FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Most memorable concert experience
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of concerts...

I love hearing about them. What's your most memorable experience?

Mine 1989, Rosemont Illinois, the Rosemont Horizon, now the Allstate Arena because everything has to be owned by a corporation, Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

I got lucky in the lottery for my favorite band and wound up with 15th row seats. Me and my buddy rolled into the parking lot with 2 ounces of pot, 3 hours before the concert fully intending to smoke it all. What I didn't realize was that the parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon was going to become little Amsterdam. Every drug imaginable was on hand and everyone was trading. We wound up smoking about an ounce of weed as well as having a little coke, shrooms, acid and even nitrous oxide. Needless to say by the time the lights dimmed in the arena I was higher than I've ever been in my life.

I was in a trance for the whole show. The light show they put on was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. From a green waving ocean to every light in the house blinking on and off for Run Like Hell. When I wasn't staring at the lights my eyes were on David Gilmour. Such a stately gentleman. Just standing there smiling the whole time playing his guitar better than anyone else can do on the planet.

I've been to a lot of concerts in my day but nothing has ever or will ever even come close to that experience.
jonny_numb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

What a fitting topic to see, especially when I just saw Mindless Self Indulgence in concert last night. Though I wouldn't call it an especially memorable show, I do have one of my own:

Skinny Puppy @ the 9:30 Club in DC, sometime in June of 2004.

I only got into/knew of Puppy in my last years of high school, shortly after the band had broken up initially (after The Process), and one of the things my friends and I always lamented was the fact that we'd never have the honor of seeing them perform live.

Years later, after the band revived with The Greater Wrong of the Right my friends and I decided on our money's worth and got tickets for the DC show, plus one in Philadelphia the following night.

There was a lot of anticipation, and for the DC show my friend and I managed a spot, front-row-center, which we didn't move from for the duration of the night. There was a slight gap between the pit and the stage, enough for two or three bouncers to fit in, but the view was nearly three-dimensional.

The opening bands, Otto von Schirach and Tweaker (Chris Vrenna's post-NIN project) were actually very good.

The excitement for Puppy was palpable--you could feel it filling the room as the setup wore on. When the band finally took the stage, it was majestic and awe-inspiring; the stage production was excellent (not the slouch-job most bands put on after getting back together), the song choices were varied and surprising, and Ogre's stage presence just as commanding as I had seen it in the Ain't it Dead Yet? VHS years before.

As a counterpoint, maybe someone could create a "Worst Concert Experience" thread...I'd have a few for that.

Last edited by jonny_numb on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Saw Mastodon in the cramped back room of this now-defunct record store back in '02 ... or, maybe it was '01. That was pretty sweet.

Saw Fugazi in one of those death trap event tents on the National Mall during about the same time frame. In attendance, besides the usual Fugazi crowd, were a handful of crazy homeless people, some white collar Smithsonian types (this was at the Folklife Festival), and a troupe of Buddhist monks. Great concert. I got to hear half of the songs from 'The Argument' a full year before that album came out. What really made it memorable, however, was seeing my best friend get elbowed in the balls by this over-excited guy in a wheelchair sitting directly in front of us.

That was the first and last time I saw Fugazi. Real bummer, that, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

Although the single best show I've ever attended was Sonic Youth at the 9:30 Club back in '06. 'Rather Ripped' tour. I got drunk as fuck and had a 'scream-along' moment with Kim Gordon during 'Shaking Hell'. I've never been that excited about a show in my life, and probably never will be again. Until the Youth rolls back around, that is.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Wendy O' Williams post Plasmatics in a little club called The Cabooze. My friend and I ended up hooking with a guy who brought us to the lighting booth..well, area there was no booth where we got high with a local regge band called Ipso Facto and hung there the rest of the show. Later we met a couple girls and took off into the snow the rest of the night. This would have been....geez..1988 or 89 I think.
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Mine would be probably Loudness back in 06. I think I was the only person that most likely didn't end up deaf that night. Laughing
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Anthrax in '96 at the Palais Hotel in Newcastle, Australia.

They were on the 'Stomp 442' tour, and the show was insane. Frank Bello fell off the stage and John Bush nearly got into a fight with the security goons saying "Hey man, chill the fuck out! This isn't Guns n' Roses!!"

Not long after that the band got pissed off and walked off stage, then Scott Ian came out and talked to the crowd (he's actually really small) saying "We haven't seen a gig this wild since Jersey in '82!"

Then they came back out and continued to take the roof off the place. Razz

Great show.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Getting to see Tom Waits put on a 2 hour show in Chicago in 2006.
I first discovered Waits back in 1990, and I had to wait 16 years before I got to see him live.
He rarely tours, so going to that show was probably the greatest live musical show I've ever seen.
It was at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, and the show sold out in less than 5 minutes.
Thank goodness for Ticketmaster online.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

X-Count wrote:
Mine would be probably Loudness back in 06. I think I was the only person that most likely didn't end up deaf that night. Laughing

I saw the US debut of LOUDNESS in San Francisco in the 80's on the Law Of evil's Land tour w/EXODUS oening (back waaaaaaay before anyone knew who they were and they were growing out of being an Iron Maiden type band and had just lost Kirk Hammet to METALLICA)

But the best concert I've ever seen? REDD KROSS at The Fillmore on the Neurotica tour. Holy fuck...on a whim halfway through their set they threw in a performance of the Sgt Peper's album in it;s entirety, and acted out scenes from John Waters' DESPERATE LIVING ("Eat these daisies! Eat these fucking daisies!) annnnnd CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

And this is coming from a guy (me) who has seen METALLICA w/Cliff in small clubs and watched SLAYER write "Captor Of Sin" etc.

REDD KROSS were the best live band I have eeeeeeeeeever seen.