FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Marvel to publish King's The Stand
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

I read that at a recent convention King was quoted that Marvel is working on a graphic novel or comic series based on his novel The Stand.

Thoughts?

For me, I see it it as redundant since there is already a tv mini-series based on it. What more can a comic version deliver. I'd be much more interested in works of King's that probably wouldn't be very successful in the big/small screen format, but could work in comics form like from his Skeleton Crew, night Shift and other collections. Even better, maybe some of his past works under his Bachman pseudonym.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty much in agreement with you here about The Stand. Some of his Bachman works would be nice to see in comic format. As for Night Shift and other collections, it seems to me they'd be rather redundant as comics.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Azathoth wrote:
I'm pretty much in agreement with you here about The Stand. Some of his Bachman works would be nice to see in comic format. As for Night Shift and other collections, it seems to me they'd be rather redundant as comics.

Aren't there still a couple stories that haven't ever been adapted into another format?
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:21 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The folks at Marvel will re-imagine it closer, scarier, and better than mini-series.

I like the mini-series okay, but let's face it... it could've been better. Garris certainly hasn't done King any favors.

If the geniuses behind The Dark Tower comics are behind it, bring it on!
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
The folks at Marvel will re-imagine it closer, scarier, and better than mini-series.

I read The Stand in high school, couldn't put it down and loved it. But you know, I never found it scary. I loved the epic. I'm a comics nut and a mythology geek so it was the epic that drew me in, the horror aspects were just dressing that made it cooler.

I thought the mini-series was a faithful enough adaptation outside of some really dumb decisions to omit certain scenes and characters, but its production style and casting made it look so cheesy.

Quote:

If the geniuses behind The Dark Tower comics are behind it, bring it on!

Now you're fucking talking! The "born" series was cool and I look forward to picking up the new series. The art is fantastic.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

The info and art released over the weekend at Wizard World has me even more excited about this.

Dread Central posted an article about it on the main page.
Sexy Mcmanbeast
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I'm very excited, as I've read all the dark tower comics, and thought they were all fantastic.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Issue one is out and so far the narrative, characterizations and artwork are spot on. It's almost like I'm reading this story again for the first time. I really like how they introduced Stu, Frannie and Larry.
Myer's Son
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
Issue one is out and so far the narrative, characterizations and artwork are spot on. It's almost like I'm reading this story again for the first time. I really like how they introduced Stu, Frannie and Larry.

I can't believe how time has gone by so fast. One day I'm hearing a rumour about doing this in comic form, the next...It's OUT!!
So anyways, you suggesting to pick this up?
Myer's Son
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for double post.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Pick it up, it's great.