FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> SW: The Force Unleashed
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

After a couple hours playing here's my thoughts-
Feels like they took the PS2 Lord of the Rings games and mixed them with Psi-Ops. One OK game and one great game (Psi-Ops) equals one slightly above average Star Wars game. I'm not going to comment about glitches, graphics, story or frame rate. Those things don't make or break a game to me. It's all about the control, level design and if I'm having fun. I did, for a while. Then I started to wonder if this is all there is. Sure, you get more moves and powers as the game progresses, but I just found myself getting bored pretty quick. A good rental, but I can't see spending $60 on it.
3 out of 5
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:24 am  Reply with quote

Thankfully I work at a Gamestop so I didn't have to pay for this game. I think if I did I might have been SERIOUSLY pissed. Not because the game is terrible, but because it's so damned short and has very little reason to play through more than once save for a different ending.

The whole thing took about 7 hours of play time, including the numerous times I had to start parts over again for various reasons, including and not limited to, a terrible camera, a wonky targeting system, cheap deaths, and even getting stuck in environments due to clipping.

If the Empire had this many crack shots in the movies they wouldn't have lost to the Ewoks. The best snipers in the world/galaxy matched who work in tandem with a camera system that hates players.

That's not to say the game was bad, it wasn't because if it was I wouldn't have finished it. No, the problem is that every level requires the same type of play over and over, and while it's never boring, the few instances of variety are too few and far between.

And considering what a badass I became in Knights of the Old Republic, the Force Unleashed feels more like The Force Mildly Restrained. Nearly every one you hit can take abuse from a light saber before they fall over dead, and Force Push is more like Force Shove. It's easiest just to use Force Grip and toss your enemies off the platforms to their deaths.

Play it for the decent story and pretty graphics if nothing else. Amusing while it lasts save for the annoying problems.

7/10 (which would probably be lower if I had paid for it)