Eve Ready to Hack and Slash

Eve Ready to Hack and SlashWhile we all sit idly by waiting for Relativity/Rogue Pictures to get off of their asses and turn the live action adaptation of Tim Seeley's comic Hack/Slash into a reality, Ratio Pictures is ready to serve us up a healthy serving of a similar character to the fearless Cassie Hack.

Variety reports this morning that indie banner Ratio Pictures is set to produce Eve, the story of a woman who tracks down and kills supernatural serial killers.

Brian Metcalf is serving triple duty on the project as he's not only scripted the feature, but he'll be producing and directing as well. Elaine Hendrix will co-produce and star alongside Jordan Matthews.

Shooting is scheduled to start in 2010. That's plenty of time to beat them to the punch, Rogue. Use it well.

Hack and slash your way through the Dread Central forums

unclebob's picture

I don't think there's anything wrong with noting the similarities in two projects, and this is certainly a very good reason for Rogue to get off their duff.

No, they won't sue, because ideas and broad plotlines are not protected by copyright. Breech of copyright is generally established in court by "points of similarity," and you need a few very specific ones to get anywhere, not just 2 or 3.

That said, I've gotta say I'm looking forward to Brian Metcalf fulfilling the promise of his 2005 short "Sorrows Lost."

Submitted by unclebob on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 3:43am.

Sorry, I have never even heard of Hack/Slash. It can't be that big of a property as its the first time my friends or I have ever heard of it. Don't kid yourself, there are no original ideas left in the world, only recanned and recycled ideas. If the Hack team wants to sue, then the buffy folks should sue them.

Submitted by jarhead on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 10:48pm.

What episode of Buffy was it in which she survives her mother being a slasher and decides to hunt down slashers with her monstrous sidekick?

I don't remember that one...

Submitted by G.D. on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 10:23am.

Its so funny how everyone keeps comparing this to hack/slash. I have never heard of the comic before so I think its difficult to say the Eve premise was stolen from it. If it were already a released major movie, then I doubt it. Look at all the films that came out at the same time from Deep Impact to Armageddon and All the Indiana Jones rip offs (Sahara, National Treasure) and the countless psycho movie ripoffs out there. And if Hack/Slash were to claim they're getting ripped off, then, what about Buffy, Dexter and Resident Evil that came before it? At the very least, the Hack people are getting free press.

Submitted by corpseslayer on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 10:37pm.

Well, to be fair, Hack/Slash has been around for 5-6 years. And has been in development as a movie for at least 1-2 (it's had a "soon to be a motion picture" type announcement on the front cover ever since the ongoing series started, I think...and it's been ongoing for 20+ issues), so it's not like there's no reason to wonder...

Submitted by G.D. on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 10:26am.

Just a correction: Hack/Slash is an adaptation of Tim Seeley's comic, not Todd Lincoln's. Todd Lincoln is writing the adaptation.

Also, I might just be misreading, but the first paragraph seems to be saying that Eve is a character from Hack/Slash.

Submitted by G.D. on Mon, 03/30/2009 - 2:08pm.
moderator Thanks for the heads up,
Debi Moore's picture

Thanks for the heads up, G.D. The story's been updated a bit to reflect your input.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Mon, 03/30/2009 - 3:08pm.
moderator Sorry, I worded it wrong. It

Sorry, I worded it wrong. It was like 3:AM when i put it up so my head was a little swimmy.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 03/30/2009 - 3:19pm.