FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Ray Garton Recommendations?
Rob
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:31 am  Reply with quote

I bought and read Ray Garton's Ravenous last week, which I have to say was one of the best werewolf books I've read. The idea of lycanthropy being transferred through sex, including rape, the way it was written in here really just got under my skin and made my mind race long after I read it. Of course this could have also been because I read it in one sitting through 4 in the morning.

Anyway, I ordered a copy of Live Girls, which I've heard was quite good, but if anyone has any other suggestions for any of his work I'm all ears.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

LIVE GIRLS is indeed damn fine and that's a compliment coming from a rabid hater of the vampire genre - or what passes for it most of the time! Unfortunately it's also the only book by Garton I've read so I'm not being very helpful here.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mr. Garton's work can come off as a bit shallow and amateurish. Also, some of the characterizations of ethnic people in his novels more than border on racist (see: the asian housekeeper in his novel Sex and Violence in Hollywood...holy fuck I showed this to my girlfriend who is a professor of ethnic studies and she couldn't believe it was written in the last 25 years)

As for LIVE GIRLS, ooh...vampirism as a parable for AIDS!

T.
R.
I.
T.
E.

Read Tom Piccirilli, David J. Schow, the horror work of Joe R. Lansdale, Bentley Little's early stuff, and Skipp & Spector for quality horror work. These authors range from literary to cinematic in their approaches but always always keep it fun.

Also, as someone who believes in remembering where you come from and who hates bandwagon riding, Mr. Garton readily aligned himself with the splatterpunk craze of the 80's then back peddled his ass off once the boot dropped on said subgenre.
bLueAURA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

i just finished The Loveliest Dead and liked it a lot... it's a good, quick ghost story, fast-paced with good characters