FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Your Most Prized Comics (if you are a collector)
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Silver Surfer #1

Conan the Barbarian #1

Cry For Dawn complete first printings

The Crow 1-4 Original first printings

Amazing Spiderman #101 First appearance Morbius, 129 First appearance The Punisher, #300
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:58 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I used to have a pretty decent collection when I was a teenager. Then, one 4th of July, my parents' basement flooded and they were all waterlogged to sludge. Fuckin' bummer, too. I had all kinds of odds and ends, some pretty valuable, but my most prized was the entire Darkness (Top Cow) first run, going straight thru the introduction of The Magdalena. I loved that series. Can't wait for the movie/game.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have a collection of about 8 or 9 thousand. Yeah, that many. The first job I ever had as a kid was working in a comic shop, and we were payed half-cash, half-store credit. Though I already had a burgeoning collection, I amassed quite a lot that way. After that, I regularly dropped truckloads of cash at conventions. I stopped seriously collecting in the mid-nineties and mainly just buy trade paperback collections now -- it's much easier on the wallet.
philo beddoe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:22 am  Reply with quote

Preacher 1-15

Walking Dead (All of them)
Desdinova
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote

Gothic Nights by Tim Vigil
Faust
Cry For Dawn
From The Darkness
Detective Comics #526
Ballads & Sagas by Charles Vess
Creepy magazine

There are others but these are the ones that come to mind.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 am  Reply with quote

I truly just love comics for the material. I'm a shitty collector b/c I know I have some valued ones that I never kept in good condition. I have friends who check out what I have and berate me for having issues worth a good penny except for the fact I've done all but cleaned my ass with them.
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:42 am  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
I truly just love comics for the material. I'm a shitty collector b/c I know I have some valued ones that I never kept in good condition. I have friends who check out what I have and berate me for having issues worth a good penny except for the fact I've done all but cleaned my ass with them.

I am with ya. Funny books are for reading. It is like leaving toys in their packaging. Sure it keeps their value up, but you defeat the entire purpose.

I know that you can read comics AND keep them pristine, but I would still rather have a comic with a great story than a comic worth $100 to the right buyer. I try to keep them NM, but it is not a huge priority of mine.
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

I began my love affair with comics at an early age. I pretty much learned to read with 'em.
My favorite charecter was always Spiderman & I also had a serious love for any comic with a horror or monster theme. So, I accumulated a nice size collection of AMAZING SPIDERMANs, HOUSE OF SECRETS, HOUSE OF MYSTERYs, BORIS KARLOFF, RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOTs, MONSTERS ON THE PROWL & so on. And that was before I actually began to seriously collect when I was about 10 in the early '70s.
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

Then, I got into buying a LOT of titles each & every week from all publishers. Though Marvel was by far my favorite.
By the time I was 18 in 1980 I had a very large collection with near complete runs of SPIDERMAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS, THE X-MEN... In all, I had about 3000 comics, all bagged & meticulously cared for.
It was a collection that I'm certain would buy me a very nice home were I still to have it today & auction it off properly. BUT, ( as I'm sure you've all guessed by now... ) I don't own it & haven't since that dark day...
Happy Hamster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

The Sam and Max tpb, that collects all the adventures of the freelance police.
One of the funniest comics ever. Very Happy
Itīs been out of date for ages.

And iīve been buying The Walking Dead since issue 1. Smile
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

... in early 1980 when I sold off said collection for a mere fraction of what it was worth THEN.
You see, I'd stopped collecting comics just a few months earlier & become obsessed with something else...
that being GIRLS.
And by that early spring of 26 years ago, I was head over heels for one girl in particular. And, since we'd been "going out" together for a couple of months by this point, I thought it would be great to get her a ring.
So, being short on cash as I was back then, I figured that since all those comics were just sitting around on all those shelves in my room I'd sell 'em off for some quick cash to a local comic dealer & not miss 'em at all...
Oh the stupidity!
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

Of course my young, moronic, hormone driven self was convinced that I'd done the right thing at first, but it didn't take long for me to realize how badly I'd screwed up & begin to regret selling off my beloved collection like I did.
It's a decision that I've regreted pretty much ever since. Not that I obsess over it or anything, but it still illicits a good loud groan out of me every so often. Know what I mean?
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

Not that I've ever stopped collecting stuff. I've never stopped. I've just never had the heart to go back to collecting comic books ( other than a few horror genre titles & graphic novels here & there over the years ).
I've proudly maintained a complete collection of FANGORIA since issue #1 back in 1979 & I've also invested quite a bit of time & $$$ into my genre novel collection & Stephen King first editions. Plus, my horror themed action figures & my DVD collection.
Psycho
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have Amazing Spider-Man #129 (first Punisher and Jackyl) in CGC 8.5 Off-white to white pages that I paid about $130 for a few years back. I also have Amazing Spider-Man 75-85 each in about VF condition that I paid about $35 each for. I have #44 (2nd Lizard), 69, 72, 91-95, 97-98, each in about VF. Right now, I'm buying most of the Marvel Masterworks so I may eventually sell them.

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/

Brian
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Kingdom Come Leatherbound edition
Superman 60th birthday, limited edition
Young Justice 1 signed by Peter David
Avengers 1 with the George Perez fold out cover
Superman vs. The Flash
The Death of Superman novel
Marvel vs. DC novel
Daredevil 1 Marvel Knights Edition
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address