FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> E3 2008
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
Did they say what the target date for the new UI and Avatars are?

I like them, but I'm still getting used to the current system.

Also, I'll say this. E3 feels like it's lumbering to it's extinction. I remember being really excited for E3 for many years when it hit big. Now, it feels like we're not getting the best stuff then, and almost no surprises, and it's embarrassing to watch some of these scripted, cheesy presentations.

I will say this, and this is something probably no one will cop to...I thought "You're In The Movies" looked fun as all hell.

'Late Fall' for everything related to the 'new experience'. Basically, just in time to move new systems for Christmas.

E3 was lumbering towards extinction before. Now it's going strong. It was single-handedly killing the industry. Developers had to meet this completely arbitrary deadline to put together projects and present to the masses, and it landed right in the middle of crunch time for holiday releases. It was hurting games, even killing releases. (I'm willing to bet a rush to E3 (pun intended) was the killing blow for the legendary Dead Rush I covered way back then. We almost had GTA with zombie apocalypse, and now we don't due to 'quality issues'. All too often that involved a dev team putting so much effort into getting a demo ready for E3.

Now, the business E3 was intended to do (showcase entertainment software for media and buyers) is actually happening. Having been to E3 three times, it's clear that it had become 60% public, 40% actual business.

Now, PAX up in Seattle is taking the place of E3 for the public, in a format -intended- for public consumption. All the E3 madness goes on there, but companies don't have the stress of 'well, whatever we show here will be all the press we'll get between now and Christmas'. Those scripted, cheesy presentations are a good way to give early impressions of incomplete projects to a large number of media outlets at once, followed up by limited one-on-ones with development teams and limited play time with the software. Before, it was 'throw it out on the floor and pray to God it doesn't break'. You can see this, because of what you said about You're In The Movies. You got enough of an impression to form an opinion strong enough to share: that's the entire point of the controlled environment of these formal presentations.

Oh, and YITM? It looks like it'd be hilarious at the first party you throw...and after that, it'd collect dust or head straight for GameStop for your 5% trade in value.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

New addition yesterday: first full Project: Origin trailer. Looks like what it should be, F.E.A.R. but way better and bigger.

I'm playing through the original again so my wife can see the story, and I'm reminded how close they came to getting it right. It looks like they learned what lessons they needed to, and Origin looks to scare the living shit out of you.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

For me, after watching the presentation at E3, my most anticipated game is Mirror's Edge...I wasn't into the concept on paper but watching it in action was amazing.

Resident Evil 5 looks to be even better than 4.

Fallout 3, Borderlands, Resistance 2, and Dead Space all look promising.