If you’re a “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” fan, the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con is the place to be because the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 20 Years of Slaying” fan event was just announced, which includes an evening of Buffy-themed giveaways, trivia, and cosplay contests taking place in America’s Finest City. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg of the “Buffy”-themed products you have to look forward to…
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is making its Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxed Set available for pre-order at this year’s SDCC, while Funko has added both Buffy and Willow to its Rock Candy line.
From the Press Release:
Iconic cult classic “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” continues its 20th anniversary celebration during San Diego Comic-Con with a special fan event hosted by Legion M in conjunction with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products.
Coinciding with San Diego Comic-Con, the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 20 Years of Slaying” fan event will be held Saturday, July 22, from 6-9 pm at Side Bar in the Gaslamp Quarter (exact address is 536 Market Street). Fans interested in attending the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 20 Years of Slaying” event can register on the official Buffy Facebook page here. A portion of this event will also be livestreamed to the Facebook page.
Scoobies, Slayerettes, and Whedonites can take part in a night of slayage that will include the following:
· Buffy Fandom Feud Trivia Contest – Fans will get the opportunity to win Slayer Swag as they team up to show off their Buffy knowledge!
· Buffy Cosplay Contest – Damian Beurer, co-host of Super Power Beat Down and executive at Legion M, will host this Buffy Cosplay showdown. Calling all Buffy Cosplay fans to bring their best Scooby Gang cosplay for the opportunity to win Slayer Swag!
· Once More, With Feeling! – At the party, fans can show-off their improv skills when they get to reenact their favorite Buffy show moments.
· Fans will be treated to select appetizers and a Buffy 20th anniversary cake as they sip on signature Slayer drinks, available during the event.
· Photo opportunity with a life-size image of The Gentlemen from the popular episode “Hush.” Fans who share on social media will receive an exclusive spell in a small glass vial, a perfect keepsake for Buffy fans, from the forthcoming book Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Official Grimoire (Insight Editions, October 2017).
· Various stations including an in-person Buffy table-top board game competition from Jasco Games, and an interactive wall-sized Buffy coloring book pages from Dark Horse. Fans will be able to color and create their own Buffy art for a special digital mosaic in celebration of #BuffySlays20!
· Plus, additional giveaways and surprises!
In regards to the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 20 Years of Slaying” fan event, Legion M Co-founder Jeff Annison stated: “As a fan-owned company we can think of no better way to spend a Saturday night in San Diego than hanging out with some of the best fans on the planet!”
Also at San Diego Comic-Con, fans will have the opportunity to pre-order the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition DVD boxed set at the Fox Booth #4229 for $99.98. Available everywhere on September 19, 2017, the DVD collection includes an official “Buffy” Dark Horse Comic Book featuring an exclusive cover available to fans for a limited time.
About the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxed Set
The teen years can be brutal. Especially when you’re Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar) – a Sunnydale High School student destined to slay supernatural, blood-sucking baddies instead of hanging out at the mall. Over the seven seasons of this thrilling, witty show, Buffy struggles to maintain allies in the fight against evil, while also engaging in on-off romances with a moody vampire (David Boreanaz) or two (James Marsters). Now you can own this 39-disc set containing all 144 episodes of one of the smartest, funniest, most action-packed series ever to slay on the small screen – also starring Alyson Hannigan, Anthony Head, and Nicholas Brendon.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20th Anniversary Consumer Products:
A wide-range of key licensees and retail partners are celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer including Hot Topic, BoxLunch, Dark Horse, Simon & Schuster, Insight Editions, Funko, Harper Design, AC/DC Apparel, Jasco, Upper Deck, Ripple Junction, among others. They are sharing with fans a unique collection of Buffy apparel, accessories, board games, new books, comics and more.
Among the recent highlights:
· Coming this August, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is joining the Funko Rock Candy line! Unable to escape her destiny, this series includes the Vampire Slayer herself, Buffy Summers, and her academically-excelling counterpart Willow Rosenberg…Together they’ll save the world! Add them both to your collection this summer.
· The eagerly awaited Buffy the Vampire Slayer fashion collection is now available online at hottopic.com. Hot Topic, the retail destination for music and pop-culture inspired apparel, accessories, collectibles and more, is celebrating 20 years of slaying with a fashion collection inspired by the style of beloved Buffy characters. The line features six pieces including Willow’s iconic 90s sweater, a long trench coat inspired by Buffy, a black motorcycle jacket inspired by Faith, a white high-low dress inspired by the dress worn by Buffy in Prophecy Girl, as well as tops featuring iconic lines from the series.
Mattel’s WWE Figures Showing Their Teeth…and Claws…And Other Monster Parts
Mattel likes to keep us on our toes! Even though we attend Toy Fair every year, they still like to throw some surprises at us, often turning up in the toy aisles with no warning whatsoever. Such was the case with last year’s WWE Mutants line, which saw your favorite wrestlers transformed into crocodile men, scorpion creatures, and multi-armed freaks of nature.
This year we’ve got a similar monster theme going, with the horrific personalities utilized being from a more familiar stable.
This lineup includes:
- Asuka as The Phantom
- Braun Strowman as Frankenstein
- Chris Jericho as The Mummy
- Jake “The Snake” Roberts as The Creature
- Roman Reigns as The Werewolf
- Undertaker as The Vampire
Execution is a mixed bag here. Since these are lower priced figures, it’s understandable if some paint and sculpting details are lost in production; and for my taste, the “mishaps” in this line lead more to hilarity than disdain, making me want to buy them all the more.
LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MASK FACE FOR ASUKA!!!
It’s like those pictures you see of someone trying to replicate a famous baker’s pop culture cake and their attempt comes out resembling a melty, deformed monstrosity. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIMMY!! No…don’t cry…aw damnit, Timmy. You tried.
I’m also forced to point and laugh at their Frankenstein. I totally get the patchwork idea presented here, but they seem to have sewn his tank top to his body…and that’s hysterical.
Check out the rest of the line below, and look for the lot in stores and at your favorite online toy dealer now.
Jake “The Snake” Roberts
Must-Own: The One:12 Collective Ghostbusters Deluxe Box Set
Are you a huge Ghostbusters fan like I am? You are! Well, then you’ll be equally as excited as I was to hear that The One:12 Collective has an all-new Ghostbusters Deluxe Box Set coming our way October – December 2018.
The five-figure deluxe set featuring all four Ghostbusters (plus Slimer) and each boasting two head portraits: one natural and one scared expression, their own proton pack with a light-up feature, and uniforms which feature working zippers, functional pockets, nametags, and the Ghostbusters logo.
On top of that, the set also features the likeness of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson and each is packaged in a special edition, collector-friendly metal tin.
The One:12 Collective Ghostbusters Set is available for pre-order HERE and will make their way into stores October – December 2018.
Sideshow Teaming with Project Raygun on New Court of the Dead Tabletop Game
If you’ve been reading this site for the past few years, you should be well aware of Sideshow’s awesome collectibles known as the Court of the Dead. If you’re as big a fan of the line as we are, then you’ll be excited to hear that a Kickstarter campaign is about to kick off for a tabletop game titled Court of the Dead: Mourners Call.
Mixing creepy cool Court of the Dead artwork and a bunch of awesome new super-detailed 3D miniatures, the game is going to be a must-have for Court fans, as well as any dark fantasy and horror enthusiasts. This highly anticipated campaign marks the latest collaborative effort between Project Raygun and Sideshow, and it will be managed by James Hudson of Druid City Games.
The Kickstarter launch is slated to commence in late April and run through mid-May. Those who contribute to the campaign have a chance to score a bunch of insane exclusives, and you can find out more by clicking here.
“Court of the Dead: Mourners Call is more than just a tabletop game; it’s an immersive in-world experience,” said Tom Gilliland, Sideshow Chief Creative Officer and creator of the Court of the Dead. Through highly-detailed card art and ornate 3D miniatures, players will be transported to the macabre and magical Underworld. Players face grave circumstances: They must balance both cooperative and competitive objectives by working with the other players to appease the morally bankrupt, oppressive celestial overlords in a way that achieves their own individual vision of a unified Underworld, ready to rise up in rebellion.
Stay up-to-date on Court of the Dead: Mourners Call news (and sign up for updates) at MournersCall.com. A steady stream of exciting Kickstarter exclusives, deluxe milestone rewards, and special stretch goals will delight campaign supporters. For more information and details, visit ProjectRaygun.com. Learn more about Court of the Dead at CourtoftheDead.com.
- One-Eye Yipes! What a stain on our otherwise wonderful community.
- One-Eye So it's PANIC ROOM? I really enjoyed WHAT HAPPENED TO MONDAY?, primarily because I am a Noomi Rapace super-fan. But I LOVED a single-season black comedy series Wirkola did in Norway called...
- One-Eye A number of horror directors have already tried. John Landis apparently even shot underwater test footage of the costume. John Carpenter was going to do it, but Universal said to him "You have to...
- Michael M Rob Zombie should not be allowed to make any movie ever again. The guy is not a filmmaker.
- Michael M I know it's just a teaser but damn. It does not look promising.
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Harrelson’s Carnage Only Has a Small Role in VENOM Starring Tom Hardy
The Real Reason Shane Black Directed THE PREDATOR
This HALLOWEEN II Scene Was Too Much for Scout Taylor-Compton
What Will Marvel’s MORBIUS Movie Be About?
THE FIRST PURGE Rated R For “Strong Disturbing Violence Throughout” and More
Brad Dourif Confirms CHILD’S PLAY TV Series
Quick Update on THE VAMPIRE CHRONICLES TV Series; Pilot Is Written But Fuller Is Out
6-HEADED SHARK ATTACK and MEGALODON Details Surface from The Asylum
Exclusive: END TRIP Trailer Will Make You Delete Your Uber App
Katherine Waterston Talks ALIEN: COVENANT 2
Exclusive: How’d You Lose a Body, FERAL?
Exclusive: Stars of THE STRANGERS: PREY AT NIGHT Discuss Their Scariest Scene
Exclusive: FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY Light a Fire With “Molotov”
Exclusive: ANOTHER SOUL Trailer Possesses All Who Watch It
Exclusive: Travel Into the Recesses of Space With This LOST IN SPACE Soundtrack Video
News5 days ago
AMERICAN HORROR STORY 8 Begins Filming This June
News6 days ago
AHS 8 Will Be More Like ASYLUM and COVEN
News5 days ago
Exclusive: FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY Light a Fire With “Molotov”
Editorials4 days ago
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
News4 days ago
First Look: Sheri Moon Zombie in Rob Zombie’s 3 FROM HELL
News5 days ago
First Look: Bill Moseley in Rob Zombie’s 3 FROM HELL
News5 days ago
Blu-ray Release Date Announced For SUPERNATURAL Season 13
News5 days ago
Horror Business: Dean Devlin on Legion M’s Disruptive Production Model and Why Hollywood’s Future Belongs to Fans