FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> R.I.P. RE 5
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

I've reached my limit of Resident Evil. I used to love the series. I still wanted to love it. But I've changed. And it hasn't. Not enough for me to stay.

Capcom has confirmed you will not be able to walk and shoot at the same time. From Joystiq:

"While RE5 is very action-heavy, the base RE game design mechanic of holding fast while shooting remains," says the Capcom blog. Newcomers to the series may need to make some "mental readjustments," but the controls have remained this way to establish a sense of risk and danger while in combat. The new controls will instead grant "more natural motion to the second analog stick on your 360 or PS3 controller,"

I am not a "newcomer to the series", nor do I need to be forced to hold
still to "establish a sense of risk and danger while in
combat". They are ZOMBIES (or similar). They want to EAT MY BRAINS/KILL ME. That is all I need to get a "sense of risk and danger". Being forced to stand in place and shoot makes me seem like a stupid tool who is too
dumb to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.

Also, regarding the demo (I played it on the 360), the idea of holding down the left trigger and the A button to do a basic run is outdated in this day and age. We have analog sticks in the controllers that can tell how far it is being pressed/pushed. That's why games nowadays have it so if you push it a tiny bit, you walk, push it further and you run. To stick with this outdated method of performing the most basic game command is just bizzare. Is it really harder to press a button to run? No. I do it in Gears of War all the time. For whatever reason, it seems to 'fit' there because you have to change your entire body's posture to do the roadie run. Running in RE is basically the same motion, just faster, and the limbs move a bit more.

So I'm leaving RE behind. It's gonna sell a million copies because it is RE. It's nice that you can play with someone else now, but my personal opinion is that isn't enough to get past what I consider the basic design flaws. I know it has always been this way. I know it is tradition. Sometimes tradition needs to change for the good of the product.

Last edited by STR8EVIL on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
HorrorDj
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I played the demo. It was bad. I am sad. I am cancelling my pre order.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:02 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I have to agree wholeheartedly. Maybe I got spoiled by games with incredible control schemes like Dead Space, but the RE5 demo was just atrocious. Lousy aiming, extremely underpowered weapons (two pistol shots to the head doesn't = a kill???), very little ammo, forty zillion enemies in tight quarters, and yeah, an inability to move while shooting.

It's a sad day, but it definitely is the end of the Resident Evil we all knew and loved.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

I'm probably still going to get it anyway. As the OP stated, it is RE and it will sell a million copies.
Somewhere...Jill, the master of unlocking, is sucking Wesker's cock.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
I have to agree wholeheartedly. Maybe I got spoiled by games with incredible control schemes like Dead Space, but the RE5 demo was just atrocious. Lousy aiming, extremely underpowered weapons (two pistol shots to the head doesn't = a kill???), very little ammo, forty zillion enemies in tight quarters, and yeah, an inability to move while shooting.

It's a sad day, but it definitely is the end of the Resident Evil we all knew and loved.
But is that new? I mean the control functions are exactly the same as RE4 and that game fuckin' rocked and got great reviews from nearly every gaming site on the net. Sure there are some flaws, as with every video game, but I'll be damned if I'm going to deny myself some survival horror action. Especially considering how little of that we get.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

I just replayed RE4 last fall and I can't remember if you had to hold down a button to run, or if it was all analog sensitive.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you did have to hold down a button to run in RE4. I don't think you could walk and shoot at the same time either.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:

Somewhere...Jill, the master of unlocking, is sucking Wesker's cock.

I fucking knew it!
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
... Sure there are some flaws, as with every video game..

Granted, there are flaws all around, in every game. These in particular, with reference to RE, is just the end of the line for me. I don't see it as cool or different. It just reeks of laziness in under the false name of tradition and seems antiquated.

It's more the 'not being able walk and shoot at the same time' than the 'press a button to run" thing, even tho that is nearly as bad. Am I expected to believe, of all people in the world, Chris Redfield is unable to walk and shoot at the same time? I get not being able to RUN and shoot at the same time, your accuracy would fucking horrible. But I find it impossible to believe that Chris, with a zombie 3 ft in front of him is unable to slowly walk away and shoot. I know we're talking about a video game here, but it seems to me common sense says with a room full of enemies you'd walk away if possible to get some distance while firing at the closest threats.

Also, I guess this is technically only a 'flaw' in my eyes. Capcom intended for this to be this way, for better or worse.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:
But is that new? I mean the control functions are exactly the same as RE4 and that game fuckin' rocked and got great reviews from nearly every gaming site on the net. Sure there are some flaws, as with every video game, but I'll be damned if I'm going to deny myself some survival horror action. Especially considering how little of that we get.

It's been eons since I played RE4, so I honestly don't remember how identical they are. All I know is that I had no problem dropping people in that one, making precise shots with every weapon. In this one, on the 360 anyway, I couldn't do jack. Close shots, the aim rotated too slowly even on maximum sensitivity. Far shots (like sniping across the gap in the second scenario) one nudge of the stick moves the aiming laser 10 feet to the left even on the minimum sensitivity, making it nearly impossible to pick off the creeps as they advance on your partner.

It's entirely possible that I'm just spoiled by games like Dead Space (dismemberment is the new headshot) but if true, then it amounts to the RE4 mechanics being just plain obsolete. The bar has been raised, then, and RE5 doesn't even come close to clearing it.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I'm guessing they kept the stationary aiming in there to raise the tension. Sure, you can move out of the way a little in Dead Space and every other new game, but this is Resident Evil. It's always been about ammo conservation and the constant fear of running out of herbs. RE4 strayed away from that classic feel, and as cool as it was I think it hurt the series a bit. Now we've come to expect more of an action game instead.
The bar has definably been raised, but I for one am glad they stayed true to the roots of the game. It would feel weird to me if Chris was running, gunning and dodging like Marcus Fenix.
Give it a chance, guys. It might just grow on you. Kinda like that rash your sister gave me. ZING!
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
(dismemberment is the new headshot)

Hell yeah it is.

I'm in the middle of Dead Space, but it still freaks me out. Great game so far.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Give it a chance, guys. It might just grow on you. Kinda like that rash your sister gave me. ZING!

Like you didn't know what kind of girl my sister was when you handed over the money.

Very Happy
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

It's ridiculous that you can't shoot and move. It's antiquated and moronic and makes this game, which I have been looking forward to more than most, not worth the money or time.

It's sad, but then I learned all about disappointment when Silent Hill: Homecoming stank up my PS3, so I guess i shouldn't be surprised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Johnny Butane wrote:
It's ridiculous that you can't shoot and move. It's antiquated and moronic and makes this game, which I have been looking forward to more than most, not worth the money or time.

It's sad, but then I learned all about disappointment when Silent Hill: Homecoming stank up my PS3, so I guess i shouldn't be surprised.

And that's the point here: this is an old franchise, and it can either evolve or die. RE4 was an evolution...but that was several years ago. RE5 needed to be a further evolution, and not only is it not, it take steps backwards from RE4.

I don't care if it's Capcom, I don't care if it's Resident Evil, JB gets it exactly right: if they can't keep up, then they get left behind. There are too damn many -solid- horror titles out there to spend much time on a beloved series who can't release a modern, fun title.