With the 2016 Screamfest L.A. kicking off next week on the 18th, we wanted to take this opportunity to bring to your attention several fright flicks screening there that have been flying under the radar.
– Happy Hunting, directed by Joe Dietsch and Louie Gibson, stars Martin Dingle Wall, Ken Lally, Kenny Wormald, Conner Williams, and Gary Sturm.
Premiere Date: Friday, October 21, 2016, at 9:30 pm.
Warren is a degenerate drifter, scraping by, suffering from debilitating alcohol withdrawals on a daily basis. On his way down to Mexico, he finds himself stranded in Bedford Flats, a one-horse town nestled deep in the American desert. It was a once-prosperous hunting community that has been reduced to an impoverished dust bowl. Unfortunately for Warren, it turns out that the town’s pastime is rounding up drifters and hunting them as part of an elaborate sporting event. To make matters worse, he’ll go into alcoholic withdrawal unless he finds a way to stay intoxicated. It all builds to a blood-soaked, live-or-die showdown deep in the desert.
– Ron Oscar Sierra’s short film The Perfect Family stars Kaycee Duale, Lauren Cody, Hunter Phoenix, and Greg Beck.
Premiere Date: Sunday, October 23, 2016, at 12:00pm.
Two sisters looking to create the perfect family for themselves decide to do so by way of taxidermy. The family dog has just been completed, and as luck would have it, Mom has just arrived. Now all seems just about perfect until a void comes over them. The idea of getting a brother comes to mind, but not without Dad’s permission.
– Feeding Time, a new short horror film written and directed by Matt Mercer, stars Graham Skipper (The Mind’s Eye, Almost Human, Beyond the Gates) and Najarra Townsend (Contracted, The Stylist).
Premiere Date: Sunday, October 23, 2016, at 4:00pm.
Upon getting a text from her friend Melanie, Sasha (Stacy Snyder) agrees to fill in for her on a babysitting job. After meeting the eccentric parents of the infant (Graham Skipper and Najarra Townsen), Sasha settles in for the night in the enormous, old craftsman house. At first distracted by her millennial infatuation with her phone (and boyfriend), Sasha is soon drawn into an ever-escalating series of clues that something might not be right with this babysitting situation. When she decides to explore the old dark house and check on the baby, it’s worse than she imagined – she’s in mortal danger.
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
- Mackey Would be awesome if Amazon or Netflix could save "The Exorcist" too
- One-Eye I remember it as being one of the better post SCREAM slasher movies. I certainly haven't watched it since then.
- One-Eye I kind of dig how Osment is just like "Yeah, I'm fat and have a big, bushy beard. And that's how I'm gonna stay now..."
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Rest in Peace: Director and Title Designer Richard Alan Greenberg Passes Away at 71
Popcorn Frights 2018: World Premiere of First English-Language Cuban Horror Film Leads the First Wave
Marketing Magic: John McTiernan’s PREDATOR
E3 2018: Massive Photo Gallery Recap
Dark Horse and Netflix Announce STRANGER THINGS Comic Books!
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
Exclusive: This PREACHER Clip Ramps up the Spice!
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Editorials5 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News2 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News5 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News5 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
News4 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
Reviews6 days ago
HELL’S KITTY Review – This Little Feline Sure Ain’t No Pu**y!
News6 days ago
Sid Haig Celebrates HANUKKAH
News6 days ago
AHS Season 8 Officially Coven/Murder House Crossover!