FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Silent Hill: Homecoming
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

In anticipation of its release on Tuesday (9/30/08 for those of us in North America) I figured I'd get a thread going.

I am a HUGE Silent Hill fan and finally got a next-gen console once they gave this a release date (just like I bought a Gamecube in order to get Resident Evil 4 not realizing that they'd eventually port it over to the PS2... whoops).

I didn't care for Silent Hill 4 so much but I think the first three are all great. I was tempted to buy a PSP in order to get Origins but luckily they ported it over to the PS2. I didn't care for the storyline at all and I felt like it disregarded a lot of the existing themes of the games so I am more than a little worried about Homecoming but I have my fingers crossed. Akira Yamaoka is still doing the music luckily, but he did the music for Origins too, so....

I'm taking the day off on 10/01 to play this so I'll post my thoughts once I've gotten into it and I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks once they're played it. Can the franchise be reinvigorated for the next-gen consoles or will this be the Jaws 4 of the franchise?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Holy crap. I didn't realize it was coming out next week. I hope it's as good as the first three. The Room sucked, I liked Origins better than that.

I will say I have my doubts, however. Mercenaries 2, Force Unleashed, Fracture and other recent releases just haven't wowed me. In the last month or so, the best games I've played are the Bionic Commando remake and Duke Nukem on XBL. The quality games should be hitting us soon, but so far nothing has made me sit up and take notice.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I believe our very own Plagiarize will have y'all covered with a review ASAP.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:38 am  Reply with quote

Lord above, my heart simply won't stand it if Homecoming turns out bad. I'd rather set fire to my cashmere collection than endure another bad Silent Hill Neutral

P.S. The above statement is a lie.

EDIT: IGN gave the game a 6.7. Reading the review, we share the same trepidation I had about having a character who's too "badass" for the series. Fuck. This makes me sad. I'll check out the other reviews when I find 'em.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

After looking so forward to playing this game and trying to cancel plans I had for the day I ended up only playing this for under an hour before I turned it off last night.

Where to begin?

The graphics are PS2 quality. Cutscenes aren't any more impressive than gameplay so far.

The thing that's bugging me the most is that when you pick up a file it's still present in the environment, so if you are exploring an area again looking for something you missed you'll keep re-reading the same shit over and over. It sounds like a little thing but it's one of those things I can't believe got through testing.

While the FPS-style control system is a step forward in some regards the camera still hovers way too close behind the character, leading to some "more of the same" moments where you get attacked by something off screen and are trying to move the camera while the thing keeps hitting you.

The story is incredibly unengaging so far. The dialogue is very hokey and I have already made my prediction on what's going on based on the obvious clues strewn throughout the introduction. If I'm wrong and the writers surprise me I'll be more than happy to have been duped but I don't think that's gonna happen.

On the bright side there have been two moments where I jumped off the chair while playing it 'cause of a monster ambush so there are some chills but despite it's heavy fog and abandoned buildings this game has little of the atmosphere that the earlier ones did.

I'll give it another shot later but man, what a letdown so far if first impressions are to be believed.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:59 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

mdamien13 wrote:
After looking so forward to playing this game and trying to cancel plans I had for the day I ended up only playing this for under an hour before I turned it off last night.

Where to begin?

The graphics are PS2 quality. Cutscenes aren't any more impressive than gameplay so far.

The thing that's bugging me the most is that when you pick up a file it's still present in the environment, so if you are exploring an area again looking for something you missed you'll keep re-reading the same shit over and over. It sounds like a little thing but it's one of those things I can't believe got through testing.

While the FPS-style control system is a step forward in some regards the camera still hovers way too close behind the character, leading to some "more of the same" moments where you get attacked by something off screen and are trying to move the camera while the thing keeps hitting you.

The story is incredibly unengaging so far. The dialogue is very hokey and I have already made my prediction on what's going on based on the obvious clues strewn throughout the introduction. If I'm wrong and the writers surprise me I'll be more than happy to have been duped but I don't think that's gonna happen.

On the bright side there have been two moments where I jumped off the chair while playing it 'cause of a monster ambush so there are some chills but despite it's heavy fog and abandoned buildings this game has little of the atmosphere that the earlier ones did.

I'll give it another shot later but man, what a letdown so far if first impressions are to be believed.

Man, I don't know what game you're playing but I am loving this. It's vintage Silent Hill.

PS2 quality graphics? Are you serious? The graphics are killer. Great character models. Great animation. Awesome monsters. And it's dripping with atmosphere. The 5.1 soundmix alone is worth picking it up for.

I feel like we're playing two different games entirely!
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Dammit!
I forgot this was coming out, and I blew my whole spending cash buying the Blu-rays of Halloween, The Thing, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Also, I didn't know Origins was ported over to the PS2 Shocked
Quick Robin, to the Amazon!
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
PS2 quality graphics? Are you serious? The graphics are killer. Great character models. Great animation. Awesome monsters. And it's dripping with atmosphere. The 5.1 soundmix alone is worth picking it up for.

I definitely agree with you about the sound mix... it sounds great on a standard TV audio but I hooked it up to a surround sound last night and they really outdid themselves with the details there.

As far as my take on the graphics; my wife (who is not a gamer at all but likes to watch the cutscenes and stuff) was walking through the room while I was playing this and thought I was playing a PS2 game. Maybe the fact that I played Call of Duty 4 and Devil May Cry 4 prior to this influenced my expectations but the latter games blew me away with their graphics while this one hasn't impressed me yet. The first time I encountered a dog I did a spit-take... it looked like a very incomplete Sci-Fi Channel CGI monster to me.

After playing through it some more I think it's better than I gave credit for (I suspect I had my expectations too high) in my original post.

What's bugging me right now is that everyone in the game is so non-chalant about their circumstances... it hardly evokes a sense of dread, instead it feels like sloppy writing. Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm being way too critical, but it felt like in the previous games you encountered people who were aware of how fucked everything had gotten but weren't letting on what they knew and you had to figure it out with them and now people are acting like a crime wave hit the town instead of a plague of monsters.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts...
Vilmer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 am  Reply with quote

I went into the game with mixed feelings... After completing my first playthrough, I can genuinely say that it is an absolutely amazing Silent Hill experience. Kudos, Double Helix, you've done extremely well.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:33 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Finally scored a copy yesterday, and just a few hours in I'm extremely impressed. The way they incorporated the best elements of the film (light/dark side switching realtime with reality stripping away to reveal the rusted nightmare world, the larger/deadlier bugs, the nurse design, etc) with the best elements from past games is awesome.

Yamaoka is firing on all pistons, and the new combat feels fantastic compared to previous entries. It gets out of the way so you can focus on the fear and the story. In past entries, combat was always annoying and a nuisance. Here, it feels much more visceral...a little drop of Resident Evil.

The story seems solid, and the voice acting is WAY better.

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the rest of it. (I'm currently in the junkyard in Shepherd's Glen, so it's early days.)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'm feeling extremely bored actually. The combat is the best "innovation" that I've seen so far. The Fog gimmick made sense in the earlier ones because it was used to mask draw in, but after the 6th time, it's tired.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I'm feeling extremely bored actually. The combat is the best "innovation" that I've seen so far. The Fog gimmick made sense in the earlier ones because it was used to mask draw in, but after the 6th time, it's tired.

Innovation isn't really the point of excellence here. -Refinement- is. This is a Silent Hill game. Unlike the last one, created by a burned out Team Silent, this one has all the traditional trappings just refined to much higher quality. Better graphics, improved combat, etc.

Beyond that, I have to ask: what were you expecting? The fog may have been a clever way to curtail a technological shortcoming, but at this point it's the trademark of the game. The fog/ash/snow is part of the Silent Hill effect. It'd be like Metal Gear Solid without stealth or a Final Fantasy game without outrageous hair.

It's all about atmosphere, storytelling, and dread...with a long-standing mythos that requires some very specific elements if you're going to please long-standing fans of the series. This one, so far, has hit all those nails on the head. I'm not sure why anyone would be bored, if they're familiar with the series and enjoy this kind of game. Maybe Dead Space will be more up your alley, with a more immediate and visceral experience?
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Finally finished it and while it did get better as far as gameplay and graphics (the Sepulchre fight was the highlight for me) the voice acting and story left me feeling almost nothing for it.

As a fan of the games I enjoyed the movie for what it was but I wasn't thrilled to see so much of the movie borrowed for this game - it just didn't jive with the mythos from the first three games. When the Order soldiers showed up I groaned, and I loved how they just conveniently faded out as the game wound down.

I did think that this game had some great moments, and there are some decent scares to be had. I liked the increased action w/o making this an action game and some of the creature design was very good, but too much of it came across as uninspired (see my earlier post about the sci-fi channel CGI on the dogs or the neon colored smog monsters) and the story did absolutely nothing for me.

Rather than play through the game again to get the other endings I just YouTubed them and I'm planning on trading this in for BioShock next week. I recommend Siren: Blood Curse over this one.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

mdamien13 wrote:
Finally finished it and while it did get better as far as gameplay and graphics (the Sepulchre fight was the highlight for me) the voice acting and story left me feeling almost nothing for it.

As a fan of the games I enjoyed the movie for what it was but I wasn't thrilled to see so much of the movie borrowed for this game - it just didn't jive with the mythos from the first three games. When the Order soldiers showed up I groaned, and I loved how they just conveniently faded out as the game wound down.

I did think that this game had some great moments, and there are some decent scares to be had. I liked the increased action w/o making this an action game and some of the creature design was very good, but too much of it came across as uninspired (see my earlier post about the sci-fi channel CGI on the dogs or the neon colored smog monsters) and the story did absolutely nothing for me.

Rather than play through the game again to get the other endings I just YouTubed them and I'm planning on trading this in for BioShock next week. I recommend Siren: Blood Curse over this one.

Shocked Trade it in for Bioshock?! You mean to tell me you don't own that one? You're a disappointment to me and your mother!
Never played the Siren games, heard they were so-so. The Fatal Frame series is still my favorite, barely edging out Resident Evil.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Shocked Trade it in for Bioshock?! You mean to tell me you don't own that one? You're a disappointment to me and your mother!
Never played the Siren games, heard they were so-so. The Fatal Frame series is still my favorite, barely edging out Resident Evil.

Mr. Green

I didn't own a X360 - I just got the PS3 and they're just getting around to porting it! I'm hoping my mom quits crying at the mention of my name once it's finally out.

The Siren games for PS2 weren't very good but they did a very good job streamlining it for the PS3. It's worth checking out at least the demo (download it for free on the PS3 network) to see if the stealth-combat works for you. The storyline still makes you figure out a bunch of things yourself but that's not always a bad thing.

And I totally agree about the Fatal Frame series (my favorite horror video game series as well). I cannot wait for part 4 on the Wii.