Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> R.I.P. RE 5
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 pm  Reply with quote

STR8EVIL wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
It took like eight years before they ditched the PS controls. Which were a helluva lot worse than these new controls. And those games were still fuckin' fun as hell regardless of that problem.

I just got the most recent issue of OXM, they gave RE5 a 9.0.

I always find "exclusive" reviews to be suspect...

I find OXM itself is suspect. It's an official branded Xbox product. That official brand comes from MS, who could pull it if they were unhappy. I bought OXM twice, decided it wasn't the most objective review rag out there and never bought it again.

I should say not ALL of their reviews seemed overly flowery and pretty. Reviews are just opinions in the end, but I felt too many were essentially blowjobs for MS, especially when compared to a few of the games they were rating as being 'good'.

I trust them...Their reviews are usually fair and I've never flat-out disagreed with anything they said...They pretty much agreed with my thoughts on Dead Space and gave it a 6.5...I would have said 7 but that's neither here nor there....

I'm really hoping I have fun with RE because I love the series, but the controls are, in fact, incredibly antiquated.
bulletcrazy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Although I haven't played RE5 yet, all the people saying Dead Space is the "evolution" of RE4 and takes it to the next level are completley wrong. Dead Space was actually one of the most repetitive and dissapointing shooters I've ever played. It's not really scary cause it's mostly lit pretty brightly (unlike say, Doom 3), and the gameplay doesn't have the variety of RE4 (and I'm assuming 5). Think about how creative RE4 is with inventive boss-battles, the great use of quick-time events to spice up combat, differing environments.

As far as I'm concerned, they can leave the gameplay untouched from RE4 and just spice up the graphics and I'll be happy
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

bulletcrazy wrote:
Although I haven't played RE5 yet, all the people saying Dead Space is the "evolution" of RE4 and takes it to the next level are completley wrong. Dead Space was actually one of the most repetitive and dissapointing shooters I've ever played. It's not really scary cause it's mostly lit pretty brightly (unlike say, Doom 3), and the gameplay doesn't have the variety of RE4 (and I'm assuming 5). Think about how creative RE4 is with inventive boss-battles, the great use of quick-time events to spice up combat, differing environments.

As far as I'm concerned, they can leave the gameplay untouched from RE4 and just spice up the graphics and I'll be happy

You're talking atmosphere, we're talking controls...2 vastly different things.

Resident Evil has never really been scary...Not to me anyway...Intense, sure, scary....not really.

And I'm sure you will be happy with 5 as will a lot of other people, but there is a big chunk of the gaming population (and so far the majority of people I talked to) that think the new game isn't worth playing because of it's terrible controls.
goblin310
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 am  Reply with quote

Well it sounds like Capcom is listening to the complaints and adding a more "Gears of War like" control scheme so every one can calm down.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:49 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

goblin310 wrote:
Well it sounds like Capcom is listening to the complaints and adding a more "Gears of War like" control scheme so every one can calm down.

The news from the other day said the opposite, it was a 'no way no how'. Do you have a source?
goblin310
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 am  Reply with quote

This was posted on Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-vEW3Fj7tU
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:51 am  Reply with quote

If that's the case, then why aren't they part of the demo?
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:37 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

goblin310 wrote:
This was posted on Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-vEW3Fj7tU

I have no idea where that XBL video came from, but the 'gears' style controls were announced back in September. The problem is that this story landed last week:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/02/confirmed-no-run-and-gun-in-resident-evil-5-ever/

That's straight from Capcom, last week.

I'm believing Capcom over some XBL video, unless the guy in the XBL video was referring to 'strafing' which is pretty damn useless.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

After going back and playing the demo yet again, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that run 'n gun (or even walk 'n gun) would break the current game. To avoid almost any attack, all you have to do is scoot back or to the side a little. Imagine how easy that would be if you didn't have to put your gun down.
In order to implement the run 'n gun controls effectively, Capcom will have to reinvent the series eventually. I for one have no problem with the aiming system, although the basic walking controls do seem a bit clunky.
goblin310
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:58 am  Reply with quote

Well no matter the control scheme I will still be buying it as soon as I have the money
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm a die-hard RE fan...

...and am now very depressed after playing the demo. The stationary character position blocks 1/3 of the screen and I can't shoot worth a shit when enemies are swarming at me cause I can't move or see very well. Plus the buddy system is impossible to handle since you are always worried about yourself.

They spent all their time on the graphics and none on the gameplay.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
I'm a die-hard RE fan...

...and am now very depressed after playing the demo. The stationary character position blocks 1/3 of the screen and I can't shoot worth a shit when enemies are swarming at me cause I can't move or see very well. Plus the buddy system is impossible to handle since you are always worried about yourself.

They spent all their time on the graphics and none on the gameplay.
Try a different control setting and/or change aiming sensitivity. Also, if you're going to stand any chance in the demo, you have to keep moving. Shoot, move, shoot, move. Players that stay in one spot for too long always get fucked up in no time. It helps alot to melee an enemy when they stagger back from a bullet as well. That will create great distance between you and them. Keep practicing and you'll soon have more fun with it. In my opinion, the demo was actually too easy.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

I feel like beating a dead horse this morning...

From Kotaku:

"With the chance to ask Capcom serious, important business questions following the company's recent financial earnings forecast, one Japanese analyst took it upon himself to...complain about Resident Evil 5's control scheme.

Yup, no probing questions about profits and yen valuations and business plans. Instead, he kicks his question-o-tron all the way up to "whine" mode, saying "I thought Resident Evil 5 had very poor playability in the demo version, so I would like to hear Capcom's opinion."

Capcom's response? "We would prefer not to comment, as we haven't received any such opinion."

Really, Capcom? Really?"

That's gotta be bullshit. When was the last time gamers were universally happy with anything? Anyway, I've moved on from this, but thought Capcom's silly denial could use a mention.
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 am  Reply with quote

I never played Resident Evil 4, but after Left4Dead I found the controls of Resident Evil 5 ponderous. Even changing weaopns and reloading was a hassle. When the shambling hordes are attacking I've got no time for reloading hassles.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:27 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

rjschwarz wrote:
I never played Resident Evil 4, but after Left4Dead I found the controls of Resident Evil 5 ponderous. Even changing weaopns and reloading was a hassle. When the shambling hordes are attacking I've got no time for reloading hassles.

And that's the point. Years ago, RE4 was incredible. Now? It's stagnant and outdated. You -can not- have a control scheme like this in a game like this in today's world. Bioshock, Dead Space, Fallout 3...the world has moved on. When you forget this is Resident Evil and just compare it to other games like it today, it does -not- stand up when it comes to the controls.