FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> EGM is no more
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 am  Reply with quote

My favorite gaming magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, is done.
Last month's issue with Wolverine was the last one.
The real kick in the balls was that the whole EGM crew busted their ass to put out the next issue featuring coverage of Street Fighter IV, featuring an awesome cover of Ryu and Ken, and Ziff-Davis won't let them print it and distribute it.
The whole EGM crew got laid off.
But Mielke said in his blog that he will put the entire issue, ads and all, on the 1up.com website soon so fans of the magazine can see the final issue.
I've been reading EGM for 15 years. I always loved seeing it waiting in my mailbox.
It sucks to see it go.
DavidFullam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 am  Reply with quote

Funny, I dug out my old Sega Genesis/Sega CD games after Christmas. That also included several old issues of EGM that had tricks and codes. What a shame. I remeber the days of EGM, EGM 2 and Mega Play.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I found out a few days ago, kinda a shame, even though I haven't read it regularly in years. It used to be my go-to mag of the 90's, but I've fallen off in recent years. I bought Jan's issue today as a sign of final respect.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Jerel Of The Dead
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Son Of A Bitch! I love EGM and was looking forward to the next issue. What am I supposed to do now? Read Game Informer? No thank you, what kind of reimbursement will Ziff-Davis give us subscribers? Ziff-Davis, you can eat all the dicks
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Game Informer is actually one of the best video game magazines out. They're reviews are fair, and unbiased just like EGMs were. Plus they have cover features on games most magazines have quarter panel blurbs about like Alpha Protocol and Brutal Legend.

I stopped reading EGM regularly about a year ago...Good mag, but there was nothing in there that I couldn't get elsewhere....Though I'm bummed to see it go. The magazine was well respected so all of those guys will end up elsewhere in no time.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just as bummed as you guys. In the back of my closet are issues #90 to present, nicely stored in white cardboard boxes. Wish I still had my early issues, but a "friend's" mom threw them out. Long story you're most certainly not interested in hearing.
I got the feeling something was up when the Hsu and Chan comic just up and stopped running. By far the best gaming mag out there, it was funny yet not childish (looking at you, Gamepro) and I really came to trust the reviewers. Seanbaby was a riot, and he's got his own website so you can still see what he's up to. Remember the special page you would get if you subscribed by mail? It didn't last too long, but it was nice to have that little bonus. And who was Sushi-X anyway?
1UP.com is still around, but it's just not the same. Such a pity that in these days of computers there's less of a demand for the good old magazine. Kind of hard to take the computer in the shitter with you, ya know? Oh well, at least we still got Game Informer.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:26 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Let's talk plain facts here for a minute:

Video game -magazines- are dead. Period.

Game Informer exists for one reason: it's 'free' with a GamersEdge card at Gamestop. That keeps it's circulation numbers way up there. EGM was on life support for awhile. My last two EGM subs were free with some other purchase.

The official mags (Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo Power) will still keep breathing for now because of the built-in fanbase, but I imagine Xbox is only getting sales because of the disc packaged with each issue. (Same for PC Gamer.) Sony already has Qore on the PS3, so I imagine as that grows they'll eventually ditch the print mag. Nintendo Power...hell, Nintendo could market official Nintendo Arsenic and people would buy the shit.

It's just the hard reality: 'digital' print journalism is absolutely dead. It no longer makes sense to manufacture and ship magazines that cover technology, as the technology they cover is now 'online'! There's just no reason for it.

I feel bad for people out of a job, but if I was working for a magazine, I'd be taking classes or doing whatever I needed to do to jump to another industry or find a paying online gig (which is like finding a winning lottery ticket on the floor of a crowded bus).
Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Its funny because the toy industry still clings to the almighty power of a print mention. I've been co-editor for Action-figure.com for 7 years now and we still get passed over for exclusives in favor of toyfare magazine. Hell the majority of our news comes from pre-order information on retailer sites. way harder to work there than on dread, where the movie companies at least acknowledge your worth to them.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I still love getting print magazines...I have a desk top Mac so I can't take that with me in the can...Plus I like reading them while in commute and transit and such.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
My favorite gaming magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, is done.

I gave up on print magazines a few years back. Online news is faster and easy to access. I kept a subscription to gamespot.com for a few years, but they went to shit as well, so I let it expire. Now I just keep RSS feeds to a few sites. The guys I work with follow gaming as well and we discuss it a few times each week so I keep fairly informed that way.

So, while I'm sad to see EGM go, I no longer had any use for it. It sucks for those folks, trying to find jobs in this economy and paying the mortgage on an ever dwindling bank account. Hope they turn out alright.
acp35
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 am  Reply with quote

I'll never give up print mags. Theres something about reading those dog earred pages. Nothing replaces that for me.