FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - New Trailer
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

At what point in my response did I imply that I only like "perfect" movies or movies that require thinking all the time? There is nothing brain wracking about any of the Indiana Jones films and yet all, for the most part, are light and fun. The same can be said about Jurassic Park, Gremlins, even Star Wars. Yet cinematic abortions like The Mummy get a pass for being terrible? That's on you. They do have their place though, on the "worst movies I've ever seen" list.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
At what point in my response did I imply that I only like "perfect" movies or movies that require thinking all the time? There is nothing brain wracking about any of the Indiana Jones films and yet all, for the most part, are light and fun. The same can be said about Jurassic Park, Gremlins, even Star Wars. Yet cinematic abortions like The Mummy get a pass for being terrible? That's on you. They do have their place though, on the "worst movies I've ever seen" list.

I'll give ya that. Todays just been a rough day, I think I may just be looking into things a bit too much today.

As for star wars, I like it, but I think it's one of the worst movies in a story stand point, as well as being one of the bigger cliched movies that I think gets a pass because it's classic. It steals so much from past stuff, that I can't think of it as an original(though I don't think anythings really original anymore).

As for the other movies you lister, yeah, they are better then mummy movies and stuff.

I guess what I think terrible is something like the grudge, or maybe even the ring. Something that has absolutely no entertainment value whatsoever.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

See, The Ring is actually a well-made film with great acting, and direction and editing. It's one of the best American horror films in the past decade. Thinking the Mummy is more entertaining than the Ring speaks volumes about your taste. Nothing I can do there.
cybershark
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

Glad i'm not the only person who thinks The Ring is overrated , that movie wasn't the least bit suspenseful or scary for me at all, plus it had too many plot holes for it's own good, for example:If Rachel knew the tape was dangerous, then why the fuck would she be dumb enough to leave it where her kid could find it? Plus I saw the ending coming a mile away, I don't get what the big deal about The Ring is at all, I also hate it for the fact that it inspired so plenty of even worse foreign remakes.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
Glad i'm not the only person who thinks The Ring is overrated , that movie wasn't the least bit suspenseful or scary for me at all, plus it had too many plot holes for it's own good, for example:If Rachel knew the tape was dangerous, then why the fuck would she be dumb enough to leave it where her kid could find it? Plus I saw the ending coming a mile away, I don't get what the big deal about The Ring is at all, I also hate it for the fact that it inspired so plenty of even worse foreign remakes.

Because she didn't think he son was going to go into her bag to get it.

So please, tell me some other plot holes. Since it had "too many for it's own good".

Speaking for myself, the "big deal" is that for the first time since I was a kid, I was genuinely frightened by a horror movie. Hating a movie because of what it inspired is beyond ignorant. I guess we should all hate Halloween and to a greater extent, Friday the 13th because of all the shitty slasher movies that they "inspired" and this would be a perfectly legitimate reason to you?
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:39 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
See, The Ring is actually a well-made film with great acting, and direction and editing. It's one of the best American horror films in the past decade. Thinking the Mummy is more entertaining than the Ring speaks volumes about your taste. Nothing I can do there.

Now, I never said the acting wasn't great, or the editing. What I hated about it, and still can't stand to this day, is the pacing, as well as the story itself. Maybe I just didn't get it, and need to watch it again, because I thought it was funny as hell. One of the things that pulled me out was the horse. I thought that was hilarious being the fact that it was justified by a picture in a little monologue. I know a lot of people like it, but I'm just not one of them. For me, the grudge scared the piss out of me. Everything but the story was great in it too. I won't watch it again because 1) it did scare the shit out of me, I was afraid to walk the 200 feet to my house because there were dark spots, and 2)the story(to me) is just laughable.

I just am not one for the "haunting" or ghost movies. The ring just doesn't sit well with me. Now, I'm sure you can tear this little explanation apart, and by all means do. I encourage you to. I just happen to get entertained by a mindless movie where as a great(in your opinion) movie just winds up boring me.
cybershark
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:03 am  Reply with quote

My reasoning for not hating F13 and Halloween is that I actually enjoyed most of the films that they inspired, many of them more then the aforementioned films, so therefore I can't see a reason to hate them. But I aside from Mirrors I've hated all the foreign remakes so far, and even Mirrors wasn't that great, and I honestly do not at all see what the hell was so scary about The Ring, the ghost girl coming out of the tV just made me roll my eyes and groan out load, cause I totally saw the coming a mile away and I found it way more cheesy then scary, and you can go ahead and pick apart this explanation as well but you're never going to convince me that The Ring is a good movie so you might as well give up now.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:33 am  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:

I just am not one for the "haunting" or ghost movies. The ring just doesn't sit well with me. Now, I'm sure you can tear this little explanation apart, and by all means do.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't find possession/Satan movies to be scary at all. But not being into a genre and saying something is terrible because of it is a little extreme.

Quote:
I encourage you to. I just happen to get entertained by a mindless movie where as a great(in your opinion) movie just winds up boring me.

Again, there is a difference between mindless and stupid to the point where it's insulting. Friday the 13th is mindless. The Mummy films and Van Helsing fall into the latter.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:36 am  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
My reasoning for not hating F13 and Halloween is that I actually enjoyed most of the films that they inspired, many of them more then the aforementioned films, so therefore I can't see a reason to hate them.

Really? So you liked crap like Final Exam? Cheerleader Camp? Bloody Murder? I can go on and on.

Quote:
I honestly do not at all see what the hell was so scary about The Ring,

What is scary is subjective. Just like humor.

Quote:
the ghost girl coming out of the tV just made me roll my eyes and groan out load, cause I totally saw the coming a mile away and I found it way more cheesy then scary, and you can go ahead and pick apart this explanation as well but you're never going to convince me that The Ring is a good movie so you might as well give up now.

Why would I try to convince you that The Ring is a good movie? It's like teaching a dog how to speak Chinese.
cybershark
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Haven't seen Final Exam yet, but yes I did like Cheerleader Camp(which BTW seems like an odd mention since most horror fans acutally like that film) and yes I even liked Bloody Murder, and i'll say something that you probably REALLY don't wanna hear-I thought Bloody Murder was alot better then Friday the 13th, go ahead and say what you will.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:20 am  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
Haven't seen Final Exam yet, but yes I did like Cheerleader Camp(which BTW seems like an odd mention since most horror fans acutally like that film) and yes I even liked Bloody Murder, and i'll say something that you probably REALLY don't wanna hear-I thought Bloody Murder was alot better then Friday the 13th, go ahead and say what you will.

As I said in another thread, I loved Cheerleader Camp when I was 16, then I rewatched it and realized that I had shit taste when I was 16. Cheerleader Camp is an awful movie by slasher standards and even movie standards.

You liked Bloody Murder...Holy crap, you've taken horrible taste to new lows.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Bloody Murder. I had to IMDB that one. I knew I saw it but can't remember a single thing about it. I guess I'll file that in the "forgettable" file.

I think most of us had "shit taste" when we were younger. We just haven't seen enough movies to know what's good or not. Also, we didn't appreciate the art of making film. We simply haven't been on the earth long enough for our minds to be opened. It's hard to see anything beyond blood and boobs when you're a young teenager.
When the first Evil Dead came out, my friends and I though it was the best thing ever created. When I watch it today, I still enjoy it with equal parts nostalgia and appreciation for what Rami had to do to get the thing made. It's not the best thing ever like I once thought but that's just part of growing up. I'd say maturing, but this is me we're talking about.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Exactly. Perspective is a cruel, cruel bitch. I remember LOVING this movie called "Megaforce" with Barry Bostwick as this, what I thought, bad ass special ops action hero. About 9 years ago I watched it again. Holy shit that movie is awful. It's downright camp.
cybershark
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Well maybe that's because i'm most likely alot younger then you guys(i'm 19 for those who care) but i also don't rewatch horror films cause I don't want to end up hating horror films that I remember loving,and no offense but I REALLY hope I never end up as picky about horror films as you guys are. Also now I kinda welcome the bad taste thing, cause I sorta like being the outcast of the forum now.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
Well maybe that's because i'm most likely alot younger then you guys(i'm 19 for those who care) but i also don't rewatch horror films cause I don't want to end up hating horror films that I remember loving,and no offense but I REALLY hope I never end up as picky about horror films as you guys are. Also now I kinda welcome the bad taste thing, cause I sorta like being the outcast of the forum now.

I think we all had our suspicions about your age as younger ones tend to be more... well, let's call it passionate.

If you're a die hard fan of any genre, I think you will reach a point where you will be a bit more "picky". You'll get tried of seeing the same mistakes made, the old tired cliches recycled over and over, the unoriginal stories and character development and want to see something, anything, new and fresh. And that's where a lot of us are at. We still love the classics, older movies and independents but are disappointed time and again from the new Hollywood stuff.