FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Rock Band 2
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I saw UC out there playing it yesterday when I was. Who else has their copy and is re-writing rock history?

Last edited by Mr. Dark on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I rented it this morning and I'm having problems. Is it just me or did the hit window on the drums shrink? The bass and guitar play exactly the same as before but the drums just feel weird. I'm not great, but I know I'm hitting those notes but it keeps showing as a miss. Nothing game breaking, but my streaks are not as long as they should be. Other than that, I love the new setup, the ability to change instruments and number of players in band mode, and the drum practice mode. Now what the hell happened to the jukebox mode? Did they forget to put it in?
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go unlock Peace Sells. OH HELL YEA!!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
OK, I rented it this morning and I'm having problems. Is it just me or did the hit window on the drums shrink? The bass and guitar play exactly the same as before but the drums just feel weird. I'm not great, but I know I'm hitting those notes but it keeps showing as a miss. Nothing game breaking, but my streaks are not as long as they should be. Other than that, I love the new setup, the ability to change instruments and number of players in band mode, and the drum practice mode. Now what the hell happened to the jukebox mode? Did they forget to put it in?

Calibration, maybe?
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Must get it soon.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Primary thing for me? Solo world tour. I tend to play alone, and that really locked me out of the single coolest thing about the original game. Now I have my tour bus and merch girl and am about to take over the east coast. Being able to pick your own setlists is awesome, getting RB1 tracks thrown at you in random setlists along with new stuff is awesome, the whole damn thing is just AWESOME.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

frank_dracman wrote:
Now what the hell happened to the jukebox mode? Did they forget to put it in?

We were wondering about that too. Maybe it'll be part of an upgrade?

UC and I are having a blast. Usually he plays guitar & I sing, so having the ability for one of us to take a break now and then but still keep going in tour mode is a huge improvement. They've definitely made the singing a little easier -- I got 100% on some old RB1 songs that I used to struggle with a little. And I have to say belting out stuff like Aqualung and You Oughta Know was awesome! But nothing beats Alive. Nothing.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

Calibration, maybe?

Nope. Like I said everything feels the same except the drums. I monkeyed around with it just to be sure, and it's the same.
Oh, and I'm super awesome, by the way. Got 100% perfect on EXPERT playing bass on What You Want by Beastie Boys! Beat that, suckas!
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Can someone please explain to me in detail how to "gold star a song"?

And how do you get the play a different instrument than the one specified in the challange achievement?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
Can someone please explain to me in detail how to "gold star a song"?

And how do you get the play a different instrument than the one specified in the challange achievement?

Her's a quote I found- "its basically that u have to score a "6 stars" while playing on expert. so play on expert, and then get a score that is equivalent to a 6th star. aprox. 1.3-1.4 times more than 5 stars." In other words, something that I will never, ever see.
Sorry, your other question makes no sense to me. Haven't gotten that far yet I guess.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Per the challenge achievement:

Let's say Debi wants to try one of the vocal challenges. You can play along on guitar, even though it isn't a guitar challenge. If she meets that challenge, you get the achievement you're talking about.

Per drums: haven't tried it myself yet. May not until I can afford the new drums. I've only done guitar so far, trying to unlock all the songs and all the basic achievements. Having a blast!

The single biggest new feature to me is the 'no fail' mode. I LOVE playing the drums...but my legs don't work so well, so I'm limited in both how long I can play and how well I do. With no-fail, I can play all I like and just ignore the drum pedal if my leg gets tired. It'll also allow me to play much harder levels, since I only have trouble when I integrate the leg as well as the arms.

Setting up playlists is another thing I'm loving. I use RB as a workout tool, and not having to take three minute breaks between songs while you navigate the menu and load a new one greatly enhances the cardio portion of the workout.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:00 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

FUCKIN' AAAAARGH!

Waited a year for the original to finally arrive in the UK, and now it looks like it might be a similar wait for the sequel.

Harmonix are really fucking up their chances in the UK market considering Guitar Hero World Tour will be released here next month.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Thanks Dark!

If anyone wants the Gold Star a song achievement fast and easy just play the bass on the Beastie Boys' So Whatcha Want on expert.

A monkey could do it in the dark with no prior knowledge of the game with the regular controller. I'm not kidding.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Damnit, still have to wait for the Bundle set...either GH4 or Rock Band 2's.

The wait is killing me. I'm not going to invest in the first one yet.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Uncle Creepy wrote:
Thanks Dark!

If anyone wants the Gold Star a song achievement fast and easy just play the bass on the Beastie Boys' So Whatcha Want on expert.

A monkey could do it in the dark with no prior knowledge of the game with the regular controller. I'm not kidding.

That would also score the 'Ultimate Groove' (or whatever it's named) achievement, yeah? As long as you play it like a standard bass with upward strokes?
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Oh, and the unreleased megahit Charlene (I'm Right Behind You) is heading to the Marketplace.

http://kotaku.com/5048401/stephen-colbert-hits-rock-band

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell