FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
Impure159
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Quentin out tarantinos himself with this.
I liked it but to say it could have been much better is an understatement.

I feel as though it was wrongly advertised though.
joyhorror
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:10 am  Reply with quote

let's kill some nazi's
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Wow, this one totally defied my expectations. Really superb. The audience I saw this with ate up every single scene. When they weren't laughing their asses off, they were gasping or groaning. Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt, and Till Schweiger are perfect in their roles.

I'd say IB has the most lengthy conversations out of all the Tarantino films. The conversations work perfectly to rachet up tension though so I can't say they weren't necessary. I'll go so far as to say this is Tarantino's best film.

Go see it now!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:52 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Wow, this one totally defied my expectations. Really superb. The audience I saw this with ate up every single scene. When they weren't laughing their asses off, they were gasping or groaning. Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt, and Till Schweiger are perfect in their roles.

I'd say IB has the most lengthy conversations out of all the Tarantino films. The conversations work perfectly to rachet up tension though so I can't say they weren't necessary. I'll go so far as to say this is Tarantino's best film.

Go see it now!

I agree with every single word except this being his best film. Jackie Brown is better, but this is a VERY close second. I loved nearly every single second. The only thing I didn't like was Mike Myers. Even in a serious role he annoys the living shit out of me.

10/10
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Were you as bummed out as I was when Stiglitz bit the dust? I loved that fucking guy! He didn't say much, but then again he didn't have to, his facial expressions said it all!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 am  Reply with quote

SPOILERS

LSD Zombie wrote:
Were you as bummed out as I was when Stiglitz bit the dust? I loved that fucking guy! He didn't say much, but then again he didn't have to, his facial expressions said it all!

Shhh....Spoilers man, spoilers...Yes I was, but more so how it was edited. He had one of the best introductions of a character I've ever seen.
X-Count
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Jew Bear! Jew Bear! Jew Bear! Dammit! No Jew Bear came to whack Nazis in their fuckin' heads. (sad face) I loved the Jew Bear, and Stiglitz. The guy that played Hitler was also fun. Hitler's death was hilarious in this movie. It's also always fun when Brad Pitt plays crazy. If you don't believe me just fuckin' watch 12 Monkeys, Kalifornia, Fight Club and you'll see. If only Sandler wouldn't of turn down the chance to play the Jew Bear.... I've been wondering how fucked up that'd be to see the Sandman play a violent character that bashes Nazis in the head with a bat. I also noticed how clean and clear the cinematography was in this film compared to his others, including Kill Bill.

The only gripe I have about the film is we needed more damn Basterds. Easily Tarantino's second best after Pulp Fiction. Did anyone else notice that Quentin may be running out of ideas for his music he chooses to put in his films when he recycled score music he used in this from Kill Bill?

I viewed it during a Nazi double feature I made myself watch that started with Oliver Hirschbiegel's brilliant film Downfall, which if any of you haven't seen then go fucking see it! Followed by the Basterds midnight showing. Both now have me wanting to make a Nazisploitation project.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:

The only gripe I have about the film is we needed more damn Basterds. Easily Tarantino's second best after Pulp Fiction. Did anyone else notice that Quentin may be running out of ideas for his music he chooses to put in his films when he recycled score music he used in this from Kill Bill?

I think that was deliberate. I doubt a man with a knowledge of music almost if not as extensive as movies would be running out of ideas.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:
Easily Tarantino's second best after Pulp Fiction

HERE HERE!

With repeat viewings, this may even surpass the mighty Pulp....yup, it is THAT DAMN GOOD.

HOLY CRAP THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Er...Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 am  Reply with quote

I was so glad that the majority of the film was either in German or French. It's not such a bad thing for Americans to realize that they share the planet with other societies. That's the sole reason I didn't like Valkyrie. While it wasn't poorly written or acted, the english being spoken completely destroyed the illusion that these events were transpiring in Germany. Of course it's just a movie, but I think you understand where I'm coming from.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:17 am  Reply with quote

There is an easy way around that actually. Have the first couple of lines of dialogue be spoken in the language the movie takes place in then switch to English. This was it gives the illusion that we understand what they're saying while we actually understand what they're saying.
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
There is an easy way around that actually. Have the first couple of lines of dialogue be spoken in the language the movie takes place in then switch to English. This was it gives the illusion that we understand what they're saying while we actually understand what they're saying.

Nah, the easy way would be how about they read the subtitles and watch it that way or don't watch it at all. Laughing I tell that to people that bitch about subtitles.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:

Nah, the easy way would be how about they read the subtitles and watch it that way or don't watch it at all. Laughing I tell that to people that bitch about subtitles.

No, the easy way would be to do what I said in terms of having English speaking actors in a movie like Valkyrie. I couldn't care less, myself, but it would eliminate the distraction of people speaking English from beginning to end in a movie like that.
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:29 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag

I pass on Tarantino.