FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
Legba
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I saw it last night and thought it was a transfixing riot. With Hitler's death remaining the subject of so much mystery and ambiguity, either bottled or unknown, the events surrounding it are ripe for a deconstructive retelling since there's no possibility of reconstructing what 'actually' happened. I kept being reminded of the Nazi propaganda minister Josef Goebbel's line "It's the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion" with history generally written by the victors to justify their actions, to arouse patriotic fervor, and to suppress claims of the vanquished. The thematic point of the film, no matter what the extent of the liberties taken, is to question how confident you are that the power to drive and determine public opinion will always reside in responsible hands? And I can't think of a more fitting object for Tarantino's farcical exploitation. The sequences just seemed to carry a cinematic life of their own. Wonderful compositions, humor, suspense, and violence - and the performances top notch. The crowd I watched it with were in a state of hysterics through most of the film, with a noticeable air of marijuana. With exception of an idiotic projection error that rendered a very small part of the image off the actual screen (which I thought carried a small sense of irony during a certain portion of the film.), the theatrical experience doesn't get any funner than this anymore. Oh well, as good an excuse as any to get out and see this gem on the big screen again.

Last edited by Legba on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Thankfully I avoided almost all the spoliers before seeing it last night. It's been a long long time since I was so absorbed while watching a film and have it stick with me after it was done. Easily the best film I've seen this year and perhaps the last few years.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Legba wrote:
I saw it last night and thought it was a transfixing riot. With Hitler's death remaining the subject of so much mystery and ambiguity, either bottled or unknown, the events surrounding it are ripe for a deconstructive retelling since there's no possibility of reconstructing what 'actually' happened. I kept being reminded of the Nazi propaganda minister Josef Goebbel's line "It's the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion" with history generally written by the victors to justify their actions, to arouse patriotic fervor, and to suppress claims of the vanquished. The thematic point of the film, no matter what the extent of the liberties taken, is to question how confident you are that the power to drive and determine public opinion will always reside in responsible hands? And I can't think of a more fitting object for Tarantino's farcical exploitation. The sequences just seemed to carry a cinematic life of their own. Wonderful compositions, humor, suspense, and violence - and the performances top notch. The crowd I watched it with were in a state of hysterics though most of the film, with a noticeable air of marijuana. With exception of an idiotic projection error that rendered a very small part of the image off the actual screen (which I thought carried a small sense of irony during a certain portion of the film.), the theatrical experience doesn't get any funner than this anymore. Oh well, as good an excuse as any to get out and see this gem on the big screen again.

awesome post...I agree 100%.

...can't wait to see it again.