FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masters of Horror : Season 2
TsMkLg068426
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Well for me, my favorite episodes were Pelts, Black cat and Dream Crusie other than that you did not miss much this season at all, but the only thing I never unterstood why imprint was never shown, they show from Takashi Miike Gozu and Ichi the Killer but not this 1 hour episode, I would really like to understand why it was not shown and got banned I mean seriously it is on showtime and also kids should not watch MOH parents should no better.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Dream Cruise was okay. Not great, just okay.

Those fucking Asians are the epitome of "one trick pony" directors. How many goddamn times are they going to use the same creepy female crawling or walking strange ghost with the long straggly black hair? Jesus Christ. It was creepy the 1st 349 times, but come on. All the Ringu flicks, The Grudge flicks, The Eye, Dark Water, Tale of 2 Sisters, etc etc etc. Every fucking ghost story has the long black hair bitch. It was trendy for awhile to call every American horror film unoriginal and praise Asian horror because it was original and different. Well, as you can obviously see, Asian horror is not immune to unoriginal and tired rehashing. It's like having a new girlfriend. For the 1st few months everything is great and new...then 12 months later, it's just a different pussy who complains too much and you wonder what was so great to begin with.

Also another major complaint was the ending. I had the ending predicted 20 minutes into the episode. I told my fiancée how it was going to end and when it did happen, she accused me of reading about it on the 'net. No, I didn't. It was just fucking obvious as hell. You knew he lost his best friend, you knew he felt bad about it, you knew it was going to come down to a similar situation since they showed the same drowning 7 times, and the boy was not evil or angry because it WAS an accident. The fact the dead friend would save the day was 100% obvious to anyone with a pulse.

Many people are going to give this high ratings because it was very solid, but that doesn't excuse it for being a rehash of every Asian horror film to date. Yes, it was good, but how many times can they keep doing good movies that are almost identical to every other Asian horror ghost story before you say "enough is enough, do something new...". No matter how well it's directed, it doesn't matter when you've seen it all before and can easily predict where it's headed.

Dream Cruise: 6/10
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I highly doubt we'll be seeing a third season.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I highly doubt we'll be seeing a third season.

I wont shed a tear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:26 am  Reply with quote

So, my top five of season two:

1. Family
I just loved this episode. George Wendt was creepy as this seemingly average man who is actually a maniac, his methods for kidnapping, killing, and "cleaning" his victims were disturbing, and of course, there's that surprise ending I absolutely flipped for.

2. The Damned Thing
I thought the entire episode was pretty damn tense, and the notion of this streak of violence through this family that was actually some sort of entity was great. The climax was frantic, the acting was tight, and it's generally satisfying.

3. Sounds Like
I loved the direction, I loved the story, I loved the acting, and the concept of this man being able to hear it all and not do anything to stop it, was great.

4. The Screwfly Solution
The ending was abrupt, and the characters were annoying, but the whole thought of our man hating modern society being turned on its ass by a mysterious spree of men becoming brutally murderous towards women all around the world, and it being generally accepted, was pretty fascinating.

5. Pelts
I just found this episode to be fun. A mystical pelt turning people murderous and the scenes of Meatloaf skinning himself alive were all effective.

The rest I could take or leave. Sad only five episodes were worth a damn. Ugh. What a wasted opportunity this whole series has been.

My five worst, which is tough considering there were a lot of horrible episodes:

1. The Washingtonians
2. The V Word
3. Dream Cruise
4. The Black Cat
5. We All Scream for Ice Cream

The last one wasn't horrible, but it was utterly rehashed and mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:31 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Dream Cruise sucked. Dong.

The end of this now 'traditional' strain of J-Horror and it's knock-offs can't end soon enough for my comfort. Just... MAKE IT FUCKING STOP! It was only mildly amusing when it first came on the (international) scene and it hasn't gotten any moreso since.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Further proof Season Two was all over the map.

Terminal I'm extremely surprised you have that garbage The Damned Thing ranked number 2 yet The Black Cat was on your "worst". Wow.

Looks like not many will agree because this season sucked ass. It really made me appreciate Season one.

My season two ranks.

Best:

1. Pelts
2. Family
3. The Black Cat
4. Sounds Like
5. Pro-Life

Worst:

1. The Washingtonians
2. The V Word
3. The Damned Thing
4. The Screwfly Solution
5. Right to Die

Just barely okay:

1. Dream Cruise
2. We All Scream for Ice Scream
3. Valerie on the Stairs
brainee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Well, if we're doing final Season 2 rankings, here's mine (best to worst):

1. Family
2. The Damned Thing
3. The Screwfly Solution
4. Right to Die
5. Sounds Like
6. The Black Cat
7. Pro-Life
8. Dream Cruise
9. Pelts
10. Valerie on the Stairs
11. We All Scream ...
12. The Washingtonians
13. The V Word

The top third I rate as above-average, the middle third average, the bottom third below average. About the same as last season. Overall, not bad for just any show ... but disappointing considering the talent involved and potential.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:03 am  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:
Further proof Season Two was all over the map.

Terminal I'm extremely surprised you have that garbage The Damned Thing ranked number 2 yet The Black Cat was on your "worst". Wow.

I'd love to be say it was amazing, being Poe and all, but it was a shitty episode. All these visions for a "They lived happily ever after" ending, all of which was one big hand job sans the pay off.

I thought "The Damned Thing" was great, but you said it, further proof.

kiddcapone wrote:
Looks like not many will agree because this season sucked ass. It really made me appreciate Season one.

I would have said season two was better, but they both sucked ass save for some good episodes. This series was one big wasted opportunity. Nothing but safe episodes with no risks taken.

I'm fucking disappointed. Goddamn Showtime.
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:14 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Damned Thing, Pelts, and The Black Cat were amazing.

Everything else can rot in a cesspool for all I care.
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Anybody seen "V" the vampire episode? I missed it.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sirand wrote:
The Damned Thing, Pelts, and The Black Cat were amazing.

Those were the three best, definitely. I also thought Right to Die was pretty decent, as was Sounds Like and Family.

Everything else was pretty painful.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

UC and I watched the first ten minutes of Dream Cruise and were so bored we had to turn it off and watch something else. I suppose we'll eventually get around to watching it, but I'm certainly in no hurry.

My ranking for the season (minus Dream Cruise and We All Scream, which I also missed):

1. Family
2. The Black Cat
3. Sounds Like
4. The Washingtonians (I know most people hated it, but I had a lot of fun with it)
5. The Damned Thing
6. The Screwfly Solution
7. The V Word (watching it with Morgan & Dean raised it up several notches)
8. Pelts
9. Right to Die
10. Valerie on the Stairs
11. Pro-Life
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Pro-Life, V-Word, and Dream Cruise were some of the worst individual hours of television I've ever been subjected to. Ever.

Of course, I make it a point never to watch anything remotely considered reality TV, so I guess they weren't all that bad, considering.

Black Cat, Family, and Screwfly were probably my favorites of the season. Black Cat, for entirely dorkish/sentimental reasons, being big ol' numero uno in my book. Okay, maybe it's tied with family. Wendt Rules.

I missed a few eps mid-season. Gotta go back and catch those before they take them all of VOD. Wouldn't want to waste my money on any of the discs.
TsMkLg068426
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:59 am  Reply with quote

What MOH season 2 felt like to me that they were afraid to push the envelope because of what happened to imprint, but than again wasn't most episode in season 1 pushing the envelope? In season 2 they did not even try, it was more along of having a better plot/story than worrying about the images that you would never forget. Having a good story and plot is important but at the same time there has to be some crazy image to go along.