FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> LOST season 5
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Okay, first thing I have to say, it is fan-fucking-tastic that there is a show (and a popular one at that) that pretty much adheres to my ideas of what time is. I know it sounds weird, but I have a firm set of ideas on the issue of time that people have a hard time getting due to shit time travel like "Back to the Future" (I enjoy the movies, but come on, it breaks its own damn rules of time travel). In a nutshell, I believe past, present, and future are static, and that even if you traveled to one aside from present things would happen exactly as they always did. It would be like being in the middle of a book; the earlier parts of the book will not change if you go back from your current spot, and it will always end the same way.

The first two episodes were great but the third left me a bit flat. And the weird thing is, I really like Desmond and Faraday (along with Ben and Locke they round out my 4 favs). The story is moved forward, we find out about Desmond, Penny (and the third Charlie in the series), and Faraday, and some red shirts get blown up. It has all the makings of an episode I should love, but for some reason I do not. Maybe it is a matter that I guessed two of the big "surprises" of the episode (Faraday's mum being in LA and Widmore being on the island, I mean come on, we knew he was there at some point and it is heavily hinted he is the leader that ordered the deaths of the Dharma initiative).

Anyway, this is an awesome show and I hope it just keeps getting better. It is funny, I recently rewatched the series, and despite the writers' strike, Season 4 is the best season since the first, and possibly better. There are two episodes in S4 that give me pause to outright declaring it the best, but here is to hoping that the writers can continue to raise the bar as they did last season.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Last night was a "meh" episode for me mostly because I knew exactly where it was going every step of the way...Which is a shame...The ONLY mild surprise is that Jin is alive but I knew he wasn't dead, so it was just a matter of time before they showed him on the show.
conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Dude, I love Ben, I think he is great and I love that the writers have so successfully hidden what he is exactly for so long, but if that son of a bitch killed Penny I am gonna be pissed.

Oh, my not so crazy ass theory for this season; Hurley is the one that started the message with the numbers on it and may very well be the source of the numbers.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

did anyone else notice in the previews that Ben is kneeling in front of Locke as he's about to hang himself? cold!
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
did anyone else notice in the previews that Ben is kneeling in front of Locke as he's about to hang himself? cold!

Yeah. When Jack asked Ben if he knew Locke had killed himself and Ben answered No, I knew he was full of shit. As usual.
TheDamnedThing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 am  Reply with quote

Last episode was weak. Just plain boring. Necessary, I guess, but boring. I'm really looking forward to this week, Locke has always been my favorite character.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Did I miss something?
How did Hurley get out of jail? When did Sayid get arrested?
I'm damn sure I didn't miss an episode.
When did this happen?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:15 am  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
Did I miss something?
When did this happen?

It's this new thing Lost is trying...It's called "leaving things to be explained in later episodes"...It's a new approach for them since they're usually so forthcoming, I know....
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

just got to watch last week's episode!

so Locke's faith is finally rewarded, with a resurrection no less!
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:33 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
ajburton29 wrote:
Did I miss something?
When did this happen?

It's this new thing Lost is trying...It's called "leaving things to be explained in later episodes"...It's a new approach for them since they're usually so forthcoming, I know....

There was a throw away line of him being proven innocent.
reno
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

this was once my favorite show but I completly lost interest this year...

I loved the last two seasons but it really went downhill this year I think. With all those time travels instead of episodic flashbacks/forwards, I really think the show lost it's magic and it's just not interesting for me anymore, sadly
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

reno wrote:

Wow ... I'm the exact opposite. I think this season is simply brilliant and am loving watching all the pieces fall into place.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

reno wrote:

I loved the last two seasons but it really went downhill this year I think. With all those time travels instead of episodic flashbacks/forwards, I really think the show lost it's magic and it's just not interesting for me anymore, sadly

I understand how the new narrative approach can throw off interest, but after a couple episodes in I accepted it.

Expect, though, that the traditional "flashbacks" to return when we learn how Sayid got himself arrested, how Hurley got out of jail, what happened to Aarron, why was Ben all bloody and bruised before his flight and how they all managed to get on the same flight again.

Looking forward to those episodes.
reno
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I guess more than anything is that I'm just tired of the idea of time-travelling in movie/series/books...

I'll watch the dvd once the season is over cause it's a damn quality show and maybe it will turn out great but I would be really surprise: Time travelling in media is really risky and I never seen it pulled off really well.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Another awesome episode this week! At first when I saw it was a Kate-centric show, I had to roll my eyes, but Lilly really pulled it off. She actually had me feeling for Kate, which is no easy task. The nuances of her scenes with Holloway were top-notch, and I was glad to see them tie up some loose ends for us. And that ending! Next Wednesday can't come soon enough.