William Peter Blatty’s The Ninth Configuration has been overshadowed by The Exorcist, but it’s about to make its UK Blu-ray debut, which will hopefully give the film a bit more of the attention it so richly deserves. If you’re one of our readers from across the pond, scroll on down for the details.
From the Press Release:
From William Peter Blatty, renowned author of The Exorcist, comes one of the most unique and extraordinary films on screen, The Ninth Configuration, a taut theological thriller from 1980, which makes its UK Blu-ray debut courtesy of Second Sight.
This mind-blowing cult classic arrives on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as download and On Demand, on 25 April 2016, complete with a whole host of newly produced bonus features, including brand new interviews with William Peter Blatty, Stacy Keach, and many more.
Deep in a forest of pine trees near the coast of Washington State, stands a secluded Gothic castle, commandeered by the Pentagon for use as a military asylum. Determined to establish the true nature and origin of the men’s mental illness, the Pentagon enlists the services of Colonel Kane (Stacy Keach, American History X), a brilliant, yet strangely unorthodox psychiatrist. With a reserved calm, he indulges the inmates’ delusions, allowing them free rein to express their fantasies. But some are wary of the newcomer and his methods. There may be more to Kane than meets the eye, and the insanity escalates towards an explosive revelation.
Written, directed, and produced by William Peter Blatty, this tense and gripping tale mixes theology and psychology and hosts a stellar cast including Scott Wilson (The Last Samurai), Jason Miller (The Exorcist), Ed Flanders (The Exorcist III), and Tom Atkins (Lethal Weapon).
Who is Kane? And what has is he hiding?
• Audio Commentary by Writer/Director William Peter Blatty
• The Writer/Producer/Director – Interview with William Peter Blatty
• Confessions of Kane – Interview with Actor Stacy Keach
• The Debrief of Sgt. Christian – Interview with Actor Stephen Powers
• Designing the Configuration – Interviews with Production Designer William Malley
and Art Director J. Dennis Washington
• Killer on My Mind – Interview with Soundtrack Composer Barry De Vorzon
• The Party Behind the Curtain – Interviews with Actors Tom Atkins, Jason Miller,
Richard Lynch, and William Peter Blatty
• Mark Kermode Introduction
• Deleted Scenes and Outtakes