FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Pine Deep Trilogy
Scotto
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I recently backed up to the first in Jonathan Maberry's Pine Deep trilogy, called Ghost Road Blues. This guy's the real deal, and an affable chap, to boot. Met him at Monstermania and he was nice enough to let me go on a bit about my own writing aspirations. Got the two books I was missing signed (I'd already read the middle one) and am having a blast taking it from the top.

If anyone thinks that horrible man-creatures with jagged appetites for blood taking over a town famous for its terrifying Halloween hayrides sounds like it could be a good story, I strongly recommend that you trust yourself on it.

You can learn more about this cat here.
bLueAURA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

yes!

i'd bought Ghost Road Blues and Dead Man's Song around the same time. one day, bored and looking for something to read, i picked up Dead Man's Song on a whim and started reading it, not realizing it was a sequel. i was really confused with the way the book started by recapping things... and then it hit me that i was reading the wrong book. so i started reading Ghost Road Blues instead and, even though i knew the fates of several main characters and some of the suspense was kinda killed for me, i still loved the book and read it voraciously... i finished it in about a day and a half and it's a pretty lengthy book.

jonathan maberry is a great writer - theses books have such a complex and fascinating plot and his descriptions are incredible - he often writes about what a person would see if looking at a scene, making the book read like a movie. the "local flavor" is great and his characters are so well-done.

it's been a while since i read ghost road blues and i got about halfway through dead man's song. i think i stopped because i burned myself out on the story after reading so much of it so quickly but will definitely pick it up again and finish it. he's a really great writer.