What We Become is shaping up to be one hell of a successful vampire flick, having played at a multitude of festivals including Fantastic Fest, Stockholm’s Twilight Zone, and Helsinki’s Night Visions; and now, thanks to Twitch, we have a new poster that reaffirms its awesomeness. This piece was created by the ultra talented Phantom City Creative, which has a reputation for creating weird and wonderful film art.
And make sure that you catch What We Become before the inevitable Hollywood remake. It is, after all, a Scandinavian film. A Hollywood remake comes customary as standard.
The summer is shaping up to be perfect for the Johansson family. The weather is gorgeous, and the community warm and friendly. Even teenaged Gustav is feeling good about life in general, thanks to the new girl who has just moved in across the street. But this perfect suburban life is abruptly shattered by the arrival of a mysterious virus. Unexplained deaths are followed by panic and a full lockdown, families sealed into their homes by patrolling bio-suited soldiers. With things quickly escalating and no information forthcoming, it isn’t long before Gustav takes matters into his own hands.
The debut feature from writer-director Bo Mikkelsen, WHAT WE BECOME offers a compelling vision of life pushed to extremes. A gorgeously executed picture that prizes its characters as much as the elements of genre film, WHAT WE BECOME exemplifies the new Nordic Twilight movement – a wave of intelligent, character-driven genre pictures including the likes of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN and WHEN ANIMALS DREAM.
Blessed with a uniformly strong cast, Mikkelsen is not shy at all about the horror elements of his debut picture but is also smart enough to understand that the lasting resonance – the real weight of the film – comes from first creating a believable and empathetic cast of characters. The horror that unfolds is all the more terrifying for just how grounded and plausible it all is. An accomplished editor and cinematographer, as well as a writer-director with a solid handful of high-end short films under his belt, Mikkelsen arrives on the scene seemingly fully formed with his debut feature. Expect this to be the beginning of a long and compelling career.
- One-Eye I had the game on the venerable Commodore64 and it was shit. I could just never figure out how to play it and I got killed every time.
- The One and Only One you might've missed was PREDATOR Vs. MAGNUS:ROBOT FIGHTER from 1993 that Dark Horse did with Valiant Comics. Fun two issue mini having Magnus fight a Predator in the Mile Spires of the 41st...
- Jason Pankoke RIP the "Hollywood" R/Greenberg. He went to school and taught at the University of Illinois where I live before moving to NYC and starting his first design firm. I have a souvenir book of an exhibit...
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Jon Bernthal’s Shane Returning to THE WALKING DEAD?
SLEEP EATERS Review – A Serious Case Of The Flesh-Munchies Strikes Back!
Brennan Went to Film School: Whoops, I Went and Did a Queer Interpretation of PREDATOR
Filming Begins on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2
Exclusive: 7 SPLINTERS IN TIME Clip Doesn’t Know Who to Trust
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
Exclusive: This PREACHER Clip Ramps up the Spice!
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Editorials6 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News3 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News5 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News5 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News6 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
News3 days ago
Rob Zombie Says “Sh*t Gets Crazy!” in 3 FROM HELL
News4 days ago
RKSS’ Nostalgia Thriller SUMMER OF ’84 Lands Summer of ’18 Release Date
Reviews4 days ago
ZOMBIE 3 Blu-ray Review – The Combined Might Of Three Italian Gorehounds Makes For One Insane Adventure