A Haunting in Connecticut: What Really Happened?

By now, we've all seen the trailers of creepy shadow people, a boy with strange writing all over his body, and women screaming when the shower curtain attacks them. All this, and more, is the movie The Haunting in Connecticut, and to top it off, there's that ubiquitous tag: "Based on a true story." But just how much of what is depicted in the movie is true? Who was the family, and what really happened in that house? The answers to those questions are complicated and, much like other "true" stories, mired in controversy.

Related Story: See More Haunted Locations!

The Story:
In 1986 Carmen and Al Snedeker moved to the small town of Southington, Connecticut, with the purpose of being closer to the hospital at which their oldest son was being treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Having fallen on hard financial times, the family jumped at the chance to rent what appeared to be the perfect house. It was large enough for their family, which included three children and a cousin, and the rent was in their affordable price range. It was while they were moving in that Al made a startling discovery: In the basement was a peculiar room that was complete with embalming tables and tools. The house, it turned out, used to be a funeral home. Moreover, the basement, which was sectioned into several rooms, was the only room deemed large enough to serve as the two boys' bedroom.

A Haunting in Connecticut – What Really Happened

Not long after, Carmen says she began experiencing strange phenomena, like items disappearing and her children reporting seeing strange people in the house, as well as hearing voices and the sounds of hundreds of birds taking flight. Her oldest, who was at the time in the middle of radiation treatment, began to exhibit radical personality shifts, becoming withdrawn and angry. He brooded and began writing poetry with necrophiliac themes. During one intense episode he attacked his cousin with the intent to rape her. His family had him arrested and taken for an evaluation, where he was pronounced schizophrenic. He was removed from the house and seemed to get better until returning.

Other phenomena that were reported by the Snedekers included the repeated and brutal rape of both Carmen and her niece, as well as acts of sodomy being performed on her husband, by unseen entities. Mop water was reported to turn blood red, and the scents of rotting flesh and decay were reported throughout the house. She was also frightened of apparitions that she saw, one with long black hair and black eyes, the other with white hair and eyes and wearing a pinstriped tuxedo. It was then that Carmen decided to contact controversial paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Along with John Zaffis and a few investigators, the Warrens moved into the house for several weeks until they'd experienced everything the Snedekers claimed. During their time in the house, they claim to have seen first-hand the damage the "demons" in the home could inflict, with many members being slapped and beaten, pushed, and slammed to the floor. Investigation into the history of the house supposedly revealed that one of the undertakers at the funeral home was found guilty of necrophilia, which fed fuel to the fire. It got to the point that the Warrens deemed it necessary for a full-scale exorcism of the property, after which the house was judged "cleared" by the Warrens. With the evil banished from the house, that should have been the end of the story. But it wasn't.

Controversy:
Like another Warren investigation, the infamous Lutz house in Amityville, there have been numerous claims by people who lived in the house, both before and after the Snedeker family, that there have never been any "evil entities" in the house. In fact, the family’s claim to have no knowledge that the home was once a funeral parlor was refuted by the house’s owner. Perhaps the most damning evidence that the whole event was a hoax came from horror novelist Ray Garton, who was contracted to write the book In a Dark Place with the Warrens and the Snedekers. According to Garton it was difficult to write the “true” story because none of the involved parties could keep their stories straight. It seemed everyone was contradicting everyone else. When he went to Ed Warren with the problem, Garton wrote in a post dated April 27, 1999:

He told me not to worry, that the
family
was ‘crazy.’ I was shocked. He said, ‘All the people who come to us
are
crazy. You think *sane* people would come to us?’ He knew I'd
written a
lot
of horror novels prior to that, so he told me to just make the story
up
using
whatever details I could incorporate into the book, and make it scary.”

Buy the DVDs!

Furthermore, others who lived in the house during, and prior to, the same time have similar stories to tell. Sure, they say, there were a few odd occurrences, but nothing near the scale the Snedekers claimed. Many point to the Warrens as instigators and others as enablers.

Learn about the AFTERMATH on the NEXT PAGE

I read the book some years again recounting the events, but saw the movie just today...and I have to say, I've never been more disappointed or repulsed by a Hollywood revision of a 'true' story as I was by that atrocious movie.

Even the Discover channels version, which was toned down severely from the tale, was closer and more disturbing then the ghostbuster ecto-plasm tripe I just endured.

What a waste, here I was expecting a really disturbing, cutting edge vision of that story...and all I got was a pile of filmstrip vomit not worth converting into TP to wipe your bunghole with.

Submitted by Da Boz on Sat, 11/21/2009 - 11:48pm.
Emobitch_666's picture

Your Worst Nightmare

i love the movie but the real story is so sad

Submitted by Emobitch_666 on Mon, 10/05/2009 - 2:26pm.

awesome image.....real story is so sad.

Internet Jobs India
Paid Online Surveys

Submitted by gooddog7 on Sun, 07/11/2010 - 10:19am.
Emobitch_666's picture

im your worst nightmare so if you like nightmares add me but leave me the hell alone if you hate nightmares -.- XD

Submitted by Emobitch_666 on Mon, 10/05/2009 - 2:21pm.
Haunting456's picture

I think what happened to this familey is so bad and trageic if i was one of those people who sufred through that i would of never forgotin what happend

Submitted by Haunting456 on Fri, 08/07/2009 - 3:26pm.
Scary-Ginger94's picture

People debate on if this is true they say there isnt enough research to say this is true but as much as they research they will never no the truth!! The only people who no the truth are the people it happend to and i bileve them not the researchers i bileve the people it happend to cuzz they are the ones who no how scary and disturbing it is!!

xoxo

Submitted by Scary-Ginger94 on Sun, 06/21/2009 - 3:34pm.
adrianamc11's picture

Since I joined this site, I was so pleased to see something on the haunting in ct because I have an interest in the paranormal somewhat, and just knowing that something like this happened in my own backyard it's just extraordinary.
However, it really bugs me since no one will probably never know what really happened, and which is why the saying "some things can never be explained" can automatically be tagged on it.
Thanks so much to whomever posted this I really like it!

Submitted by adrianamc11 on Sat, 04/04/2009 - 12:28am.
moderator The thanks go to Scott

The thanks go to Scott Johnson, who penned the article. He also has a regular feature on the site called Cold Spots that examines various haunted sites across the country. If you're a fan of the paranormal, be sure to check it out.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Sat, 04/04/2009 - 12:41am.
adrianamc11's picture

I'm so sorry Uncle Creepy for not replying to you. I haven't been on Dread Central in such a long time, lol.
I've been going through the site and looking at all the new articles and such and I will be sure to check out the Cold Spots section. Thanks so much!
And thank you Scott Johnson for penning this article, I found it very interesting :-)

Submitted by adrianamc11 on Mon, 02/22/2010 - 1:55am.
Nomad's picture

So...the movie is...a bit different.

Submitted by Nomad on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 2:23am.
moderator I think the reason Catholic
Sifu Scott's picture

I think the reason Catholic exorcism rites are the most-often used in movies is because they're the most famous rites. Movies like "The Exorcist" made them quite famous, and now, whenever anyone says "exorcism" or "demon," they think of Max Von Sidow with a purple stole.

Submitted by Sifu Scott on Thu, 03/26/2009 - 2:02pm.
Lunablix's picture

That was very interesting. One thing I have always wondered is if need an exorcism to get rid of the entity how does it work properly if you aren't of the catholic religion.

Submitted by Lunablix on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 5:00pm.
moderator Catholics aren't the only
Sifu Scott's picture

Catholics aren't the only ones to perform exorcisms. Many religions do the same thing, just with different names. The important thing in any exorcism, clearing, smudging, etc. is belief that it'll work.

Submitted by Sifu Scott on Wed, 03/25/2009 - 5:29pm.
Lunablix's picture

I know. But in everything I have seen with the exception of one show it has always been a catholic exorcism. Which is why I brought it up.

Submitted by Lunablix on Thu, 03/26/2009 - 12:37pm.
moderator That's definitely the norm
Debi Moore's picture

That's definitely the norm for movies and such, but certainly there are old school Jewish rabbis who do them (a la The Unborn). And through a quick search online I found info on Taoist, Buddhist, and Muslim exorcisms: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Story/A1Story20071101-33587.html

Interesting stuff.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 03/26/2009 - 12:48pm.
Lunablix's picture

That was a very interesting read. I've just always had that questioning of if you didn't believe in something how do you go about seeking help for a situation like that. I've been using the Native American way of cleansing an area by smudging and it seems to work the best for me. It got rid of the creepy but not quiet evil ghost that showed up in my room.

Submitted by Lunablix on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 1:30pm.
NMEwithin's picture

The reason is simple as to why Christian exorcism rites are the most common portrayed in American film...Christianity is by far the largest religion in this country...therefore, more viewers can relate.

Submitted by NMEwithin on Thu, 03/26/2009 - 2:15pm.
Lunablix's picture

I understand that point. But I don't think people can relate since the majority of them have never been possessed and the ones that are hardcore religious wouldn't watch those kinds of films anyway.

Submitted by Lunablix on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 1:39pm.