FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> The Serpent and the Rainbow
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 am  Reply with quote

"In April 1982, ethnobotanist Wade Davis arrived in Haiti to investigate two documented cases of zombis-people who had reappeared in Haitian society years after they had been officially declared dead and had been buried. Drawn into a netherworld of rituals and celebrations, Davis penetrated the Vodoun mystique deeply enough to place zombification in its proper context within Vodoun culture. In the course of his investigation, Davis came to realize that the story of Vodoun is the history of Haiti-from the African origins of its people to the successful Haitian independance movement, down to the present day, where Vodoun culture is, in effect, the government of Haiti's countryside.

The Serpent and the Rainbow combines anthropological investigation with a remarkable personal adventure to illuminate and finnaly explain a phenomenon that has long fascinated Americans."

Richard Bastard turned me on to this book and it's, in a word, brilliant. The book touches on so many interesting ideas I felt like making an outline of it while I was reading so I could go back and read up on the different aspects of voodoo and Haiti past and present. Had I read this book before I graduated High School I think I'd be an ethnobotanist right now.

Wade Davis has a great writing style and I've started looking for other books by him. I don't even care what the subject is, he makes everything seem interesting and it's all very thought provoking. Sometimes he'll go into great detail on things and then other times he'll just mention something in a sentence and then start a new paragraph with an entirely new focus. It's really fun to read and I highly recommend this book to everyone. I don't care what a persons interest might be in there is something for everyone in these pages.