Friday the 13th Sequel Movement

Jason prepares for his comeback...againIt’s not greenlit yet so technically this isn’t official, but industry insiders are reporting that New Line and Platinum Dunes are actively developing a sequel to their Friday the 13th reboot, with writers Damien Shannon and Mark Swift back working on the script again.

This time they will use the original series as a “jumping off point”, according to the article posted on THR’s Risky Buisness Blog, instead of just remaking one of the multitude of Friday sequels, and to that I say “no duh”. Why would they go through the trouble of rebooting a franchise just to remake, for example, Friday the 13th Part 4?

Marcus Nispel is a “possible but unlikely” candidate to direct again, and of course getting Jared Padalecki and Amanda Righetti away from their respective successful TV shows will be a pain in the ass so who knows where they’ll go with it?

Even though Platinum Dunes is focusing all its energy on remaking A Nightmare on Elm Street right now, the blog says there’s still a chance this Friday sequel will be ready by the second half of 2010. Of course we’ll bring you more updates as they come through so don’t even blink!

- Johnny Butane

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Tell us what you wanna see in a Friday sequel in the Dread Central forums!

moderator For the record, that wasn't

For the record, that wasn't sequel movement. That was my bowels.

Thanks.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 4:43pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

I won't blame Shannon and Swift entirely, but can we get new blood on this thing...I've either hated or have been underwhelmed by their last 2 Jason involved efforts...Its time for someone new?

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 1:52pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

Like I said...I won't blame them entirely, but after 2 movies like this I think it's time to move on. They have to take a share of the blame if their going to take any credit for it's success, as moderate as it is.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Sat, 02/28/2009 - 12:49am.
Johnny Butane's picture

The problem is that those writers have turned out movies that have both made MASSIVE amounts of money, and considering how hard that is to do these days, I doubt PD is going to take a chance on some newbies.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 4:09pm.
Jim_McD's picture

After F13 took a massive nosedive after opening weekend I'd say the pressure is on them to do a way better job this time.

Of course they won't, but hey maybe after the next one has a shitty opening--which it will now that the novelty is gone--maybe we'll get lucky with the third. F13 part 13.

Thirteenth time's the charm?

Submitted by Jim_McD on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 7:22pm.
moderator I'm totally willing to blame

I'm totally willing to blame them. The writing of their last Jason outings have been horrendous. The only thing that saved FvJ was Ronny Yu's imposed WWE-like fight, and the remake is ... well ... you all know how I feel about that.

We need new blood. Nispel doesn't get the series and the writers are stale at best!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 3:45pm.

or they could do it better!

Submitted by ryan74 on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 12:33pm.
kiddcapone's picture

As long as Shannon and Swift are writing the flick, I'm sure it's going to be another masterpiece.

Of shit.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Fri, 02/27/2009 - 10:54am.