Spaceshark
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have yet to play it. I hate you all.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:42 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I just hit my first game-breaking bug.

Ouch.

Reading up a bit, there are more lurking out there.

Oblivion had similar issues, so I'd hoped they'd spend more time on the core quests and making sure they worked.

That's going to hurt them in the review. I know open world games must be a bitch to QA (that's what i do as my mild-mannered alter ego when I'm not rocking the horror world) but man...there are way less quests in this than Oblivion so having one just plain break outright is a big deal.

At least my bug isn't in the main quest...others I've read haven't been so lucky. All I can say is save now, save often, and save in different slots. Do NOT rely on autosaving...lest you lose two or three hours of game time like I just did.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Same here, I was just about to finish up the side quest Reilly's Rangers when my screen went black during a loading screen. I spent alot of time on that side quest. Sad
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Did you know you could shoot a grenade out of the air? A merc threw one and me, and I immediately hit VATS to target him. Instead, it locked on to the grenade with a 95% hit chance. Needless to say, it was one of the coolest things I've seen in this game. Now I'm wondering if you can shoot missiles also.
20 hours in and have hardly done any quests besides the survival guide. It's looking like game of the year to me.
Impure159
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:35 am  Reply with quote

I lost about 6:30 worth of playtime thanks to not saving enough, but thats not happening again.

This seems like another game I'll be putting a few hundred hours into like Oblivion.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Just finished my first playthrough. Went the 'good' route and definitely skipped a lot of side quests (wanted to write the review before the sequel comes out in 2015 or whatever).

In short: -hawesome-. Full review coming after the weekend.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Just finished my first playthrough. Went the 'good' route and definitely skipped a lot of side quests (wanted to write the review before the sequel comes out in 2015 or whatever).

In short: -hawesome-. Full review coming after the weekend.

I noticed you got to level 20 pretty fast. I can see why, with the review and all. But this is one game that should not be rushed otherwise. So much to do and see, it's like a fancy-pants dinner. You take your time, enjoy all the tastes and aromas, and don't skip to the dessert.
I for one salute your dedication as a reviewer. I get the feeling most internet critics don't even play the games all the way through before slapping a 3 out of 5 on them. They play just enough to get the review out while the game's in the spotlight.
One case in particular was Alone in the Dark. Not many people mentioned the near game breaking Central Park clusterfuck near the end.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:15 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:

I noticed you got to level 20 pretty fast. I can see why, with the review and all. But this is one game that should not be rushed otherwise. So much to do and see, it's like a fancy-pants dinner. You take your time, enjoy all the tastes and aromas, and don't skip to the dessert.
I for one salute your dedication as a reviewer. I get the feeling most internet critics don't even play the games all the way through before slapping a 3 out of 5 on them. They play just enough to get the review out while the game's in the spotlight.
One case in particular was Alone in the Dark. Not many people mentioned the near game breaking Central Park clusterfuck near the end.

Honestly? Played it on Easy. I usually do that anyway, but when I'm reviewing an otherwise massive title, it's either that or review it before it's completed and that's just generally not okay. I know a lot do it, and I -have- done it before...but I specifically mention it in the review. Almost always I'll either just not do the review or will pass it on to someone else. We don't rate free games for reviews (back in the day, I did frequently get PC games sent to me to review, but those days are long gone) so there's no feeling of 'man, I need to at least DO a review here'.

Alone In The Dark is a great example. Thankfully, I didn't have that one assigned to me, because it would have gotten a 'fuck this' from me, at best. I gave up within the first few hours. That car chase away from the initial apartment building. Multiple cheap deaths based on crappy controls. After dozens of other cheap deaths due to crappy controls, crappy cameras, and just generally crappy game design, I just took it out and sent that shit back to Gamefly. (Thankful I didn't make the mistake of putting money on it.) If I -had- been assigned it and we had an obligation to at least publish -a- review, I'd have had to say just that and give it a hell of a negative review. Sorry, but if I can't even stand to muddle through your game, you have no right to anything other than negativity. Silent Hill 5 is another example. I have no idea what Plagiarize played, but we were -way- far apart on that one. I couldn't even be arsed to finish it.

This is the first time I think I'll actually say that easy was just a little -too- easy. It's true that I just finished playing through Oblivion last month with two characters and in general have played these kind of games since I was a tyke, but I'd rather focus on the story and mechanics than 'oh good, died again, let's replay that last 20 minutes for the third time. That said, I did run up to 20 very, very quick. Of course, I've been home sick with a nasty respiratory infection since it came out, so I've had a LOT of time to dump into it. I'd say I spent around 20 hours, maybe a little more. (Can't be sure because, and I am loathe to admit this, I fell asleep playing more than once and it stayed on all night collecting gametime.)

This is definitely a game where the core storyline and quest is really just the box the real presents are wrapped in. The vast majority of the content lies outside that quest. So I finished the main quest and maybe 40% of the other content. (About half of the side quests that have achievements attached, and just a small percentage of the 'freeform' quests and random stuff...the strategy guide lists -80- random and recurring encounters you can have just walking around...apart from freeform quests and the side quests.)

I AM going back through, I'm using the strategy guide to help find everything and see everything I want (and farm those luscious achievements) but I definitely saw enough of both the core quest and the side quests to see what the game has to offer and do the write-up. I plan on doing a neutral karma and a bad karma character, so two more playthroughs, at least one WAY more detailed than this one. Between that and what I'm sure will be a plethora of DLC (Oblivion had more DLC than any other 360 title published so far) I probably have several MONTHS of game left to play...which is one of the reasons why it has so much win.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Oh, and one quick clarification: I didn't rush. I complained a lot about the fact that my review might not be ready for two weeks, but rushing just makes for bad reviews. I knowingly bypassed some of the optional stuff, but I definitely stopped and smelled the glowing cave fungi. Hit several of the random 'dungeons', explored most of the map, built all but one custom weapon, found many of the unique weapons, found about 7 bobbleheads, killed over 300 people (got that achievement with my -last- kill of the game, go figure)...yeah, I didn't skim anything. Smile
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Playing it on easy makes for bad reviews too because how difficult a game is should factor in...In case anyone was on the fence...I can't tell you how many people thought this game was just a shooter and either bought it when the found out it was an RPG or straight up turned it down because of it...A lot of people find these kinds of games difficult outright, then add tough enemies in real-time? They wouldn't even rent it.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The review is up for your reading pleasure.
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:13 am  Reply with quote

still on my first playthrough, but gonna have to do a second for sure as I missed an assload of quests do to...well, killing many people at random, heh
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Just beat it...I was practically Jesus with how high my Karma was...I did every side quest except for the slaver one because I didn't want to fuck up my Karma but I might go back and do it for the achievement points...The main quest was WAY too short and easy...I figured the last quest would be EPIC, but it really wasn't...And the fact that the ending was identical with 2 choices and 1 variant (mind you, this is with good karma) I was a bit let down.

While I loved the game, I definitely don't think it was a GAME of the YEAR worthy title...Nope, I still think Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid deserve those.

EDIT: Went back and did Strictly Business (The slavers quest) and still had amazing Karma.

So I beat every quest on the retail game...Don't think I'm going after the DLC seeing as how I just traded it in for points to by GTA tomorrow.
goblin310
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

Did anyone find the Dunwich Building!?!?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah. Why?