FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Wrong Turn 2
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
The climax in front the the meat grinder was edited and shot like shit...

Disagreed. I thought it played out very well. It was never confusing or choppy at all. In fact, it's probably my favorite kill in the entire film. So nope, didn't see anything wrong with it.

The acting was really bad from everyone in the "good" cast except Rollins, and the producer girl from Manny and Lo..

The only actor who bothered me at all was Steve Braun, but he was supposed to be annoying, so mission accomplished. Everyone else was right on par with the cast of the original for me. And hell, Leerhsen showed a lot more energy and pluck than Dushku (who is waaaay overrated) did in the first.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:

Disagreed. I thought it played out very well. It was never confusing or choppy at all. In fact, it's probably my favorite kill in the entire film. So nope, didn't see anything wrong with it.

To me, the meat grinder scene was the one part of the movie that felt like Lynch ran out of time and/or money. It works in the end, but I get the feeling he wanted to show more there.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:
It was just all typical STV fare to me, with the so bad it's good result.

I couldn't disagree more. His camera setups were inventive and interesting throughout -- this was not a static movie at all. Hell, he even put that MEAN STREETS camera rig to good use with the "hatchet to the head" scene. If anything, this is yet more proof that many STV horror films these days are outclassing their theatrical rivals. This was really a breath of fresh air, and it was obviously done by someone with energy, talent and a love of the genre.

I found that hatchet to the head scene probably the sloppiest, incidentally.

I mean I thought the delving into the freak family was horrible, the jealous female freak sub plot was excruciating, and the dialogue was wretched. Even as a silly film I wasn't overwhelmed.

I'll keep an eye out for future titles, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm still trying to decide if this movie sucked, or if I liked this movie because it sucked. I'm not sure yet.

I WILL say that it is better than the original, and I'm glad the writers seemed to know the absurdity of the plot and went from there with the script.

And Henry Rollins, wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
And hell, Leerhsen showed a lot more energy and pluck than Dushku (who is waaaay overrated) did in the first.

On that we agree too. She just whined, and got all the credit for the movie for the Buffy freaks. I think Leerhsen was better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

And see, I loved the family of freaks. Unlike even the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES, these freaks actually functioned as a believable family. I loved the jealous sister and her attack on the shoreline, I loved the father passing the bow and arrow to his kid, I loved the TCM 2 homage in their home at the end. That stuff was absolutely fucking great and actually established the antagonists as characters -- something Alexandre Aja could never do. Indeed, the freaks were better established than the regular human characters.

Basically, I think everything you're saying is incredibly off the mark, no offense. WT2 had no right to kick as much ass as it did. Honestly, it's some of the most pure fun I've had with a horror film all year.

I mean, seriously, have you seen HILLS 2? THAT sucked. This was a fucking blast.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
To me, the meat grinder scene was the one part of the movie that felt like Lynch ran out of time and/or money. It works in the end, but I get the feeling he wanted to show more there.

And regardless, he showed plenty. This was a splatter film through and through. I'm completely baffled by the whole "it was shot and edited like shit" comment -- save that for MTV-style avid fart films that actually deserve it. It's not like we weren't clear on what was going on.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
And see, I loved the family of freaks. Unlike even the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES, these freaks actually functioned as a believable family. I loved the jealous sister and her attack on the shoreline, I loved the father passing the bow and arrow to his kid, I loved the TCM 2 homage in their home at the end. That stuff was absolutely fucking great and actually established the antagonists as characters -- something Alexandre Aja could never do. Indeed, the freaks were better established than the regular human characters.

Good points but I STILL hated these moments.

Messiahman wrote:
Basically, I think everything you're saying is incredibly off the mark, no offense. WT2 had no right to kick as much ass as it did. Honestly, it's some of the most pure fun I've had with a horror film all year.

I appreciate you acknowledging that I have a different opinion and the respect toward that, but I think I'm pretty on the mark especially since I didn't take this seriously, just as a silly movie and still didn't like it too much in the end.

This will just have to be one of those movies I simply don't like in spite of the hooplah. Been there with The Roost, Cabin Fever, and Creep. I don't hate it like the aforementioned titles, I just thought it failed to live up to the hype in many respects. Nothing popped beyond that bad ass Henry Rollins.

Goddamn I'd love to meet that dude.

Messiahman wrote:
I mean, seriously, have you seen HILLS 2? THAT sucked. This was a fucking blast.

Let me introduce you to my review on Film Threat:
http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=reviews&Id=9921

Haha.

And I actually prefer Hatchet when all was said and done, at least it made me laugh out loud.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:
I'm completely baffled by the whole "it was shot and edited like shit" comment -- save that for MTV-style avid fart films that actually deserve it. It's not like we weren't clear on what was going on.

Exactly. Everything was stylized, but in a coherent Raimi-esque way.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:16 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal, we'll agree to disagree on this one. I had a blast with it, you didn't. Just like I vehemently detest everything about HEROES and you love it. Different strokes.

We will unite in our shared hatred for the Asylum.
Don Piano
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:19 am  Reply with quote

I have to say, I was more than a little leery going into it. It's a direct-to-DVD sequel to a movie that wasn't all that good. In fact, I remember very little about the first one at all. Not only that but the plot involves a friggin' reality show. To me, it looked like it had the potential to be a disaster.

But it's not. It's actually really, really good. It's not only leagues better than the original, it's better than most of the movies I've seen this year. It's far from being perfect but goddamn, it's a lot of fun.

Let me also say that Rollins is the man.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

The first one was mostly cliche piled upon cliche with ham-handed, poorly realized attempts at suspense (that failed miserably) and only one mildly memorable kill. This film embraced the silliness of the concept and slapped blood and guts all over it. Who gives a shit if the script was weak -- there were so many signature moments and gleefully exuberant kills that they more than make up for any deficiencies in the writing. Lynch was having a ball here, and it shows. This is the ultimate Fango fan movie, rather than ponderous and self-serious like the first film. This movie actually knows how to have fun, and it really delivers on the splatter scale.

Personally, I think it's a much better directorial debut than the absolute mess that was CABIN FEVER.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:
Personally, I think it's a much better directorial debut than the absolute mess that was CABIN FEVER.

Don't even get me started on how badly that movie sucked.

WT2 is kick ass. That is final.

Twisted Evil
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Messiahman wrote:

I agree.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I liked it. It reveled in its stupidity and had some great kills. Rollins had me laughing more times than I did through the whole of, say, Blades of Glory. (Which may be less of an endorsement for WT2 and more of a warning about BoG)
Legba
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

I liked this. Like a few have mentioned it seemed to have a good understanding of what it was, which was a pretty nasty piece of work I might add. Although a little too action oriented, slick, and trendy (especially the BR story element) to evoke the sensibilities and attitude of the regional Horror era. But a spirited good try!