy a second chance after Knowing.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 1:16pm.

It's certainly weird casting, but the same was said of Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, as well as of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Heck, when the latter was announced, some fans were threatening to boycott the film, and when the first image of him in character was released, it only got worse. Now, there are people who think he did so good, that the Joker, as a character, should be retired.

I'm not saying Worthington is going to be praised like Ledger was, but we'll see how this works out. Sometimes the weirdest casting ends up working out better than what would be considered obvious casting.

Submitted by Big_Bad_Wolf on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 11:20am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I agree with all of that. I'd be terrible at casting a movie. Hope is fading fast though.

I still think Gary Oldman was the best Dracula in history.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 5:28pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I can't see it.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 11:00am.