David Slade Signs On to Direct Eclipse

David Slade Signs for EclipseWell, it's official. The rumor-mill began rumbling yesterday that the acclaimed director of 30 Days of Night and Hard Candy, David Slade, was close to signing on to direct the third chapter in the Twilight saga, Eclipse. Today Slade has signed the dotted line.

Summit Entertainment made the official announcement today. "Stephenie Meyer's Eclipse is a muscular, rich, vivid book and we at Summit looked long and hard for a director who could do it justice," says Summit head Erik Feig. "We believe we have found that talent in David Slade, a director who has been able to create complex, visually arresting worlds. We cannot wait to see the Eclipse he brings to life and brings to the fans eagerly awaiting its arrival in summer of 2010."

The only bad news? Now staunch Twilight opposers (myself included) will probably have to sit through the first two in order to know what's going on by the time we get to Slade's entry. Joy.

Look for Eclipse in theatres June 30, 2010.

Sparkle in the Dread Central forums.

Chainsaw's picture

Man, even when we win as horror fans, we lose. The man`s talents are going to go to waste here.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 12:57pm.
Morgan Elektra's picture

I disagree. Given the climax of Eclipse, and the tense interpersonal relationships throughout the book, this is a good paring. And he's absolutely perfect for Breaking Dawn.

Submitted by Morgan Elektra on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 1:38pm.
Chainsaw's picture

Morgan, I love you, but everything about these movies, these books, this marketing fraud, makes me puke. I know it's not meant for me, but everyone treats it like it's what horror means now. Which is bullshit. There's plenty of room at the table for everyone, but horror is barreling towards irrelevance as we let stuff like this take over. I hate everything it represents, and I spit on it. Like I said before, the best thing that could happen is if a young, impressionable girl reads it and says "Holy god, this is garbage, I can write something better than this!"...and does.

But again, I love you. These are my opinions and my opinions alone. Don't ever change. :D

Submitted by Chainsaw on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 11:52pm.
Morgan Elektra's picture

Saw, you know I love YOU... but mixing up people's reaction to the material with the material itself is a mistake. I don't by any means think this is what horror is now.. I don't even really know what that means.

The movie was crap, if you read my review or listened to the DFF about it, you know how strongly I felt about that. But I'm kind of sick to death of all the ridiculous masculine hate for the source material (which almost no one casting aspertions has actually read) simply because it's aimed at young girls - as if that somehow makes it automatically invalid. No, it's NOT for you. And you probably wouldn't like the book... but that doesn't change the fact that it DOES have good characters, an interesting story, and some strong horror elements (admittedly light in the first two books, but the last two are unarguable). Meyer's writing isn't stellar, she's more than occasionally awkward in her wording, but she's managed to create a story that speaks to a lot of women, teens or otherwise. And if some of those girls now consider themselves horror fans, or persure interests within the horror genre, I think that's a good thing. Teenage girls are a bloodthirsty lot. (We're talking the book here... if they liked the movie, as Foy would say, into the ovens!) ;)

And the climax that I was talking about looking forward to David Slade directing? It involves the Cullens and the wolf pack facing off against a mob of bloodthirsty newborn vampires, and in Meyer's books vampires can only be killed by being torn to shreds and then set on fire. In Slade's hands, I'm hopeful it will be done well. And if it's done well, it could be freaking awesome.

Submitted by Morgan Elektra on Fri, 04/24/2009 - 9:38am.

The vamps in 30 DAYS OF NIGHT were already extremely laughable whenever they opened their mouths to gargle some subtitled emo dialogue so this seems like a logical next step.

Submitted by Caterpillar on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 4:53am.
Morgan Elektra's picture

Here's hoping they keep him on for Breaking Dawn. This actually makes me the tiniest bit hopeful that we'll get at least one good movie out of the series.

Submitted by Morgan Elektra on Wed, 04/22/2009 - 11:40pm.