FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Saints Row 2
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Makes me so happy.

Did anyone else get it or did it fade into obscurity after Dead Space and Silent Hill decided to ship so close to each other?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Never even played the first one. I can only tke so much GTA games before they all start looking the same. I'll rent it later, or pick it up used if it's good, but right now I'm playing Fracture and Dead Space, with Silent Hill waiting in the corner.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

It's a weird thing to say, but sandbox style aside, Saints Row and GTA are way different from each other.

The latter (or at least part 4), was about as funny as Cannibal Holocaust. The former on the other hand, takes things so far over the top that you can't help but be entertained.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

GTA IV was very funny. It wasn't as goofy previous ones. Which I appreciated more. I have Saints Row 2 but I need to beat Dead Space before I can really sink my teeth into it. Loved the first one though.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

I got it Thursday, but just started playing it today (school, work, all that jazz). It's definitely way over the top, which I like. The Mayhem thing is just ridiculous as almighty hell. Blowing up as much property (and people) as possible within a set time limit, gaining a combo multiplier the more destruction you string together... Awesome.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:53 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
GTA IV was very funny. It wasn't as goofy previous ones. Which I appreciated more. I have Saints Row 2 but I need to beat Dead Space before I can really sink my teeth into it. Loved the first one though.

Agreed. It has it's moments of brevity. After all, one of the most overlooked aspects of the GTA games is the dark humor and sharp parody.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Been playing Saints Row 2 nearly constantly for the past week. Nearly completed the storyline then gonna get stuck into all the activities etc. It really is a fantastic game...so much to do, and so much fun.

A few people I know don't want to play it as they think it's like a serious "paper gangsta" simulator, but seriously...it has its tongue planted so firmly in cheek it'd need some serious surgery to remove it. I'd definately recommend it to any 360 owner - I'd rank it higher than the GTA series in terms of sheer fun - and isn't that what video games are for?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I read that there was a zombie minigame you can unlock. Has anyone played it yet? And if so, would it push me over the fence to buy it?

EDIT- can't spell Sad
Pestilence
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:40 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

"Zombie Uprising" is a video game you can play in any of your "cribs". It consists of 6 escalating waves of zombies. There's you, a few survivors, and a limited amount of food and ammo. You need to stay alive as long as possible against an increasing horde of normal zombies, really damn tall zombies, running zombies, running flaming zombies, and exploding running zombies.

It's a lot of fun, and actually very challenging.

YOU NEED THIS GAME.

The best "easter egg" I've come across is getting your character to sing along to the radio. I got mine singing to "Take On Me" by A-Ha....laughed my fucking ass off, and got an Achievement for it. Simply fantastic.
nhseagle112
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

ive beaten the story line once with a guy working with a girl now and im through 2 of the gangs. this game is awesome and very addictive.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Satchel charges are my best friend.

Also, Pestilence, did the sing-along happen in the Sons of Samedi mission where you gun down the choppers? That's the only time I had someone sing along (and if it is, then wasn't the one singing actually Pier5ce?)

Oh, and The brotherhood cutscenes were rad.

P.S I'm happy that my character looks like an A&F model who's perpetually stuck in tightie-whities.

P.S.> Also, on GTAIV, I loved the Republican Starship Troopers. That was awesome.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:
Satchel charges are my best friend.

Also, Pestilence, did the sing-along happen in the Sons of Samedi mission where you gun down the choppers? That's the only time I had someone sing along (and if it is, then wasn't the one singing actually Pier5ce?)

Oh, and The brotherhood cutscenes were rad.

P.S I'm happy that my character looks like an A&F model who's perpetually stuck in tightie-whities.

P.S.> Also, on GTAIV, I loved the Republican Starship Troopers. That was awesome.

Pierce does sing along to the radio, and argue about it, on a couple of missions. Your character singing along is difference though.

A LITTLE SPOILERISH SINCE YOU GET AN ACHIEVEMENT FOR IT :

The only songs I know this works with are "Take on Me" and "The Final Countdown". Go buy these at the nearest record store, then create your own playlist in the game menu containing only these two songs.

Now, hop in a car and set the radio to "My Radio". Just drive around for a while and let the songs play. As far as I'm aware, you have to listen to one of the songs for the ENTIRE LENGTH, start to finish, without getting out of the car. The next time that song comes around, your character should start singing it while you drive.

Takes a bit of listening to the same song a few times, but it's worth it for the hilarity.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:16 am  Reply with quote

OH MY GOD! This game has The Final Countdown in it? That is the raddest thing I've heard all day. Must buy game!
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

PestilencE: Cool, I'll try it out when I have the chance. I'm still preparin' for the final, final mission.