FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Would a Dracula fan enjoy Twilight?
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the original Bram Stoker novel, and ever since then, I've had a thing for vampires. Although that being said, my tastes run more towards the "Salem's Lot" vampires rather than the "Anne Rice" kind (although I've never read any of her stuff so who knows).

It seems "Twilight" seems to be the next big thing in vampire fiction, so I was wondering if I'd enjoy it. I'll admit that I've never been crazy about the "romanticizing" of vampires (I seriously have an easier time sympathizing with Satan than Dracula) but I suppose I could handle if its a good story. I know next to nothing about it save that its about a vampire teen(?) that falls in love with a girl. It's obviously not in the same vein as Dracula (and I'm not expecting the same level of quality), but I'm curious if it's worth a shot or if I should skip it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

I got Anne Rice's first vampire novel in a care package when I was in the Gulf. Absolutely horrible. I hated every word but what else was I gonna do?
Elf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:53 am  Reply with quote

Do not read it. This series is a guilty pleasure for ditzy teenage girls and bored housewives.
Maleficent
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:52 am  Reply with quote

This might be a little unfair, since I myself have not read the novel, but my advice would be to skip it as well.

I too love vampires. I like the idea of a vampire romance, but I think it tends to be executed very badly. Or let's just say that I think that the Vampire Romance subgenre tends to emphasize the romantic over the horrific. The fact that vampires are traditionally parasitic (and evil) walking undead tends to get lost in the typical romance-novel presentation of them being ancient and beautiful and dreamy and romantic and well, in Twilight's Edward's case, sparkly. Yes, he LITERALLY sparkles in the novel.

If you're really curious, and want some laughs, look up the massive amount of wank associated with the crazier aspect of Twilight fandom. Google in "Twilight Wank" to look that up. Or, for some literary criticism, Google up some of the Twilight hate communities on Live Journal if you'd like to read some commentary on why the books are considered dreadful by many people.
belle morte
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Mephistopheles wrote:
I'm a big fan of the original Bram Stoker novel, and ever since then, I've had a thing for vampires. Although that being said, my tastes run more towards the "Salem's Lot" vampires rather than the "Anne Rice" kind (although I've never read any of her stuff so who knows).

It seems "Twilight" seems to be the next big thing in vampire fiction, so I was wondering if I'd enjoy it. I'll admit that I've never been crazy about the "romanticizing" of vampires (I seriously have an easier time sympathizing with Satan than Dracula) but I suppose I could handle if its a good story. I know next to nothing about it save that its about a vampire teen(?) that falls in love with a girl. It's obviously not in the same vein as Dracula (and I'm not expecting the same level of quality), but I'm curious if it's worth a shot or if I should skip it.

If you prefer the monster kind of vampires - like you said, the brand from Salem's Lot or 30 Days of Night where they're pure monster - then definitely skip it.

To be unbiased and non-venemous about it - it's a series of books geared toward a younger crowd that does romanticize them. I've read two of the books and I'll be honest - so far, I liked the hell out of them. But I'll take my vampires any which way, romanticized or monstrous. But if you stick with your preference I would suggest you give them a pass.
X-Count
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 am  Reply with quote

My friend made me read this damn thing thinking I'd learn about love from it...... Pffft! I didn't learn shit except unrealistic, cheesy horseshit! If you're wondering what Twilight is like..... it's like reading the most drawn out, pretentious fanfiction ever..... only it's sadly published.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I looked into it and decided that it's just not my thing, though.

(For the record, I'm enjoying True Blood right now, and that has 'romantic' vampires in it.)
X-Count
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Mephistopheles wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I looked into it and decided that it's just not my thing, though.

(For the record, I'm enjoying True Blood right now, and that has 'romantic' vampires in it.)

That's also probably 10x better written than Twilight though. Laughing
belle morte
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Twilight isn't so much a straight vampire story as it is a romance though. The "Dead" series (that True Blood is based upon) are more vampire based even though there's romantic parts to it. They're two very different types of stories - Twilight is a romance series that just happens to have vampires and werewolves. I don't think it really should have been marketed at all to the horror scene, really.
bruce brown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Twilight is HUGE in my house and I can't knock it. My daughter hated reading and it was a struggle to get her to read untill this series.
Now she reads all the time. Now me personally, um....no.
It's basically Romeo and Juliet with a vampire twist.
I like my vampires deadly not dating! HA! HA!
theXporcelainXdoll
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

would you rather have a sparkly boy or the famous count?
sparkles are overrated.