FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masters of Horror : Season 2
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

What do you think the best of Season 2 might be?

Quote:
The word is out! The fiends at IDT Entertainment have officially released the details on 10 of the 13 MASTERS OF HORROR episodes we’ll be spying next season.

Fango has spread the word on a handful of ‘em already, including John Carpenter’s PRO-LIFE, scripted by Drew McWeeny and Scott Swan. Ron Perlman has been confirmed to headline the episode, along with Caitlin (THIRTEEN DAYS) Wachs and SAW II’s Emmanuelle Vaugier. Also grabbing plenty of headlines on this site is Dario Argento’s PELTS; newcomer Matt (WHITE NOISE 2: THE LIGHT) Venne penned that one, adapting a short story by F. Paul Wilson. John Saxon and Meat Loaf Aday star.

Tobe Hooper reteams with scripter Richard Christian Matheson for THE DAMNED THING. Like Carpenter’s chapter, this one appears to be a creature feature, as Sean Patrick Flanery, Marisa Coughlan and Ted Raimi go up against a “monstrous force” terrorizing a small Texas town. Elsewhere, John Landis has found some co-stars for George (KING OF THE ANTS) Wendt in the Brent (FRAILTY) Hanley-scripted FAMILY: Matt (SCREAM 3) Keeslar and Meredith (DAWSON’S CREEK) Monroe are a young couple who move into some new digs and discover that their neighbor (Wendt) is not all that he seems. This one is already in the can and in postproduction, and Fango has heard this is a vast change of pace from Landis’ previous MASTERS episode DEER WOMAN.

Meanwhile, Stuart Gordon, as previously reported, is reteaming with frequent collaborator Dennis (DREAMS IN THE WITCH-HOUSE) Paoli and Jeffrey Combs (embodying Edgar Allen Poe!) for THE BLACK CAT. This is Combs’ second turn as an infamous literary horror icon, after his role as H.P. Lovecraft in NECRONOMICON.

Switching gears to the new info, director Ernest (DEMON KNIGHT) Dickerson’s got a bloodsucker problem in THE V WORD. Frequent screen heavy Michael Ironside has been cast in this story of two boys who break into a mortuary. Dickerson is working from a script by MASTERS creator Mick Garris, who is helming an episode of his own too; it’s a sex-fueled suspenser called VALERIE ON THE STAIRS, from an original story by Clive Barker. Cast details are unavailable at this time.

Tom (FRIGHT NIGHT) Holland’s WE SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM focuses on an ice cream man whose influence on his young customers has them turning against their parents. Originally entitled I SCREAM, YOU SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM, the episode was adapted by David J. Schow from John Farris’ story. For his MASTERS debut, SESSION 9’s Brad Anderson will bring us the story of a man driven to violent measures when he’s afflicted with the power of “supernatural hearing,” in a Mike O’Driscoll-scripted piece called SOUNDS LIKE.

Last, but not least, Joe Dante (pictured)—who caused quite a stir with last season’s HOMECOMING—reteams with scripter Sam Hamm for THE SCREWFLY SOLUTION. Another tale of a grim nationwide scenario, SCREWFLY is based on Raccoona Sheldon’s short story and depicts the spread of a virus that turns men into women-slaying maniacs. Bringing us the grisly FX for all these minifeatures is KNB EFX, encoring from their bloody work on the first season. Watch this site for more details! —Ryan Rotten / courtesy of Fangoria.com

http://www.mastersofhorror.net/

Last edited by Tobe Romero on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soonertoad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

I thought Cigarette Burns was the best episode so far. It's good to see John Carpenter still has it in him to direct something good. It was in some ways a condensed, yet better version of In the Mouth of Madness.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

I liked Cigarette Burns and Dance of the Dead the most. But, with repeat viewings of all of them, I suspect that might change (I only watched each once).
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Like any anthology series, there where hits and misses...but more of the former, thankfully.

'Imprint' was my absolute favorite, with 'Cigarette Burns,' 'Homecoming,' 'Sick Girl' and 'Deer Woman' being the other high points.

Great series. Can't wait to see what next season had in store for us.
Gimme Toro
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:10 am  Reply with quote

I'm looking foward to the 2nd season.

My favs from season 1 are The Fair Haired Child, Deer Woman, Haeckel's Tale, Cigarette Burns, Dreams in a Witch House, and Jenifer. I liked them all somewhat (except Homecoming, and I wasn't able to finish Pick Me Up).
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen all of season 1 yet - not having Showtime, I've been catching up through the DVD releases. My favorites so far are 'Cigarette Burns' and 'Sick Girl'.
Wylde
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

the only ones I've seen were "Cigarette Burns" and "Dreams in a Witch House."

I loooved "Burns." Found it amazing, and actually scary.

But "Dreams" I found just the opposite. Wasn't impressed a bit.
Screamz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

This is one instance where I actually enjoyed every episode. Of course some were better than others, like Cigarette Burns, which was just amazing and a bit creepy. Although I liked Garris' Chocolate, it's probably my least favorite mostly because it really wasn't horror.

I'll probably skip the inevitable region 1 box-set as each individual release has enough features to keep me happy... I Am A Rockr! I Rock Out!
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:33 am  Reply with quote

I don't have Showtime either so I'm just picking them up as they come out on DVD. I've seen Incident On & Off a Mountain Road, Chocolate, Dreams in the Witch House and Cigarette Burns. Of these, Cigarette Burns was the only one that was genuinely frightening. I loved it (but being a film geek I'm probably a bit biased by the subject matter).

Incident was all right, but the scenes with the killer were too derivative of Jeepers Creepers for me to be spooked by them. I liked seeing Ethan Embry, although I didn't like seeing him fat and bald. What happened to little Mark from Empire Records? That was only 11 years ago. How did he manage to go from 15 to 40 in 11 years?

I liked Chocolate even though it wasn't really horror, primarily because of Henry Thomas. The more I see of him the more I like him. He made Dead Birds for me, too.

Dreams in the Witch House was okay. I'm gonna open myself up for heaps of scorn here, but I'm not really into Lovecraft. I've never found his stuff particularly scary or creepy, even when I was a kid. Movies based on his works are usually just so-so. The only time I've ever liked one was the black and white Call of Cthulhu at last year's Lovecraft Film Festival (which I went to not because it was Lovecraft, but because it's in my hometown and I could watch movies all day for $15). The reason I liked that was the amazing job they did on a shoestring budget. The subject matter could've been anything. But I digress--Dreams in the Witch House, same thing. Just so-so. It was funny to watch the sleight-of-hand they used to make the chubby actress look slim, though, including the body double for her nude scenes.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Holy shit!!!

WIB recanted on Deer Woman! Congrats on seeing the light! Smile
Grimmaldi
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

Loved all of season one except for Homecoming (garbage) and Chocolate (just wasnt much to it). Cigarette Burns by far the best in the 1st series to me, Imprint also right up there.
Looking forward to Jeffrey Combs in The Black Cat
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I'm just a negative man, so-the series falls way short of anything outstanding. I picked up SHOW(me the geek's money)TIME last new year's eve for the marathon in HD, now granted it was not all the episodes, but what I saw was cut like a TNT GARRIS flick. I will be despised for my view but the show is a failure in my eyes-just a gimmick for low budget American DTV(read as a commercial).
I have bought the dual Gordon/Carpenter disk just because I am slightly a completest. BTW used for 9 bucks.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:50 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Sirand wrote:
Holy shit!!!

WIB recanted on Deer Woman! Congrats on seeing the light! Smile

Well, it is a Woman's prerogative and all that . . . Mr. Green

I was totally surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it the second time around. Just goes to show that first impressions aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. I seriously would love to see more of Dwight & Dana.
birdie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Imprint and Cigarette Burns were good. The rest were pretty awful, frankly.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Still haven't seen Imprint or Haeckels or that one about the hitchhiker, but Cigarette Burns and Fair-Haired Child are definitely my Top 2 from Season 1.

Reading what Tobe posted, I'm even more excited about Season 2 now -- it's looking much more pure horror oriented than Season 1.