For my inaugural edition of Drinking With The Dread, I’ve chosen to immortalize Jason Lei Howden’s heavy-metal-headbanger Deathgasm. The only 2015 brutalizer with enough satanic garage bands, blood-spewing demons and dildo weaponry to melt the flesh clean away from my pearly-white skull. Not only is it one of the knock-down best horror debuts of the 2000s era, but it’s essential party watching for the genre crowd. Doubly so if you’re metalhead.
You know that feeling when your favorite adrenaline-pumping jam shuffles into your iPod playlist (Protest The Hero’s “Blindfolds Aside” for me)? That’s Deathgasm. From an opening credits crawl filled with sketched occult atrocities to the film’s post-credits vinyl gag, Howden’s possession takeover is top-notch mayhem caught in a Slayer-scored echochamber. Unlike most new horror films these days, you won’t find distracting CGI blemishes – just an insane amount of vomited blood and dismemberment and halved minion craniums gushing with red goo. This is the midnight movie your mom, pastor and sponsor never wanted you to see.
What Deathgasm (stigmatically) nails is an always-entertaining balance between immature comedy, necessary in-jokes and the ability to always remain true to itself (leather, denim patch jackets and bastardized conformity). Howden channels Sam Raimi through frantic POV lensing and gallons upon gallons of expelled bodily fluids that wash down apocalypse-ravaged streets. Scene by scene, beating by beating, guitar-crunching energies jolt the most incredulous genre highs while a chorus of devils bring upon a savagely hilarious reckoning. It’s the kind of bang-along, metal-horned madness that’s prime for alcoholic giggles and *grand* reactions. Always pushing you over the edge, be it a timely decapitation or cheeky comeuppance.
Highlight moments include (but are not limited to):
- “Lowercase is for pussies.”
- The funniest beheading sequence in quite some time (NOT THE RUG!).
- One of the film’s least likable characters being killed hilariously upon his return home.
- Taking “Big Black” to the face (aka “Church Stuff”).
- A punch-you-in-the-face, subgenre-spanning metal soundtrack.
- The greatest handshake in horror history.
- Practical effects chop-shop glory.
- Amazing fake band names (even better real ones?).
So, now the moment you’ve been waiting for – THE GAME. Here are the unholiest of rules for Drinking With The Dread’s Deathgasm Drinking Game:
- Drink every a new metal track kicks in (including original content).
- Drink every time there’s some kind of head trauma (beheadings, bludgeonings, whacks, thwaps, anything).
- Drink every time a band name is spoken (if you REALLY want to get drunk – at your own risk – change this to every time you hear *or* read a band name).
- Drink every time “Aeloth,” “The Black Hymn” or “The Blind One” is uttered.
- Drink every time there’s a reference to “metalheads” or metal horns are shown (TWO SIPS FOR THE HANDSHAKE!).
- TAKE A SHOT WHEN either Brodie or Medina transport to that Mt. Olympus coming-of-rage fantasy location. You pick who you want to honor (note it only happens once for each, so that’s your choice!).
My fridge was loaded with 12 oz. cans of Budweiser (Bud heavy of course) at the time of my testing, and these rules ran me into three cans. Depending on your sip or gulp sizing, have about three cans at your disposal for consumption (four for sure if you’re playing the “hear or read” *advised against* rule). Oh, and with Deathgasm running a brisk 86 minutes, I’m inclined to remind you all about responsible responsible drinking. Please feel free to dial down the rules – then go listen to Smash Mouth and nurse a Zima or whatever it is that weak people do.
Out of all the films I’ve forced upon my movie-loving friends, no title holds a better crowd-pleasing average than Deathgasm. Jason Lei Howden beats a sledgehammer of satanic absurdity that blasts like a warcry without ever stopping for air (the man *lives* metal, ever-evident and enthusiastically appreciated). Milo Cawthorne, James Blake, Kimberley Crossman – the entire cast is comfortable in their corpse paint and never comes across as posers. This is a crazy train from Hell with no brakes, responsible for my newfound infatuation with bands like Skull Fist and Elm Street. Assemble your crew, crack your brews and pray to Dio you make it out alive.
Those who accept my blasphemous challenge, be sure to hit the comments and let me know how these rules hold up! Too strong, too weak, too metal – you tell me so I can tailor next month’s Drinking With The Dread just right.
DEATH TO FALSE METAL. \m/ \m/
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
- One-Eye I remember it as being one of the better post SCREAM slasher movies. I certainly haven't watched it since then.
- One-Eye I kind of dig how Osment is just like "Yeah, I'm fat and have a big, bushy beard. And that's how I'm gonna stay now..."
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
THE FIRST PURGE Director On Bringing Real-Life Horror to the Series
Blumhouse’s UPGRADE Gets Claymation Poster Treatment
Bram Stoker’s SHADOWBUILDER w/ Rooker and Todd Hits Blu-ray in August
Fantasia 2018 Second Wave Films Include Blumhouse’s HURT
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Exclusive: Dinosaurs, Golden Retrievers, and PREHYSTERIA! Oh My!
Exclusive: Creepy Forest Monsters Gonna Creep in THE RAKE
Editorials3 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News3 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
News5 days ago
Hulu’s CASTLE ROCK Will Be Filled With Stephen King Easter Eggs
News2 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
Drinking With the Dread4 days ago
Drinking With The Dread: A PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 Double Down!
Reviews3 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News2 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News4 days ago
AHS Season 8 Officially Coven/Murder House Crossover!