FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> "Spaced" on BBC America.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:32 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Another show I'm discovering that is in the same vien as Spaced is Scrubs. I reccomend anyone who loves spaced to check it out, I just started watching the first season on dvd and its hilarious!
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Another show I'm discovering that is in the same vien as Spaced is Scrubs. I reccomend anyone who loves spaced to check it out, I just started watching the first season on dvd and its hilarious!

That comparison is about right since "Scrubs" is only one of the funniest most underrated American sitcoms ever made. Good one, and I fully agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

FleshyHeadedMutant wrote:
I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys Shaun of the Dead type humor Thumbs Up .

Anyone whose ever seen "Spaced" in its entirety will see "Shaun of the Dead" is basically "Spaced" with a horror/drama twist.

The house is the same, Shaun is much like Tim, Ed is kind of like Mike, his roommate (Stevenson) appears briefly and its hinted they had a crush on one another once, the man who plays Pete also plays his arch enemy on the show who stole his girlfriend, the neighborhood is the same, both bike messengers from the series appear as zombies, the pub they go to in both the series and the film is The Winchester, Shaun and Ed play video games nonstop like Tim and Mike, and there's even an episode in "Spaced" where Tim hallucinates shooting down zombies in his flat.

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited by Terminal on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
More people need to watch this show. Seriously. It is about my people (by which I mean nerds) and is absolutely hilarious. If you are into horror, comics, sci-fi, video games, or have artsy/quirky friends this show is a cannot miss. Seriously, it may be the best comedy I have ever seen.

I agree. I'm getting the DVDs and I'm spreading it around as much as I can.

The brilliance of this show is that the pop culture references are SO SUBTLE that you really have to pay attention.

The Sixth Sense spoof with Mike and Tim in the car was hysterical.
And there's even a T2 reference included that was so subtle I missed it the first time.

When Tim is running for the elevator and the boss of Dark Star comes out very slowly and grabbs the paper, takes off his glasses and Tim falls back onto Mike is a scene for scene replication of the sequence in T2 where Sarah sees the T-800 for the first time in years.

This show has to be seen by any self respecting fan of movies, comics, video games, horror movies, television, etc.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:03 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

When Tim yells at the small boy for liking Jar Jar I was on the floor laughing.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:08 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Oh fuck yeah!

That entire episode:
"Why were you fired?"
"Differences of opinion."
"Phantom Menace?"
"How did you know?"

I was in utter tears that his hatred would make him lash out at a small boy. And his reaction to being fired was priceless too.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:34 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Oh fuck yeah!

That entire episode:
"Why were you fired?"
"Phantom Menace?"
"How did you know?"

I was in utter tears that his hatred would make him lash out at a small boy. And his reaction to being fired was priceless too.

Daisy's comparison to her boyfriend as a sandwhich toaster is classic too...as well as Bilbos reaction.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Oh fuck yeah!

That entire episode:
"Why were you fired?"
"Phantom Menace?"
"How did you know?"

Daisy's comparison to her boyfriend as a sandwhich toaster is classic too...as well as Bilbos reaction.

And who can forget the episode with the shooting scene?

Men share this unspoken telepathy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkGS2UccKA
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The line...

"I once punched a guy in the nose for saying HAWK THE SLAYER was rubbish!"

...is the single greatest reference committed to celluloid. I was in fucking tears for ten minutes. Kevin Smith's a fucking amateur next to these guys.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:45 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Kevin Smith's a fucking amateur next to these guys.

Your words are so truthful, I nearly started crying. They put Kevin Smith to shame, they make him look like an eighth grade wannabe.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:47 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Oh fuck yeah!

That entire episode:
"Why were you fired?"
"Phantom Menace?"
"How did you know?"

And who can forget the episode with the shooting scene?

Men share this unspoken telepathy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkGS2UccKA

My all time favorite episode.

My friend and I still have slow motion gun battles when ever we see each other. Ever since we saw that episode we've been doing it. I think once we did it for like 10 minutes. He cheated though and pulled out a rocket launcher. I wasn't down.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:49 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
My friend and I still have slow motion gun battles when ever we see each other. Ever since we saw that episode we've been doing it. I think once we did it for like 10 minutes. He cheated though and pulled out a rocket launcher. I wasn't down.

Bastard!

I loved how they got those druggies off of them in the climax. I loved how the guy was twittling his fingers pretending his neck was spritzing.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Bastard!

I loved how they got those druggies off of them in the climax. I loved how the guy was twittling his fingers pretending his neck was spritzing.

Nah dude the best is when one of them throws the knife when Daisys firing the machine gun and she goes up in the air like it hit her in the chest. It was beautifully orchestrated.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Bastard!

Nah dude the best is when one of them throws the knife when Daisys firing the machine gun and she goes up in the air like it hit her in the chest. It was beautifully orchestrated.

Hah. Yeah, you're right.

I loved how Tim pulled out the guns and noticed they were empty and mutters "Tits!" Hah!

"Jar Jar Binks! He's makes the bloody Ewoks look like shaft!"
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Bastard!

Hah. Yeah, you're right.

I loved how Tim pulled out the guns and noticed they were empty and mutters "Tits!" Hah!

"Jar Jar Binks! He's makes the bloody Ewoks look like shaft!"

OMG That reminds me of the episode where they show Brian Star Wars for the first time. HILARIOUS!