Saving Abel has a new album dropping on June 8th entitled Miss America, and since the guys are horror fans, they thought they’d pay a little tribute to some of the not-so-wholesome women who have haunted their dreams and nightmares over the years.
The band consists of Jared Weeks-Vocals, Jason Null-Guitars, Scott Bartlett-Guitars, Eric Taylor-Bass, and Blake Dixon-Drums. All five of them collaborated to compile the list of their Top Ten favorite female villains. (An honorable mention went to commentator Nancy Grace.)
10. Medusa (Clash of the Titans) - A mythological creature called a Gorgon. A half-snake, half-human creature, which is the same way I describe a few ex-girlfriends and oddly enough wouldn’t mind seeing beheaded.
9. The Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard of Oz) - You can’t talk about female villains without mentioning The Wicked Witch. She’s a fixture in just about everyone’s childhood horror memory bank.
8. Large Marge (Alice Nunn, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure) – Laugh all you want…this really happened…it was the worst wreck I ever seen. True story!
7. Carrie White (Sissy Spacek, Carrie) - Some would debate whether Carrie was a villain, a victim, or a hero. I’m just gonna say that when you kill your entire student body, you’re kind of crossing a line. I’m not saying that Vinnie Barbarino didn’t deserve to die… I’m just saying you can’t go around killing everyone every time you get a bucket of pig’s blood dumped on you.
6. Christine - Who wouldn’t want a fully restored 1958 Plymouth Fury for a killing machine?
5. Mrs. Gilmore (Hope Summers, Rosemary’s Baby) – There’s just something about seeing Clara Edwards from “The Andy Griffith Show” chanting “Hail Satan” at the end of Rosemary’s Baby. Now that’s entertainment”!!
4. Mrs. Baylock (Billie Whitelaw, The Omen) – “Have no fear, little one. I am here to protect thee.” If only every caregiver was this dedicated…
3. Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) - Cuckoo’s Nest may not be pure horror, but she is one of my favorite villains. She’s a cold, sadistic, passive/aggressive battle-axe who uses intimidation and humiliation to cow her patients into submission. If nursing doesn’t work out, she should try teaching at a public school.
2. Pamela Voorhees (Betsy Palmer, Friday the 13th) - Hands down the best Friday the 13th. Plus, I can’t really blame her. Those camp counselors should have been watching that boy! All I can say is…Get ‘er, Mommy!!!
1. Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates, Misery) - Annie is my favorite villain because she isn’t some supernatural ghost or monster hiding in the bushes. She’s what seems to be a cheerful overly nice, harmless woman; but behind the happy facade is a dangerously crazy bi-polar psychopath with a touch of paranoid schizophrenia. Who wouldn’t be entertained by a cold-blooded psycho who says things like “Cockadoodie”?
For more about the band, including their upcoming in-store performances and CD signings at several Midwestern Best Buy stores, tour dates, photos, and more, visit the Saving Abel Facebook page, the Saving Abel MySpace page, and the official Saving Abel website.
Here’s the video for the first single off Miss America, entitled “Stupid Girl (Only in Hollywood)”. If you like what you hear, order your copy of the CD from the EvilShop below or iTunes.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Pick your favorite female villains in the Dread Central forums!