With all the various streaming services and new series that are available online, it’s hard to keep track of them all. But Myx TV’s “Umbra,” an animated horror series about Filipino folklore, caught our eye, and with new episodes airing tonight, we wanted to bring it your attention as well. Intrigued? Read on for the details!
From the Press Release:
Myx TV, the Asian-American entertainment network, is currently airing “Umbra,” a first-of-its-kind animated horror series chronicling Filipino folklore. The 13-episode series premiered Wednesday, October 11th, and new back-to-back episodes of “Umbra” air every Wednesday at 8/7c on Myx TV. Patterned after programs like “The Twilight Zone” and “Monsters,” this hair-raising animated show features different creatures from Filipino mythology and explores the horrific side of the country’s supernatural lore and modern urban legends, or “sabi-sabi.”
“’Umbra’ is different from the usual Halloween frights, spotlighting spooky Filipino folklore that has been carried on for generations,” said Miguel Santos, general manager of Myx TV. “The Philippines and Asia are rich with stories like these that deserve to be shared with American audiences.”
The eerie series retells age-old myths of encounters with the supernatural, like the “Mangangatok,” who comes knocking on the door to bring bad luck, or worse, death; shape-shifting and flesh-hungry monsters; murderous mermaids; and more.
“Umbra” is executive produced by Anna Rodriguez dela Cruz, illustrated by Take One Animation Center, and animated by Digibox Audiovisual Productions.
Here’s a rundown of what’s ahead, beginning with tonight’s episodes:
October 18 at 8/7c
• Episode 103: The Creepy Knocker (Mangangatok) – In a state-of-the-art building in the middle of a metropolis, there lurks an evil presence. Folktales intertwined with the changing of the times does not change the reality that there are malignant creatures that bring terror to every house they visit. These creepy knockers, which invoke fear in everyone they meet, come knocking to people’s doors to bring ill-fate and take their very lives. So beware of receiving visitors, lest they be the last ones you see alive.
• Episode 104: Karma – Do you believe that everything you do, whether good or bad, has a consequence? This is the story of Jeric, a young man who preyed on innocent women. One day all of this will change as he gets payback for all the things he has done and karma stares him in the face.
October 25 at 8/7c
• Episode 105: The Doctor (Doktora) – One night Aries and his pregnant wife, Camille, ended up in a mysterious clinic because she was suffering from stomach pains. But as day turned into night, a strange mystery unfolds before them as they discover that the doctor and all the nurses that worked in that clinic were not human, but were in fact evil creatures. This couple will become the unwilling victims of the manananggal (a flying creature that leaves half of its body behind while seeking out human victims it can prey on).
• Episode 106: The Changeling (Baby Ko) – For the past seven years Mike and Sally have not stopped praying for a child of their own. With the help of a mysterious woman, their prayers are answered.
November 1 at 8/7c
• Episode 107: Revenge (Ganti) – In a quiet community by the sea, it is said that for a long time now, there has been a creature that takes innocent lives. This creature is known as Maguindara, a mermaid that lurks under the sea. One man will attempt to end the killings and bring an end to the Maguindara.
• Episode 108: Shape-Shifters (Balatkayo) – No matter how hard he tries to hide, an aswang (flesh-eating monster) cannot help but transform into its evil self when it is overcome by need and desire. And when a promise is broken by one of their kind, the aswang will pay for his sins with the lives of his very own family.
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
- One-Eye I remember it as being one of the better post SCREAM slasher movies. I certainly haven't watched it since then.
- One-Eye I kind of dig how Osment is just like "Yeah, I'm fat and have a big, bushy beard. And that's how I'm gonna stay now..."
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Comic Book Superheroes You Had No Idea Battled The PREDATOR
MY MONSTER Short Film Review: Izzy Lee Proves That Love Bites
SUSPIRIA Remake Rated R For Ritualistic Violence, Graphic Nudity, and More
Stephen King’s PET SEMATARY Remake Begins Filming!
Will Emma Roberts Return for AHS Crossover Season?
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Exclusive: Dinosaurs, Golden Retrievers, and PREHYSTERIA! Oh My!
Editorials4 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News4 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News1 day ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News3 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News4 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
Drinking With the Dread5 days ago
Drinking With The Dread: A PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 Double Down!
Reviews5 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News5 days ago
AHS Season 8 Officially Coven/Murder House Crossover!