FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Wrong Turn 2
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

First off, I have to say that I loved Wrong Turn...To me, it was the TRUE throwback to late 70's/early 80's horror that so many movies have tried to be recently...And it actually had better acting that most of it's ilk...Though the best actor dies first, but hey...

When I heard that this sequel was DTV I was bumbed...We all know the stigma that goes with DTV, though in recent years, it's really been improving...Well Wrong Turn 2: Dead End both lives up to that stigma and breezes by it...

The first and foremost of the bad is the script...It's pretty much an endless string of set pieces thinly tied to a "reality TV" plot...It's a shame too, because there are some truly original and twisted scenes in this movie...But man, the dialogue is WRETCHED....Every single line of dialogue is terrible...Mad that much worse by some of the worst acting I've seen in a long time...Not only was it bad, but grating as well...Everyone is annoying as hell in their repsective "types" and none of them are convincing....Not even Henry Rollins, who if the movie had been taken seriously, would have worked but seeing as how most of the movie is done for laughs (though it's not funny) his roll is that much sillier...And I was kind of embarassed for him...

Sounds like I hated it, right? Well I didn't...Why? Because the action and horror elements of the film are about 80% great...The people who die and when they die is almost constantly a surprise and it's all shot reasonably well...Joe Lynch shows some real talent for this stuff...Now he just needs better material and actors...

The gore is satisfying as well and there are some truly twistedly original spins on familiar death scenes...Though the final cofrontation and resolution was pretty dire...

It's too bad they didn't try for a more serious tone like the first film...This might have been great movie...Instead it's a pretty bad movie with some good or great scenes in it....

8/10-horror elements
4/10-everything else

6/10
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sirand wrote:
I don't care if it acted visceral - the first movie was nothing more than a cliched, teeny-bopper Hollywood movie. I have little hope for a DTV sequel.

Wow. What a difference a year makes.... Laughing

Saw WT2 last night at a Los Angeles screening. Such a fun experience with a crowd!Picking up the DVD tonight.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:13 am  Reply with quote

The directing sucked, the acting sucked, the make up effects sucked, and the attempted peek at the home life of the freaks was the purest of pure stupidity, but ultimately it's one of those so awful it's entertaining flicks.

6/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Actually, Lynch's direction was stylish and energetic - it elevated the mediocre script. The acting was all perfectly adequate, with Rollins standing out nicely as the badass former marine (it's about damn time someone cast him properly). The gore and makeup were all outstanding, and the whole thing had a perverse 80s "video nasty" vibe to it, and it evoked fond memories of DEAD ALIVE, RE-ANIMATOR, JUST BEFORE DAWN and TCM 2. Every single kill/setpiece was handled excellently, and several of them are the best I've seen in quite a while. This is certainly a case of a director going above and beyond the source material, and Lynch is without a doubt a talent to keep an eye on.

Honestly, it's one of the most enjoyable, flat-out fun horror films of the year. It doesn't take itself too seriously, yet it still delivers the goods.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
The acting was all perfectly adequate, with Rollins standing out nicely as the badass former marine (it's about damn time someone cast him properly). The gore and makeup were all outstanding, and the whole thing had a perverse 80s "video nasty" vibe to it, and it evoked fond memories of DEAD ALIVE, RE-ANIMATOR, JUST BEFORE DAWN and TCM 2. Every single kill/setpiece was handled excellently, and several of them are the best I've seen in quite a while. This is certainly a case of a director going above and beyond the source material, and Lynch is without a doubt a talent to keep an eye on.

The climax in front the the meat grinder was edited and shot like shit...The acting was really bad from everyone in the "good" cast except Rollins, and the producer girl from Manny and Lo...I agree about all the other stuff you said though...But I doubt I'll buy it until it's $5.99 at Circuit City or something...
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:
Actually, Lynch's direction was stylish and energetic - it elevated the mediocre script. The acting was all perfectly adequate, with Rollins standing out nicely as the badass former marine (it's about damn time someone cast him properly). The gore and makeup were all outstanding, and the whole thing had a perverse 80s "video nasty" vibe to it, and it evoked fond memories of DEAD ALIVE, RE-ANIMATOR, JUST BEFORE DAWN and TCM 2. Every single kill/setpiece was handled excellently, and several of them are the best I've seen in quite a while. This is certainly a case of a director going above and beyond the source material, and Lynch is without a doubt a talent to keep an eye on.

Honestly, it's one of the most enjoyable, flat-out fun horror films of the year. It doesn't take itself too seriously, yet it still delivers the goods.

What he said.

At it blows the original movie outta the water.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:

Hahahaha...No, it really doesn't...But it's cool that you think that.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Actually, Lynch's direction was stylish and energetic - it elevated the mediocre script.

I completely agree about Rollins, but as for Lynch, I thought he was completely underwhelming. It was just all typical STV fare to me, with the so bad it's good result. I'll keep an open mind with Lynch's future titles, but "Wrong Turn 2" really hasn't convinced me of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:20 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Term, what are you smoking? To call Lynch's direction "standard fare" is just plain nutty. It's like listening to all those AICN talkbalkers talking smack about how "30 Days of Night" looks like a cheap DTV movie.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Term, what are you smoking? To call Lynch's direction "standard fare" is just plain nutty. It's like listening to all those AICN talkbalkers talking smack about how "30 Days of Night" looks like a cheap DTV movie.

Comparing me to dumb people for having a different opinion about a director? Alright then, either way, I saw nothing worth blowing my load about with Lynch's direction at all. You can disagree, but stow the attacks, eh? It was still just standard STV fare to me. To reiterate, I'll keep an eye out for future titles, but he hasn't convinced me of anything thus far.

As for Rollins, I enjoyed him a great deal in this.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Sirand wrote:

Hahahaha...No, it really doesn't...But it's cool that you think that.

Yes, it really does. Far and away. It's a much more tightly directed film that has twice the energy of the first one, and the kills are infinitely more creative and fun.

And it's also better than HATCHET.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
It was just all typical STV fare to me, with the so bad it's good result.

I couldn't disagree more. His camera setups were inventive and interesting throughout -- this was not a static movie at all. Hell, he even put that MEAN STREETS camera rig to good use with the "hatchet to the head" scene. If anything, this is yet more proof that many STV horror films these days are outclassing their theatrical rivals. This was really a breath of fresh air, and it was obviously done by someone with energy, talent and a love of the genre.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I loved it. One of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time. Loved Rollins going all Dutch on the mutants, and the mutants actually acting like a family. Good stuff! Can't wait to see what Lynch comes up with in his next endeavor, and his next acting gig Wink
The one thing that was bad was that I don't remember any of the characters names except one.

The shit ghost line had me rolling.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

When I found out the Leprechaun 2 people wrote this I was concerned. But Lynch's directorial skill balanced the scales.

Rollins was 100% badass in this movie.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Watching it again, I picked up on a few extra things. I think my favorite thing in the movie now isn't a gore shot, but...

*SPOILERS*

When Rollins finds the producer girl dead and takes her gameshow dogtags. I fucking died of laughter! It's such a brilliant little detail.