FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> LOST season 5
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Obligatory SPOILER ALERT for you dumbasses that come here before watching the episodes...

While the Sawyer-Juliet-Kate triangle is starting to seem obviously overdone already with too many "coincidental" meet ups, I think it eventually leads to Kate "recruiting" them two to her cause to stop JAck.

I really digged the buried conflict between Jack and Kate. For the first time in a while, I really appreciated how they portrayed KAte. While JAck is doing the "leader-thing" and trying to correct all the misery that has befallen all the people involved in the crash of OCEANIC 815, Kate is approaching it from a more selfish perspective (not negative, but it does serve her interests more than the whole) because she knows if the plane doesn't crash, she goes to prison, she never meets Jack, she never has her time as a mother to Aaron. I think this will be her motivation to recruit James to stop Jack. If the plane doesn't land, James goes on being Sawyer the con man. He'll never claim his vengence on the man who destroyed his family, he'll never find love with Juliet.

This episode had me laughing my ass off one second with the Chang vs Hurley battle of the wits and cheering the next when Sayid made his usual badass return.

Add all the intrigue between Locke, Richard and Ben and I continue to claim that this was the best episode of the season.

But there's still one to go.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
Obligatory SPOILER ALERT for you dumbasses that come here before watching the episodes...

While the Sawyer-Juliet-Kate triangle is starting to seem obviously overdone already with too many "coincidental" meet ups, I think it eventually leads to Kate "recruiting" them two to her cause to stop JAck.

I really digged the buried conflict between Jack and Kate. For the first time in a while, I really appreciated how they portrayed KAte. While JAck is doing the "leader-thing" and trying to correct all the misery that has befallen all the people involved in the crash of OCEANIC 815, Kate is approaching it from a more selfish perspective (not negative, but it does serve her interests more than the whole) because she knows if the plane doesn't crash, she goes to prison, she never meets Jack, she never has her time as a mother to Aaron. I think this will be her motivation to recruit James to stop Jack. If the plane doesn't land, James goes on being Sawyer the con man. He'll never claim his vengence on the man who destroyed his family, he'll never find love with Juliet.

This episode had me laughing my ass off one second with the Chang vs Hurley battle of the wits and cheering the next when Sayid made his usual badass return.

Add all the intrigue between Locke, Richard and Ben and I continue to claim that this was the best episode of the season.

And you can continue to claim that. And I'll continue to disagree. Yes, it had those moments, but that's all they were, moments. Lost works for me because it's a slow burn but has major reveals, and character moments. This could have been two episodes instead of one. The writing on this show is constantly given a chance to shine and that's due to the pacing. The pacing was too quick in this one for me to consider it the best of the season.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
EvilRex wrote:

And you can continue to claim that. And I'll continue to disagree. Yes, it had those moments, but that's all they were, moments. Lost works for me because it's a slow burn but has major reveals, and character moments. This could have been two episodes instead of one. The writing on this show is constantly given a chance to shine and that's due to the pacing. The pacing was too quick in this one for me to consider it the best of the season.

The pacing was appropriate here because suddenly there were events taking place to motivate the characters to take action.

Since the return of the Oceanic 6 to the island, the pacing was deliberate while we saw Jack in a more reserved role in contrast to Sawyers new in-control role. Meanwhile, Locke and Ben were doing a similar role-reversal in their parallel storyline. Now, finally, John is in control and confident while Ben is second-guessing his intentions and motivations. I do wish though we had more of these episodes because the Ben-Locke relationship went through so much great development over the past 3 seasons.

When Daniel finally returned with so-called answers, it motivated Jack to stop sitting around and again took the mantle as leader. When Locke found Richard it gave him the direction he needed to fulfill his recently revealed quest to kill Jacob.

Lost's writing is so deep, multi-layered and fascinating that of course anyone can see where if they had one more episode to flesh this out or that out more it would be even better. I don't disagree at all that I would much prefer an episode focussed solely on Jack, KAte and eventually Sayid interracting with Richard and Elle while struggling with the morality of using jughead, and then an episode focused on Locke's efforts to convince the Others to follow him on his quest and his developing relationship with Richard as his advisor.

I guess I'm easier to please. Cause I was extremely happy with what I got.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 am  Reply with quote

That was easily the best season finale to any show I've ever watched. It was exciting, heart wrenching and the ULTIMATE cliffhanger! When it was over I yelled "Fuck you!". Not out of anger but more of a "Oh man you got me!".

What I really loved was the way several character arcs came to a head. Especially Sawyer and Jack. A moment I've been expecting since day one finally arrived. Great stuff.

Every single actor performed above and beyond and THE scene between Juliette and Sawyer moved me beyond words.

My ONLY complaint is more of a nit pick since I'm sure a late game changing twist will be explained extremely well next year. But fuck, man, February is a long way away.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

heartbreaking, wonderful episode. I like that Jacob basically has been manipulating/creating Ben in order for him to walk up and do Locke's bidding.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
That was easily the best season finale to any show I've ever watched. It was exciting, heart wrenching and the ULTIMATE cliffhanger! When it was over I yelled "Fuck you!". Not out of anger but more of a "Oh man you got me!".

What I really loved was the way several character arcs came to a head. Especially Sawyer and Jack. A moment I've been expecting since day one finally arrived. Great stuff.

Every single actor performed above and beyond and THE scene between Juliette and Sawyer moved me beyond words.

My ONLY complaint is more of a nit pick since I'm sure a late game changing twist will be explained extremely well next year. But fuck, man, February is a long way away.

Couldn't agree any more.

I even love how they integrated Jacob finally into the mythology and didn't give us some kind of hokey, plot twist about him like a lot internet theorists have been going on about. Like Jack was Jacob or whatever.

This season's finale reminds me a lot of Season 3's where the entire narrative is thrown into a massive hurricane, upending everything we've come to know and understand about this story and leaving us salivating for up to 9 months until we get to figure out what the hell is happening.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:50 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Brilliant season finale!

I was in tears with the scene between Juliet and Sawyer. Such a touching and ultimately heartbreaking scene. I really did not want that to happen!

There's alot of speculation going out and about now that LOST is essentially the story of Jacob and Iso (sp) from the Bible, or better yet, God Vs The Devil. I'm more partial to believe this because of Jacob's adamant nature of talking people into doing things but at the same time leaving it up to them to make the final decision (free choice).

Oh and apparently the Latin that Richard says to answer the question by the Statue folks is "He who saved us all."

My only complaint for the episode was the complete and utter weak writing for getting Sawyer and Juliet off the sub. "I changed my mind!"

Wtf was that? Really? You're better than that LOST.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Buz wrote:

My only complaint for the episode was the complete and utter weak writing for getting Sawyer and Juliet off the sub. "I changed my mind!"

Wtf was that? Really? You're better than that LOST.

I saw that as being about the interplay between the three characters. It's the beginning of the end, for Juliet anyway. She sees that Sawyer would have immediately helped Kate had he not been with her, and I think part of her wanted to let him do that, and part of her was also beginning to realize she would always be playing second to Kate for him and had begun to understand that erasing everything would mean she didn't have to go through all that.

What I didn't buy was Kate's sudden 'oh okay I'll help you, Jack' after like a minute of conversation when she's had ample time to think over the whole thing since Faraday first proposed it. Jack said nothing that was any more convincing than anything he'd said previously, I thought.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:44 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
There's alot of speculation going out and about now that LOST is essentially the story of Jacob and Iso (sp) from the Bible

Ever since Season 3 where the screen read "God loves you as he loved Jacob" I have constantly had "Jacob have I loved; Esau have I hated" running through my head every time they mentioned Jacob. Then it just so happens that there is some counterpart to Jacob... I am calling that bastard Esau until the show explicitly tells me he has another name.

Damn good season finale. I think season 5 is the best so far in the series (before it was a toss up between 2 and 4) with nearly no wasted time. Everything was very well done and intricately designed to connect all of the elements together. That being said, I think that the season 3 finale was better.

SPOILERS

I just have to throw this out there as Locke is probably my favorite character (Desmond has not had enough screen time to steal the title, and while I also love Ben... Locke was there first). This is the third season finale that ends with his dead body. /cry

A bit of a problem with it is that I really cannot rate it yet. Much like the series where I am reserving judgment until all the cards are on the table, it is kind of hard to say that a cliffhanger is good or bad. It does its job in making me really want to come back for more, but at the same time when it is all over and I do not have to wait 9 months to find out what happens next I may view the episode very differently.

Here is to waiting to another year, to see the culmination of it all, for better or for worse. It is a bit sad, but I have realized that one of my life goals is to live long enough to see how Lost ends. It used to be Harry Potter and Lost, and I can only hope Lost ends half as well as Harry Potter did.
Maximum Destruction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 am  Reply with quote

juliet is pretty she knows it too
iank
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 am  Reply with quote

Lost is awesome. Best show on tv at the moment.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Is it January yet?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

January would still mean it's a month off. I'm pretty sure it's premieres in February.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I can always count on you to make something even more painful than it already is... thanks.

I kid
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:28 am  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
I can always count on you to make something even more painful than it already is... thanks.

I kid

Well, you could have waited until January and sat in front of your TV for nothing. Consider it a favor.