Tonight saw the teaming of Dread Central and Home Media Magazine for the Reaper Awards 2009, celebrating the very best in horror Blu-ray and DVD, and now we’ve got the complete list of winners for your!
* Best in Show – Hellraiser Box Set, Anchor Bay Entertainment
* Best DTV Release – Alien Raiders, Warner Home Video
* Best Packaging – Hellraiser Box Set, Anchor Bay Entertainment
* Best Boxed Set or TV Series – Dexter: The Complete Third Season, Paramount Home Entertainment/CBS/Showtime
* Best Re-release – Friday the 13th: Deluxe Editions (Parts 1-6), Paramount Home Entertainment
* Best Blu-ray Disc – Ghostbusters, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
* Best Indie/Foreign – [REC], Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
* Best Theatrical – The Last House on the Left (2009), Universal Studios Home Entertainment
* Best Zombie – Quarantine, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
* Best Slasher – [TIE] The Last House on the Left (1972), 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment/MGM, and Laid to Rest, Anchor Bay Entertainment
* Best Ghost Story – The Haunting in Connecticut, Lionsgate
* Best Vampire/Werewolf – Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
* Best Re-mastering – Hellraiser, Anchor Bay Entertainment
* Lifetime Achievement – Michael Felsher, Red Shirt Pictures
Dread Central’s own Uncle Creepy hosted the event, and winners each took home a Grimmy (a fantastic sculpt by our good friends at Fearwerx and Emce Toys):
A panel of esteemed judges from the horror community chose the nominees from 13 categories, based on the quality of the films and their home video presentations. Nice to see some appreciation for Sony’s controversial Ghostbusters Blu-ray, which was excellent despite incorrect criticism leveled at the transfer for retaining film grain from the film’s cinematography.
Even better is seeing Michael Felsher honored for his continuously fantastic work on countless DVD releases. Extra material simply would not be the same without his touch, which makes this award more than well deserved.
And while there’s no way in hell The Last House on the Left qualifies as a slasher movie, the Reaper Awards were a definite success this year. Congratulations to all the winners, and we hope to do it again in 2010!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Tell us what you think of the results below and in the Dread Central forums