FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> John Ford
Smilin' Jack Ruby
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:09 am  Reply with quote

Been going on a non-stop John Ford kick of late like I haven't since college. Watching "Young Mr. Lincoln" right now, watched "The Long Voyage Home" yesterday and plan to take on "The Wings of Eagles" next, which I've never seen. The guy is just one of the greatest directors to ever live. Anybody got a favorite?

Mine:

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- The Informer
- The Quiet Man
- The Searchers
- Fort Apache
- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
- The Fugitive
- Drums Along the Mohawk
- The Grapes of Wrath
- The Horse Soldiers

Big fan of the John Wayne stuff, but think his Henry Fonda vehicles - particularly "Drums Along the Mohawk" and "The Fugitive" - are some of his best work.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:45 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I was never a fan.

I prefer my Westerns with a heaping side of spaghetti.
Sam Hell
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote

The cream of the Spaghetti Western crop all point to John Ford.

Sergio Leone made it a top priority to film portions of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST in Utah's Monument Valley. It was Leone's tribute to the man who made that landscape famous through so many of his movies.

I am a big fan of Ford westerns. THE SEARCHERS, for instance, is a film that has had a huge impact on many of today's most respected filmmakers. It's a pretty tough, almost cold-blooded tale, especially for the time it was made. John Wayne's character isn't really the hero cowboy who rides off into the sunset at the end (Actually, he walks into it...but it's more of a lonely walk than a triumphet one). It's definately worth revisiting for those who feel it's a typical old-school western. It'll surprise you.

It's also good to see FORT APACHE finally hitting DVD. I agree!

Aside from westerns, YOUNG MR. LINCOLN is Henry Fonda at his best. It's a movie that relies on the strength of it's dialogue and actors. And it does so with almost perfect precision. I've watched it many times as a kid and as an adult and have never grown tired of it.

And I'll just go ahead and put it out there...Wayne's fight with Victor McLaglen in THE QUIET MAN is one of the most entertaining fights ever filmed. Wink
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:55 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I know I'm gonna get ripped in two for this, but I could never stomach John Wayne. Something about that all-American machismo continually turns me off. Maybe because I was raised in the South. Whenever I see The Duke in action, I'm continually reminded of the propoganda machine from films like 'The Green Berets.'

Give me Eastwood.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:20 am  Reply with quote

I'm another Ford fan; some of my favorites are The Searchers, The Grapes of Wrath, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and Fort Apache.

As far as Wayne, he did make his share of forgettable or downright bad films. But it's a shame that some judge his whole career based on stuff like "The Green Berets". My prescription: have a look at the aforementioned "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", or maybe "Island in the Sky".