FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Richard Laymon's THE WOODS ARE DARK - Restored and Uncut
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:49 am  Reply with quote

Butane posted another of his fantastic Laymon review: http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/woods-are-dark-the-book

Okay, so I've got the locally released Headline edition of THE WOODS ARE DARK and the new 'Restored and Uncut' Leisure version sitting side-by-side next to me right now. I haven't read the new version yet, but I've noticed a few cosmetic differences.

Note that both editions seem to have the same font and margin size.

Page Count: Headline - 247, Leisure 'Uncut' - 209

Chapters: Headline - 41, Leisure 'Uncut' - 37 and a new Epilogue.

I read someone make the point that the British edition (which supposedly our version is the same as) was much more 'complete' that the Warner hatchet-job that this new version rectifies. That same person also made the claim that the Leisure 'restored' version actually has less than the original British edition.

Just taking a look at the first page the Headline edition I've had for about 15 years and it has a few more lines of dialogue right off the bat. Upon further investigation I can see no sign of the 'Peg and Jenny' sub-plot in the new version that is such a significant part of the old Headline version.

Yep! Another quick flick and I can confirm that that storyline is NOT in this new 'restored' version. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that that whole sub-plot is kicked off by a small girl slitting a cop's throat with a razor. But the fact remains that the chapters of Robbins' attempts to get his sister and niece safely out of the town are not in this alleged 'uncut' edition.

But, as Kelly Laymon states in her intro, there is quite a bit of new 'Lander Dills' stuff that is not in my version. And my guess that a significant portion of the new pages comprise of this stuff, even though it completely omits a bunch of other chapters dealing with these other characters.

It's all so confusing, and the only way I can definitively say anything on the subject is if I literally read both books back-to-back. But as of now it looks like there will always be two versions of this great book. Until another version is published that includes the excised 'Peg and Jenny' plot strand.

Last edited by Cash Bailey on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 11 times in total
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:40 am  Reply with quote

Sorry, dudes. I seemed to have posted this thread twice while dealing with some 'server issues'.

Hopefully the kind folk at DC will rectify this ASAP.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:43 am  Reply with quote

Hopefully... Embarassed
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Cash Bailey wrote:
Upon further investigation I can see no sign of the 'Peg and Jenny' sub-plot in the new version that is such a significant part of the old Headline version.

"Uncut" may not be the best word to use in this case, "restored" would be better. I believe that subplot was not something that Laymon wanted in his story, rather it was something that the publisher and an editor forced into the story. I know from an interview with Kelly Laymon that there are entire characters and subplots that were in the original hack job that were thrown in by the publisher.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe, but my point is that my version is supposedly the British edition that went through relatively unscathed. And that version is still considerably longer than this new one.

You gotta admit, it is an intriguing situation.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

If Kelly is to be believed from the interview, the British versions of his books would also get edited.

"The British publisher, Headline, would sometimes ask for a couple things to be changed whether it was, you know, excessive violence or a good character doing something bad but he[Richard Laymon] usually had control over it."

Laymon himself said that he never thought that the original could ever be restored, which leads me to believe that there were some serious differences between what he wanted and even the British version.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

That would make sense. My guess that someone asked Laymon to have at least a couple of sympathetic characters that live in the town.

And those chapters are some of my favourite stuff in the book.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Do all versions have the same utterly ridiculous ending? I don't want to spoil it here. I'm sure people who read it know what I mean.