Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Heroes
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote

4 more days to go.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Tonight's premiere (pilot) "Genesis" in this episode we are introduced to Peter Petrelli, a young man who dreams of flying, and his brother Nathan, a ruthless politician who thinks that Peter is dreaming his life away. Meanwhile, ordinary people from all around the world are starting to suspect that they have abilities beyond those of normal humans. Artist Isaac Mendez believes that he is painting the future, High School cheerleader Claire Bennett is suddenly able to recover from any wound almost instantly, Japanese businessman Hiro Nakamura tries to convince a friend that he can bend time and space, and single mother Niki Sanders starts seeing strange things in mirrors. Upon learning of his father's death, genetics professor Mohinder Suresh begins to look into his research for a clue to why he was killed. When he follows his father's trail to New York City, however, he learns that someone else is on the trail of the same research. Someone who may kill to protect the secrets of the next step in human evolution.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:35 am  Reply with quote

You people better be watching "Heroes"!!! Annoyed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:02 am  Reply with quote

Even better the second time!!

I Am A Rockr! I Rock Out!

I hope this show lasts for a while, it's going to be fantastic! This is what X-Men should have been. Granted, the movies (parts one and two) are great, but this is just... wow. I loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morbid
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:17 am  Reply with quote

I didn't really know what to expect...but I will say this, I friggin' loved it. I know it is a pilot, and they usually pull out the big guns to get people watching, but it worked. I will definitely be watching this show again.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Finally after all the hype Heroes lives up to it. I say it's the best pilot I've seen since Lost. My favorite character is Hiro who adds humor but mainly accepts his powers without question. The acting and writing is pretty good as well, but now that the pilot has set such high standards well the rest of the episode be as good? I will be tuning in each week to find out.

If you missed it last night there's an encore tonight at 8 p.m.est on NBC.
MidnightDreamer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Well being a comic fan, when I heard about this show I was dying for it. Now that i've seen it, I'm impressed, i'll be there every monday night, I love the future seeing artist, I don't know why but I think he may turn out to be my favorite. Hiro cracks me
up as well.
Hopefully this show sticks around
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Watched it and enjoyed it. While not groundbreaking, it's still one of the more interesting pilots of the Fall season. The actress playing the cheerleader's mom was awful, I wasn't fond at all of the Indian doctor's overacting nor his over-the-top narration, some of the characters were a little thinly established as types more than characters, but hopefully we'll see some growth over the next few eps. Stylistically, it owes something of a debt to UNBREAKABLE. I'll certainly be tuning back in -- I hope they have a bang-up writing staff.

Oh, and Ali Larter is still as hot as ever.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with the Unbreakable comparison.

But I felt it went for a more "Crash" meets Marvel atmosphere.

I loved it, though. Watching the previews made me hit the roof.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:

You do realize the whole "disparate strangers bound by fate" ensemble thing goes back much further than (the highly overrated) CRASH, right? CRASH itself owes a lot to movies like SHORT CUTS and NASHVILLE (both of which are far superior) right? And CRASH dealt with coincidence and contrivance to outline cultural differences and to give a face to racism. This is a show about people with superpowers that are destined to save the world from a terrible disaster; a different animal altogether.

Frankly I don't see much of a comparison between them at all, other than the fact that they're both ensemble pieces. If anything, HEROES plays like J. Michael Straczynki's exceptional "Rising Stars" series (probably the most obvious influence -- if you haven't read it, you really should) crossed with the naturalism of UNBREAKABLE. Unlike the contrivances that brought people together in CRASH, the people in HEROES are linked in a BIG way.

Last edited by Messiahman on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:

You do realize the whole "disparate strangers bound by fate" ensemble thing goes back much further than (the highly overrated) CRASH, right? CRASH itself owes a lot to movies like SHORT CUTS and NASHVILLE (both of which are far superior) right? And CRASH dealt with coincidence and contrivance to outline cultural differences and to give a face to racism. This is a show about people with superpowers that are destined to save the world from a terrible disaster; a different animal altogether.

Frankly I don't see much of a comparison between them at all, other than the fact that they're both ensemble pieces. If anything, HEROES plays like J. Michael Straczynki's exceptional "Rising Stars" series (probably the most obvious influence -- if you haven't read it, you really should) crossed with the naturalism of UNBREAKABLE.

Yes, Messiahman, I'm PERFECTLY aware of that!

I just made a comparison because that's what it reminded me of, okay?

Why?! Why?! Why?!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:

Why?! Why?! Why?!

Sorry, but I really rather dislike CRASH and rarely miss a chance to point out how derivative and simplistic I find it to be. Razz

As for HEROES, here's hoping we get to see many more scenes of a scantily clad Ali Larter. :drool:
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:

Why?! Why?! Why?!

Sorry, but I really rather dislike CRASH and rarely miss a chance to point out how derivative and simplistic I find it to be. Razz

As for HEROES, here's hoping we get to see many more scenes of a scantily clad Ali Larter. :drool:

"Crash" is excellent, and you're stupid.... sorry, sometimes I have to channel the five year old in me. Smile

You weren't one of those people who thought it was a conspiracy "Brokeback" lost right? Because I hate those people. Laughing

But yeah, Larter be a hot bitch.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
"Crash" is excellent, and you're stupid.... sorry, sometimes I have to channel the five year old in me. Smile

You weren't one of those people who thought it was a conspiracy "Brokeback" lost right? Because I hate those people. Laughing

Nope, I'm one of the people who thought CRASH won merely because it's typical, television-grade pc pap with an obvious and pedantic message mixed into some rather mediocre writing, only buoyed by some good performances (namely Matt Dillon). I'm one of those people that finds Paul Haggis to be terribly overrated, and I think anyone who actually finds CRASH fresh and inspired needs an immediate crash course in Robert Altman and Spike Lee to set their minds straight. I'm also one of those people who thinks that those who take stock in the Oscars as sole arbiters of quality are fooling themselves.

I'm one of those people who thinks A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE is better than any of those films that were nominated.

And by the way, FIGHT CLUB is excellent, is indeed much better than CRASH, and YOU'RE stupid. Nyah! Channeling the inner five-year old is fun!

Terminal wrote:
But yeah, Larter be a hot bitch.

You damned 23-year old New York misogynist. Just for that, I'm deleting my Myspace account! No, say hello to MY little friend!

Last edited by Messiahman on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

There's only one movie called Crash - and it's from David Cronenberg.