Whereas the annual Academy Awards is a celebration of greatness in cinema, The Golden Raspberry Awards (aka The Razzies) is a mean-spirited event designed to shame movies, actors, and filmmakers the organizers deem, well, shitty. Yesterday, The Razzies (which have been an annual reoccurrence for almost 40 years) released their nominees for 2018, and I’m happy to announce that there are very few horror titles represented.
Not only is it proof that 2018 was an amazing year for our beloved genre, but that horror is an increasingly viable (and mainstream) method of storytelling. You can check out a complete list of Razzie nominations over at THR, but I’ve plucked out the films/nominations that will be of most interest to horror fans. Check them out below.
- Winchester has been nominated for Worst Film of 2018.
- Helen Mirren has been nominated for Worst Actress for her performance in Winchester.
- Jaz Sinclair has been nominated for Worst Supporting Actress for her performance in Slender Man.
- The Meg has been nominated for Worst Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel for its resemblance to Jaws.
- The Spierig Brothers (Michael and Peter) have been nominated for Worst Director(s) for Winchester.
- Tom Vaughan and The Spierig Brothers are nominated for Worst Screenplay for Winchester.
Horror-adjacent titles that we’ve covered on Dread Central that also received Razzie noms are: The Happytime Murders, Death Wish, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I guess the biggest take-away from all of this is that The Razzies nominating committee really hated Winchester!
The most haunted house in the world sits on an isolated stretch of land that’s 50 miles outside of San Francisco. Built by Sarah Winchester, heiress to the Winchester fortune, it stands seven stories tall and contains hundreds of rooms. To an outsider, it looks like a monstrous monument to a disturbed woman’s madness. But Sarah’s actually building a prison, an asylum for hundreds of vengeful ghosts — and the most terrifying among them have a score to settle with the Winchesters.