FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Dread Central Cinema -> Feb 27: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre '74
sgtpeppers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am  Reply with quote

You damned fool! You ruined the door!
sgtpeppers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:16 am  Reply with quote

John Dugan (Grandpa) was drunk when Gory and I met him a couple years ago.
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 am  Reply with quote

The film was rejected by the British film censors in 1975, but it did get a limited cinema release in the London area thanks to the GLC (Greater London Council). It was banned again in 1977, when the censors' attempts to cut it were unsuccessful, (for the purposes of a wider release), then it was banned again in 1984, due to the growing controversy involving 'video nasties'. In 1999, after the censors finally changed their policy, they took the plunge, and passed it uncut, for the cinema and video, after 25 years, since they first banned it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 am  Reply with quote

sgtpeppers wrote:
John Dugan (Grandpa) was drunk when Gory and I met him a couple years ago.
Was it Nicki that had the beer bottle opener? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:18 am  Reply with quote

During the dinner scene towards the end of the film, when Leatherface cuts the girl's finger, he actually does cut her finger because they couldn't get the fake blood to come out of the tube behind the blade
ImTheMoon

Gory wrote:
The film was rejected by the British film censors in 1975, but it did get a limited cinema release in the London area thanks to the GLC (Greater London Council). It was banned again in 1977, when the censors' attempts to cut it were unsuccessful, (for the purposes of a wider release), then it was banned again in 1984, due to the growing controversy involving 'video nasties'. In 1999, after the censors finally changed their policy, they took the plunge, and passed it uncut, for the cinema and video, after 25 years, since they first banned it.

yeah there were a lot of films on the video nasty list
Gory

After getting into the old-age makeup, John Dugan decided that he did not ever want to go through the process again, meaning that all the scenes with him had to be filmed in the same session before he could take the makeup off. This took about 36 hours, during a heat wave where the average temperature was over 100 degrees, with a large portion of it spent filming the dinner scene, sitting in a room filled with dead animals and rotting food. Edwin Neal who played the hitch-hiker claimed "Filming that scene was the worst time of my life... and I had been in Vietnam, with people trying to kill me, so I guess that shows how bad it was."
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Gory wrote:
I love how this film just takes you further into hell. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse from being chased by a guy with a chainsaw it does. It gets much worse.
Yeah. I also like that her sole goal in the film is to survive and escape. Far too many horror films morph into action movies at the end, when the protagonist decides they have to fight, or save someone or save the world from evil by blowing up the bad guy. In this, she just wants to get away with her life. I think that's part of why this movie is as effective as it is.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:20 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Gory wrote:
I love how this film just takes you further into hell. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse from being chased by a guy with a chainsaw it does. It gets much worse.
Yeah. I also like that her sole goal in the film is to survive and escape. Far too many horror films morph into action movies at the end, when the protagonist decides they have to fight, or save someone or save the world from evil by blowing up the bad guy. In this, she just wants to get away with her life. I think that's part of why this movie is as effective as it is.

i think it helps that all her friends are dead, there's no one left to save
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:21 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Gory wrote:
Great point!
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 am  Reply with quote

ImTheMoon wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Gory wrote:

She could have decided, after seeing the abuse he took, that the hitchiker was mentally deficient and battered and needed to be turned over to social services.
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Set Designer Bob Burns (who also did Re-Animator and other films) used real animal bones and pieces to create a lot of the furniture and bits of things around the house. in 100 degree heat you can imagine how wonderful it smelled.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Gory wrote:

She could have decided, after seeing the abuse he took, that the hitchiker was mentally deficient and battered and needed to be turned over to social services.

doubt it after the incident in the car
LivingDeadPunk

Gory wrote:
Set Designer Bob Burns (who also did Re-Animator and other films) used real animal bones and pieces to create a lot of the furniture and bits of things around the house. in 100 degree heat you can imagine how wonderful it smelled.
He did The Howling, as well, right?
Gory

It's about time they let Grandpa have some fun.