I’ve been a fan of Ninja Theory ever since I played Heavenly Sword back in the PS3 years, so this news has certainly made me smile. Which is something people say I never do, by the way.
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, which was the first game they made and financed entirely on their own without the support of a publisher, is now a certified financial success. If only Warner Bros. could say the same about Justice League.
Billed as the first truly AAA indie game, Hellblade has now sold over 500,000 digital copies (it didn’t receive a physical release), leading to a gross of $13 million dollars. 250,00 copies were sold in the first week alone, and for a new IP in today’s crowded market, that’s mighty impressive.
Hellblade’s story deals prominently with the theme of psychosis. Had a major publisher been onboard, the mental illness elements of the plot would have been heavily sanitized, and some insanely overpriced microtransactions would probably have been thrown in for good measure. And while it remains to to seen if other developers will emulate the indie AAA approach taken by Ninja Theory during the three years it took to make Hellblade, but let this be a lesson to the EA’s of the world that you don’t need to rely on loot boxes and pay to win garbage for your game to be a hit.
- One-Eye I had the game on the venerable Commodore64 and it was shit. I could just never figure out how to play it and I got killed every time.
- The One and Only One you might've missed was PREDATOR Vs. MAGNUS:ROBOT FIGHTER from 1993 that Dark Horse did with Valiant Comics. Fun two issue mini having Magnus fight a Predator in the Mile Spires of the 41st...
- Jason Pankoke RIP the "Hollywood" R/Greenberg. He went to school and taught at the University of Illinois where I live before moving to NYC and starting his first design firm. I have a souvenir book of an exhibit...
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Rest in Peace: Director and Title Designer Richard Alan Greenberg Passes Away at 71
Popcorn Frights 2018: World Premiere of First English-Language Cuban Horror Film Leads the First Wave
Marketing Magic: John McTiernan’s PREDATOR
E3 2018: Massive Photo Gallery Recap
Dark Horse and Netflix Announce STRANGER THINGS Comic Books!
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
Exclusive: This PREACHER Clip Ramps up the Spice!
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Editorials6 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News2 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News5 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News5 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News5 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
Reviews6 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News6 days ago
Sid Haig Celebrates HANUKKAH
News3 days ago
Rob Zombie Says “Sh*t Gets Crazy!” in 3 FROM HELL