UPDATE: Three Sell Sheets for Let the Right One In Redux & Possible Early Casting News

Whether you like it or not, Matt Reeve's retelling of Let the Right One In is on track and coming at us courtesy of Overture Films.

/Film got their hands on the sheets and some refresher info to bring you up-to-speed!

From the site:
The Americanized adaptation is based not on the Alfredson film, but the original novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The character names have been changed to Owen and Abby (rather than Oskar and Eli), who will remain 12-year-olds despite gossip that the film might be teenized to take advantage of the success of Twilight. Avy Kaufman (The Sixth Sense, Garden State, Lemony Snicket) is currently casting the two leads, and it was recently reported that Kodi Smit-McPhee (seen alongside Eric Bana in Romulus, My Father and co-star of The Road) is up for the role of Owen.

*UPDATE* -- Our eagle-eyed reader Big Bad Wolf just dropped us a line that three actresses were in the running for the part of "Abby": Mary (Penny Dreadful) Mouser, Chloe (The Eye and Amityville Horror remakes) Moretz, and Ariel (One Missed Call remake) Winter. According to a post by Chloe Moretz's mother on her IMDB page, she seems to have nabbed the part: "Chloe has booked a fantastic role for a film that she will begin shooting in October 2009." In another post she says,"She leaves to shoot her thriller, drama film in late fall, early winter."

Hopefully we'll get some casting confirmations soon. In the meantime check out one poster below, and click it for the other two!

Three Sell Sheets for Let the Right One In Redux

Be let into the Dread Central forums!

Didn't See It Coming's picture

Ah, the remake police whining about this movie being made. As if every remake takes a little bit of your actual life away. Do you guys bitch every time a classic song is covered?

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 7:04pm.
admin moderator If that is your argument
Jon Condit's picture

If that is your argument then it is sorely lacking.

Songs, plays, sporting games, these are performances and meant to be re-performed.

Paintings, films, photographs, these are things captured and by their very nature not meant to be recaptured but shared in their current form.

Just playing devil's advocate of course.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 7:19pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Films are a medium for telling stories and stories can be told again. In fact, since the inception of drama this has been the case. When extremely talented filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock remade his own films, there really isn't much of an argument against them that will hold water. David Cronenberg and John Carpenter made genre changing remakes. And there have plenty of good remakes through out cinematic history. What makes songs acceptable other than people accept it?

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 10:14pm.
Dr Malachi Constant's picture

TOO SOON, though. Remaking a film just a year or so after the original was released is, quite simply, ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that the powers that be, who've decided to drop their money into said remakes, often seem to go out of their way to make sure nobody sees the original until after their Hollywood-style cash grab hits dvd. See also: [REC] vs. Quarantine ...

I mean, I know Let the Right One in has already been released, but I can't help to think it might have gotten a bigger push from its distributors stateside if the remake weren't already in the works when it hit.

Submitted by Dr Malachi Constant on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 11:08pm.
Spaceshark's picture

Abby? I haven't read the novel so I really can't say - - but the original Swedish film made Eli's gender, well, a point of interest. I wouldn't be surprised if Reeves' version sidesteps it.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 5:37pm.
Dr Malachi Constant's picture

How many virgins do we have to sacrifice, and to what god, in order to stop this movie from happening?

Submitted by Dr Malachi Constant on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 5:19pm.
Vermithrax's picture

I love how they always try to get away with remaking foreign films by saying "oh, it's not based off that, it's based off the novel.." BULLSHIT! I guarantee if the original wasn't made Reeves wouldn't even know what the hell "Let the Right One In" was.

Submitted by Vermithrax on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 5:15pm.

Also, not having seen the film but read the book and reviews of the film, the film seems to be pretty faithful to the novel. Lindquist himself adapted the book no less. So, um, what's going to be different if they go back to the book?

Submitted by untitleduser on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 6:02pm.
Spaceshark's picture

It will now be set in America.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 6:46pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I just couldn't get into it. It annoyed the hell out of me although I did somehow manage to watch the entire movie. I also hated the marketing for that one. It didn't make me curious at all I just got annoyed by that also and stopped paying attention.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 4:14pm.
tedge1979's picture

Just my humble opinion, but I think the snowy poster is really beautiful and clever. Guess we'll see where this goes...

Submitted by tedge1979 on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 3:33pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Is it really a good marketing move to let everyone know it's directed by the Cloverfield guy? I hated that movie and I generally love monster movies.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 3:01pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

What a surprise. You didn't like a great movie. Let me guess. The shaky camera made you sick? Or did it not adhere to your staunch rules of how monsters should behave? Yes it's good marketing. The movie was a hit and like WIB said, a lot of people liked it. But forget all that, YOU didn't like it so naturally they should just keep that close to the vest.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 7:03pm.
moderator I don't think it's such a
Debi Moore's picture

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I personally loved Cloverfield and know plenty of other people who did also.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 3:02pm.
Rob's picture

We need a review for this remake that just says "Let Me Out."

Submitted by Rob on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 2:54pm.