Official JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard website
The new book JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard promises to provide an unprecedented all-access pass to the creation of some of the most memorable and terrifying scenes in motion picture history. Movie buffs, special effects enthusiasts, and fans of the watershed film should all thrill in this definitive volume’s special features.
This incredible 296-page book was written by by Matt Taylor with photographs compiled by Jim Beller and Matt Taylor. Here’s a sample of what’s in store for fans:
• foreword by JAWS director Steven Spielberg
• hundreds of never-before-seen photographs of the production’s inner workings, taken by local participants and bystanders, as well as a detailed account of how the filmmakers chose Martha’s Vineyard as their shooting location
• recollections of local crew and cast members
• newly illustrated schematics by JAWS Production Designer Joe Alves explaining the intricacies of the revolutionary sea sled fin mechanism, as well as his original 1974 storyboards
The filming of Steven Spielberg’s 1975 megablockbuster JAWS is regarded as a landmark event in both the history of motion pictures and the quaint New England island of Martha’s Vineyard. The geographic isolation of the Island, located eight miles off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, necessitated the hiring of hundreds of locals to work as actors and laborers and to assist with the production’s groundbreaking special effects. Among this virtual army of hometown participants were numerous professional and amateur photographers, each with full access to the production’s inner workings. Now, for the first time, their behind-the-scenes photographs and stories have been compiled into a treasure trove of JAWS rarities, a one-of-a-kind collection sure to please even the most die-hard JAWS aficionados. Included are interviews with JAWS Production Designer Joe Alves, Screenwriter Carl Gottlieb, Location Casting Director Shari Rhodes, and more.
JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard is a must-have for the worldwide legions of JAWS fans who just can’t get enough of the greatest action-adventure picture of all time. Warning: You’re gonna need a bigger coffee table.
Looking to be a part of history? Here are details on the book launch/signing to be held on Martha’s Vineyard this July. It will be presented by the Martha’s Vineyard Museum.
Date: Saturday, July 2, 2011, starting at 5:30 pm
NEW Location: Old Whaling Church • 89 Main Street • Edgartown MA 02539
Tickets: $20. Proceeds to benefit the Martha’s Vineyard Museum
Travel Info: Martha’s Vineyard Online
Event will feature:
• A lecture on the making of JAWS by Production Designer Joe Alves
• A narration and screening of Carol Fligor’s JAWS behind-the-scenes movie
• A rare screening of the 1975 JAWS slideshow from Joseph C. Hazen Jr.
• A book signing with Author Matt Taylor, Contributor Jim Beller, Production Designer Joe Alves, and Vineyard locals involved in the movie
Click here to pre-order either the Limited Collectors Edition or the Paperback. Orders will ship starting June 20, 2011.
For more info click the below banner to visit the official JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard website.